• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Return of Mille Lacs

Meilertson

Maxpower, It is the second big crash and yes they tried the multispecies protection and it failed. They probably tried that to keep resorts and non walleye fisherman happy. In the end though it is those of us that take fish from the lake that are to blame for the lake not having fish. I agree that the protect slot being the same year after year failed but how are they supposed to make everyone happy? The lake will have to crash from time to time because there is no solution to make all parties happy.

Barring any severe ecological event, the population does not ever have to crash. That's the whole freaking point of fisheries management. Maintaining a stable ecosystem is the main goal.

The DNR has set annual harvest quotas for 15 years and to my knowledge, it has never been severely exceeded. In most cases, it was severely short.

If harvest quotas were met, why is there a problem?

If you're blaming us for not being able to control ourselves, then why the harvest quota?

Sorry for multiple questions.

Your right Maxpower, the DNR is omnipotent and just make bad decisions. The lake has to crash (as it is now in the opinion of many) because resorts, anglers and Indians will demand to be able to take as many fish as possible. This will cause the crash because they will give in until they have to tighten it up as they have the last two years. Crash doesn't mean there are no fish or that the lake is dead. It means that it needs to recover. They don't have any clue what's being taken out of the lake on any given day. To say harvest quotas aren't reached is one thing. To know how many fish are in there at any time is another. What the heck do you want out of the lake anyways? All you have is a problem and no solution. A problem with no solution isn't a problem. It's a poor state of mind. I'm done with this post.

Quote:
All you have is a problem and no solution.

Likewise.

I have a solution but I admit that it doesnt do any good to talk about it. The DNR doesnt even listen to the people who know the lake best nor do they listen to the people who it affects most.

Quote:
They don't have any clue what's being taken out of the lake on any given day.

How can you possibly think that's not a problem? If they don't know, then how could they possibly make any good decisions regarding harvest?

There are resort owners who would support shutting the walleye harvest completely. This is a far better option than imposing a slot limit that protects all the big fish while taking all small fish.

I've spoken to some veteran COs that know very well that Mille Lacs is being mismanaged. Slots protecting large fish work in some bodies water. Mille Lacs is not one of them.

Did you read ALL thirty one pages.Read the last paragraph

(somewhat of a summation)they are giving these senarios as possible but not stating fact.At best we will wait and see what the next steps will be!Keep fishing!c63