• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
igoriesky

fatheads, shiners or crappie minnows...?

igoriesky

Im coming up in a couple days, I want to target perch/tullibee but dont want to discourage any walleye. For a dead stick what is best? I know shiners are not always available, but just want a chance to get into some fish. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also plain hook or jig for dead stick? Or should I put out tip up in different depth? Hook vs jig tip up? Thanks for any info!

Stick in Mud

We use either fatheads or fairly large sucker minnows, both of which are much, much hardier than shiners. Shiners do work, but for me they usually aren't worth it.

Last weekend we did better on plain hooks than we did on jigs. Tough to know what they'll prefer the next time around, though.

chris63

I have not had much luck with suckers for walleyes on millacs in the past.Im not saying they wont catch fish just that the times ive fished with suckers I havent had good luck catching eyes.c63

Redlineracer12

I had two bites a couple weeks ago on Medium suckers. They were about 5-6" suckers that were getting hit, so they were probably nice fish but didn't land either one. Don't think my little number 4 hook was sticking out of the sucker far enough to catch something.

Last weekend I didn't have a bite on a sucker minnow but shiners were working well. I also didn't catch anything of decent size though.

herm

Rainbow on blue moon glow teardrop jig. In 20 years of Mille Lacs rattle reels, that is BY FAR the best walleye bait. The bigger, the better. Especially after dark.