• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Fishing Etiquette

buggydice

my ice fishing for the last 25 yrs has been to come up one weekend each year with buddies and rent an ice house from Brandts. This year I finally bought a portable JM Thermal X, Clam cordless drill auger kit and Vexilar flasher. so my question is when you go on the ice and pick out a spot to fish from what are the unwritten rules on how close to get to another ice house? I see guys drill a lot of holes quite a ways from their house so does that give them rights to that whole area or can I setup 20- 30' or so from them without getting into a conflict with them. I would not use any of their holes, I would drill my own holes(love my cordless drill auger). any response is appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't set up that close to someone, no need to. 30 feet is way too close. Give people space and find a spot that gives you 50-100 yards from another house.

Especially when fishing with electronics. Interference will ruin not only the people next to you's experience but your own as well. Generally if you set up near another person and notice interference, they are seeing the same thing. Of course there are times when this is unavoidable, but just try to be considerate.

State Law says 10' from another structure or angler. That's way to close for me but that's thev law. I'd watch what the guy is doing who drilled the holes, if he's hole hopping I'd give him some room as long as he's not onl MY doorstep. There are a lot of fish out there not just under his holes. I've actually had fun with guys that were close and we all drilled and just hole hopped every body's set of holes. Just have fun, life is way to short

As owner of a perm on the pond, I respectfully suggest not drilling within 75-100 feet of perm houses. In my opinion, any closer risks flooding for them. Personally, I would not set up within 50 feet of anybody else, no matter what on Mille Lacs. There just doesn't seem to be a need. That said, I've seen guys drill 11 feet outside my front door at sunrise. Some people's kids...

I keep 100 to 300 yds + from anyone, but I like to find my own fish.

Caught a dozen of these today, on the busiest faribault lake, not within a 1/4 mile from anyone.

Also responded to a cry for help, an older gentleman rolled his Wheeler.

Group fishing blows. I like to keep space, find fish, and have then all to myself.

full-48193-52324-camerazoom_201501211537

Interesting topic. Ice Fishing Etiquette. I would set up no closer to someone than a distance I would feel comfortable with someone setting up to me. Obviously this depends on your personal "bubble" but no need to crowd people. And just because there is a group of houses set up in one spot does not mean they are catching fish hand over fist.

I'd say if there's any doubt in your mind you're way to close. You'll find on here most of us fish as far way from people and try to find our own spots but you can go up to rush and have everybody set up ten feet apart. I'd say at least 75-100 yards but that's just me.

Should also mention driving out there, twice this year I have had trucks drive withing 10-15 feet of my portable. Not kidding either it was 3-4 steps to the tire tracks. When I'm the only one for a 1/4 mile. Then they set up 50 yards from me. I don't get why people can't give each other space out there when the lake is huge.

Interesting topic. Ice Fishing Etiquette. IMO if people don't have etiquette in living life, which most don't, you can't expect it in one area. In the Saint Cloud area for the most part I find ice fishers friendly and willing to help with depth or info in general, but don't try fishing between their feet:)

Everyone has a different Comfort Zone.

Remember that the lakes are public, and if yours is violated, if it is over the ten foot State Law, just suck it up and enjoy the day.

(rather than ruining your kids trip by spending the rest of thedaybitching)

thank you all for responding back. the primary lake I am ice fishing on is Cedar Lake by New Prague. it is a small lake with a lot of ice houses so may not be possible to keep some distance away from others, but will be considerate. nice crappie picture. thanks again

buggy, good luck with that on Cedar! Youll be cheek to cheek and venturing off into no mans land might sink your vehicle. Go somewhere else like Spring or Prior or further south or west would be my advice. 8"-9" crappies arent hard to find.

Dr. Juice, I actually moved from Apple Valley to Cedar lake the end of May. it wasn't bad early on with only portables, but now you can drive on the lake and here comes the perms(love to have one, have it on my wish list). thanks

Something that hardly ever gets mentioned on these types of threads is simply talking to the person you would like to fish near. If I am fishing all by myself and someone sets up 50 yards away from me I get frustrated. If I am fishing all by myself and someone asks if it is alright to set up 50 yards away from me I would be just fine with it. Strange, but I don't think I am alone on that.

Something that hardly ever gets mentioned on these types of threads is simply talking to the person you would like to fish near. If I am fishing all by myself and someone sets up 50 yards away from me I get frustrated. If I am fishing all by myself and someone asks if it is alright to set up 50 yards away from me I would be just fine with it. Strange, but I don't think I am alone on that.

That's interesting, I'm just the opposite. I would have no problem if someone set up 50 yards away from me, but I'd rather they just did it quickly and kept to themselves.

50 yards is a long ways away. How can you get upset about that? On a lot of lakes I fish that the whole structure.

Some Minnesota behavior traits here it seems like... I say come close to me and I will out fish anyone 5 to 1... I enjoy the competition and get a kick out of people operating in stealth mode.

Ice fishing the metro has expanded in popularity rather dramatically since I got started in the 70s. I would say the pressure has more than quadrupled with all the hub houses and new equipment to make it much more comfortable and effective. The down side is that there is a lot of crowding on the lakes, with way more pressure on the fish.

Personally I would never set up within 100 yards of anyone, even in the metro, but when someone sets up close to me, I am friendly and help them out if I can. The funny thing is, some people even when they set up right on top of you, can be a little crabby and rude, almost like they are mad that you are set up on "their" spot, even though it might be a spot nobody seemed to ever fish before.

When we lived in the Grand Marais area I experienced my type of ice fishing nirvana in both MN and Ontario, often without another soul within 5 -10 miles after a nice snowmobile ride in. Typically there was no one else within a half mile, even on our favorite lakes and spots on the weekends. Our three children were spoiled being born and learning to fish up there, and now don't like ice fishing as much in the metro because to them it is always "too crowded and noisy."