• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Leaving wheelhouse on mille lacs

Skhots

I'm used to red Lake and Lake of the woods but seeing as mille lacs is so much closer and the quality is there, I'd like to leave my wheel house on the lake. Being a new wheelhouse owner, I don't know the complications that come with that. I have a few questions for those of you that leave your house out there.

1 do you pay the resort a fee? I see some resorts offering packages for certain services like plowing?

2 is there a fee to leave it on the ice near the lake access?

3 I've read of issues with drifts and freezing into the ice. Not much snow up there right now but if I just bring a snowblowers, would I be OK with drifts? I'm thinking freezing to the ice is more of an issue if there is a thaw/freeze cycle. If I get frozen in, how would I get out? Chip the ice around the frame or what other methods are there?

4 vandalism or theft a problem? Also heard horror stories of houses being stolen or squatted in. I have a removable hitch so I would think the door locks are enough.

5 do you guys just Redrill your holes when you get there? Assuming you're staying in the same spot.

That should be it for now...

The cracking scared the dump out of us last weekend. Lake of the woods cracks are just single thus but mille lacs sounded like a continuous cracking noise from afar, gradually getting closer and closer until it felt like it was under us. Thought my truck was going through!

skhots, as far as the house freezing in I still block up my wheel house just like I did my skid house. I have some 4x4 blocks that I put on all corners before putting it down. This helps with it freezing in, unless of course you get dumped on and a ton of slush forms. But I would think with as much ice as we have now that shouldn't be an issue even if it does snow.

you block it up with a 4x4? does it take up a whole 9" hole sleeve then? do you have a problem with holes freezing overnight?

Just on the corners and it's a 4x4x say 10" long? I do have the longer hole sleeves and to be honest I didn't have much if any snow for barriers so my holes did end up freezing often so most nights I ended up redrilling. If I was out there it was fine as the heater did it's thing and I had the sleeves in to prevent.

Even just a simple 2x4 would help. Just be ready if there is a huge warmup as you may get more water. Or if there is a huge snowstorm as well.

Thanks for the info. I guess no one else has an answer to the other questions. Maybe I'll try the ice fishing forum.

Appledorns used to have a deal where you could leave your wheel house parked on shore for the week. Lybacks does have a similar package. Check out his HSOforum. There is always the risk of theft and vandalism unfortunately. When i had a wheelhouse i only left it on the lake overnight if i knew i was coming back in the morning.

There are some variables to your questions. Most resorts offer wheelhouse packages. You can pull it out of a public access and leave it all season and all it will cost you is gas to get there. Now add in a 12" snowfall and 3' drifts, do you have the equipment to recover it? Bridges are another factor, live cracks here on mille lacs need to be crossed and paying a access fee will give you access to the bridge. Even though the bridge is on a public lake, it is a ethical choice to pay the resorter for the use of their bridge and road system. Come on up and check out the vast array of operators here on the lake and find one that offers up what you are looking for and enjoy the winter season here in the mille lacs area.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.