• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Weekend Sleeper House Rental?

Cobber

Afternoon!

I've never taken a weekend to Mille Lacs and we are thinking of taking a group or two of guys up for an overnighter here soon-

Few questions for those who would be willing to help-

1) How has the fishing been, and would the trip be worth it or do we drive the extra hours north to one of the others?

2) Suggestions for resorts to check out? (While we're going to be having a good time getting together, the main goal of each of us is to catch fish)

3) Any other suggestions anybody can help me with?

Thanks!

-Cobber

I like working with Paul at Hunter's Point he's always been good to me. As far as fishing it's been hit or miss. If you guys just want to come up and catch some fish you should be fine, especially if you end up doing a bit of hole hopping if it's nice out. But if you guys are all hoping to bring back a limit of Walleyes that might be tough since the pickens have been a bit slim for slot fish for most folks.

I've done the Mille Lacs dead sea thing too many times...I'd suggest you keep on driving (gas is cheap) and go to LOTW. You KNOW you will catch fish, and the money difference is not that great. Plus...sturgeon, saugers, eelpout, etc. (Oh yeah you can keep 8 fish, no more than 4 walleyes in combo with 4 saugers). I started going up to lotw 4 years ago and have never looked back. Even in slow years I way outfished Mille Lacs, for about the same amount of cashola.

We did Mille Lacs for about 10 years, fishing wasn't so great. So the last 3 years we've been to Red Lake and LOW. Up until this year, I would say go north. I've been to Red 2 times this year and I have had better luck on Mille Lacs. LOW is been good, but a lot of small fish, same as Mille Lacs. If your willing to go portable, I would say Mille Lacs, but if your looking to stay in the house and catch fish, go to LOW.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobber -

We have been up to Mille Lacs twice this year, and about to make our 3rd trip this weekend. Been heading out of Mac Twin Bay on the SE side of the lake. Kevin has always been great to talk to, and loves to put people on fish. He has several rentals, and when I stopped and talked to a couple of them last week, all were catching fish, and having a good time.

We have fished the gravel, and hit the breaks. Fished some at 26-29FOW and some at 22-23FOW. We found more luck in the deeper 26-29FOW, but all were smaller fish (12-17inch) Over the coarse of 2 weekends we have caught about 25 Walleye, zero keepers. Found that chartreuse eye jigs have produced the best, tipped with a rainbow minnow, on a rattle reel. I fish to spend time with family, have fun, catch fish, and if lucky put a meal together of fresh fish. Pretty much in that order. If you are looking to fill your limits, Mille Lacs may not be your best choice. If you are looking to go somewhere close to the cities, catch a few fish, and hang out with friends/family it might be the right place.

We have been up to RL this winter, and that was a blast. Bigger fish, about the same on quantity (spent to much time 'socializing'), but it was/is 5-6 hour drive one way. We kept about 15 fish in our house from RL, and made a nice dinner. Have not been back, only because I did not want to make the long drive for a Saturday and sunday morning worth of fishing.

I personally would rather go within 2 hour range of the cities, get on the lake by 5PM on Friday, be setup and fishing by 6, and leave on Sunday around noon (after morning bite), and be home by 2-3pm so I can get ready for the next week of work.

Couple great things about Mac's is they have a bar/restaurant (Buzzies on the Bay) right at the lake access, roads are excellent in the means of very well marked, and have lead us to fish, Office staff is friendly, Propane is available, showers and bathrooms are available on land. Several years ago we were on Mille Lacs and a snow storm came in, and Kevin was quick to make sure we were OK, had food, water, heat and anything else we needed. Being we were OK, and didn't need anything, he left us out there until after the storm, then came out and plowed a nice road directly to our door step the next morning, where he helped jump start our truck so we cold get off the lake. Well worth every penny I have ever given him.

I am sure other resorts offer similar service, and are great to work with. But I have not had any other experiences, so I can not speak to their abilities. But I can say I have heard bad things about resorts not taking good care of their roads, or being proactive about taking care of their customers.

Wow- agreed, VERY appreciated post Invader- as well as the rest!

Going to be booking here in the next 48 hours so if anybody else has their thoughts / suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Felling the pressure since I'm the one booking for a group of us- not a huge deal if it goes poorly, but always hope for the best!

Thanks again all!

-Cobber

I would also add, if there is any interest in spearing Kevin can make that available also, he has houses all set up, in good water.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Brother in law had a great time at highbanks on winny. hope to join him there in a week or so.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Check out the deals thread from the sponsors they are all good out fits and do their best to put you on fish. It might save ya a few bucks as well.

Appeldoorns is a good option too! They have super nice houses, and Paul is a great guy! Can't go wrong with any of the other options listed though!

Turns out... we picked one heck of a busy weekend around that area to book a trip! Few places were completely booked.

Got in at Appledorn's for that Feb 20th weekend-

Now just to find a generator to rent, and start trying to learn the lake so in case we aren't having any luck where they have the house- we can try to make some of our own luck with portables?

Fingers crossed on this one!

Looking for a place also Cobber. Were there any houses left after you booked yours?

How many people you got going? Good luck!

Talked to KJ's on SW part of the lake earlier. Has anyone rented from them? Read some not so good reviews on LSF forum from 2 yrs ago. Maybe they've improved from then... Any advice thanks?

Cannot speak for KJ's but be advised that the weekend of the 20th is the Perch Extravaganza, and I think the D.U. tourney is also taking place on the west side. It'll be VERY crowded around the big lake.

Fish man, they do have availability- quite a bit actually.

They have all of their availability online for appledorns, very handy.

Couldn't believe that almost all of the 6 hole sleepers and a few 8 holes left.

Hearing what the weekend has though I would say get in early.

I did call hunters point and they are totally booked.

We have four guys heading up and we have an 8 hole sleeper.

Turns out... we picked one heck of a busy weekend around that area to book a trip! Few places were completely booked.

Got in at Appledorn's for that Feb 20th weekend-

Now just to find a generator to rent, and start trying to learn the lake so in case we aren't having any luck where they have the house- we can try to make some of our own luck with portables?

Fingers crossed on this one!

That's the weekend of the perch extravaganza and ducks unlimited tourney not to mention last weekend of game fish. Heck of a busy weekend indeed you might as well enter into the perch extravaganza!

KJ always has a good time! If your going up that weekend he might even drive you to the weigh in. The guy knows how to have a good time. He will be at the extravaganza I bet, usually near the ladies!!!