• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a resort for a week vaca

mskyfshntchr

The wife and I are looking at taking a week vaca this summer to a lake. I have 2 boys; 6 and 3 yrs old. Both like to fish and catch fish. So, pretty much looking for a good panfish lake. Would like it if some decent pike/musky or walleye also.

Would like it to have something for the kids to do besides fishing- playground, nice beach, etc. Would prefer a smaller lake also- not looking at anything like Mille Lacs or Leech size.

Kind of thinking Alexandria or Brainerd area. Not a must to go to either area, however.

Let me know if you have experience at a resort that might fit the bill.

Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Breezy point is a fun spot. Dont know if muskies up there tho.

Arrowwood on Darling, in Alexandria. Lake Oscar and Lobster are just down the road if your after ski's. Fishing for all other specie's, for both the kiddos and you; no need to go much further then Darling, but if you must, it's connected to some of the best multi-specie water in the state.

A first class resort with everything, and then some. Believe me when I tell you won't be disappointed, book today!!! grin

+1 on Arrowwood, been there a few times. Mantrap Lodge on Mantrap lake in Park Rapids. Clean resort and grounds, they have activities that involve guests, has a pool, kids playground, great owners. They have things for kids and adults. We've been there 4-5 times and we had our wedding there. It's one of the best resorts I've stayed at in MN. Lots of lakes nearby and Mantrap Lake is known for the muskies. I've seen them swimming near the docks.

• 2 weeks later...

Breezy Point is good and have stayed there many times, love going to the island and enjoying a few cold ones. Lake can be tough to figure out as far as fishing goes, hit and miss on eyes. Another resort that is nice in the Brainerd area and a little smaller on North Long is Train Bell Resort. Activities for the kids everyday, nice beach, theme weeks and being located on Merrifield bay it tends to be less crowded than the main lake. Plus the fishing is very good in that bay for eyes, pike and bass.

Grandview is nice but is spendy and you have Cragun's and Maddens in Brainerd as well that are good choices on Gull.

My family goes to Craguns almost every summer. My daughter loves it. Lots of activities for the kids, Good fishing from the dock or from the boat. Just a real fun atmosphere. Trying to figure out when to book this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check this one out it is west of Brainerd about 20 miles, my extended family (112 of us) have been here in July for 11 years and just love it.  They will be you favorite, and tell Heather Doc Hoogeveen sent you!

http://www.campfirebayresort.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Cragun's on Gull is awesome. Great Lake, great location, nice beach, nice outdoor pool, huge indoor pool area, great kids activities, playground, concrete boat launch, on-site dining, variety of room types, good docks, boat-gas, decent fishing, great boating, several restaurants with docks for boat-to dining, great sandbar for boat-to beach fun, nearby shopping in Nisswa & Brainerd, nearby kids activities (deer parks, go-carts, etc). Best part is, Cragun's is reasonably priced. It's an older facility, but all-in-all it's great fun and great value.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this one out it is west of Brainerd about 20 miles, my extended family (112 of us) have been here in July for 11 years and just love it.  They will be you favorite, and tell Heather Doc Hoogeveen sent you!

http://www.campfirebayresort.com/

​To echo Hoogie's suggestion, Campfire Bay on Fish Trap is a fantastic resort on a fantastic lake - great for families, lots of activities and great multi-species fishing.  Close enough to Brainerd for all the things that area has to offer, but far enough away to avoid the crowds & 30 ft cabin cruisers :)

Sunset Beach Resort on West Battle Lake! Have a permanent camper located there and have been going out almost every weekend for 15 years. The resort has a playground, beach, and boat and lift rentals. Also has a great swimming area with a slide and water raft. The lake is pretty quiet but is also located near Ottertail Lake which is more populated with several restaurants in the area. As for fishing, the lake is known for large muskies and walleyes. Haven caught several large walleyes myself and have seen a decent amount of 50+ inch muskies caught in the lake. Also has a bay not far from the resort which contains a lot of panfish and bass.