• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TJS

Caution needed on south bays

TJS

I was up on Saturday with a few friends. Went out on Wahkon with the Atv's. Driving around that bay is tricky and with any snow it's going to be dangerous. There are a lot of ice blocks that have not been pushed back into the holes from "some" of the spear fisherman and some of the holes are not being marked. I have been told that Isle is the same way. Please use caution when out there. As far as fishing, small perch was all I found and there are a few areas with a nice layer of slush under the ice.

walleye29us

Yikes. Thanks for the update. Them ice blocks can be deadly!

chris63

Even augered holes after a big warmup can be super danger for walking and little ones!!!8 inchers can get wide fast to 12 or inches or more!c63

southender

cove bay also has alot of ice blocks on the ice. seeing all the houses on vineland bay, i would guess that it is also littered with ice blocks.

elusivecrappiecatcher

I don't get why people just can't push the blocks under the ice. It's alot easier than getting them out! That dump drives me nuts! It's not that hard.

Dooley87

Pulling them out and replacing them at the end of the day and marking your hole with a stick is the best way, it freezes up so fast it's crazy when you put the block back, even if it doesn't freeze up immediately at least the block is back in the hole if someone steps on it. I cut a hole out there on Sunday and the weeds were too thick so I moved off a few feet to the edge. When I left that first hole was already froze completely solid and it wasn't crazy cold, maybe 15-20 degrees. Pull your blocks out and put them back and mark with a stick, it's the only way. If you have a permanent and your hole freezes over you should still auger a hole in the spear hole to mark with a stick and hit your block with a chisel a few times to make a bunch of small pieces.

I could never push the block under knowing in leaving a huge open hole, marked or not it's not the right way to go. The problem is too many newbies to the sport that don't know any better, they actually think the block is supposed to mark the hole. Everybody needs to educate these people so if your out and see someone spearing don't be afraid to go up to them and ask that they replace their block and mark it with a stick, ask them if they have room for one more to sit and watch if it's something you've never done, might be hooked for life smile

MJ1657

Pulling them out and replacing them at the end of the day and marking your hole with a stick is the best way, it freezes up so fast it's crazy when you put the block back, even if it doesn't freeze up immediately at least the block is back in the hole if someone steps on it. I cut a hole out there on Sunday and the weeds were too thick so I moved off a few feet to the edge. When I left that first hole was already froze completely solid and it wasn't crazy cold, maybe 15-20 degrees. Pull your blocks out and put them back and mark with a stick, it's the only way. If you have a permanent and your hole freezes over you should still auger a hole in the spear hole to mark with a stick and hit your block with a chisel a few times to make a bunch of small pieces.

I could never push the block under knowing in leaving a huge open hole, marked or not it's not the right way to go. The problem is too many newbies to the sport that don't know any better, they actually think the block is supposed to mark the hole. Everybody needs to educate these people so if your out and see someone spearing don't be afraid to go up to them and ask that they replace their block and mark it with a stick, ask them if they have room for one more to sit and watch if it's something you've never done, might be hooked for life smile

+1

Ole #1

You don't need to pull the block of ice out, just fill it with snow and place branches in it. If you see branches sticking out of the ice, you should know not to step there.

Actually the Minnesota Darkhouse & Angling Association says to just push the block under the ice.

"Usually, Lundeen said, the practice of pushing the block of ice under the surface is easiest because the ice bobs after being cut free.

“It’s actually so much easier. Why lift the block on top of the ice? That thing is heavy,” he said.

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2014/12/11/keep-safety-in-mind-when-enjoying-darkhouse-spearing/

walleye29us

Yes OLE thats what i was always told also. When i was a kid i use to watch the same couple guys spear fish every year,they would invite me in to watch down the hole with them. I loved it. These two guys ALWAYS PUSHED THE ICE BLOCK UNDER THE ICE. Then marked the hole with branches or a small pine tree.

MJ1657

I pull mine out and push them back in. The hole freezes up much faster that way. I have no problem with someone pushing it in though.

Bottom line is block needs to be off the ice and the hole needs to be marked no matter what.

Dooley87

I pull mine out and push them back in. The hole freezes up much faster that way. I have no problem with someone pushing it in though.

Bottom line is block needs to be off the ice and the hole needs to be marked no matter what.

Ole #1

I agree, just as long as the block isn't left on the ice.

walleye29us

Ok cool. Guess they were in the wrong. I still thought it was neat looking into that hole.

Ryan_V

Watch out if you go spearing on the south by lybacs!! He blogged that if he sees one more unmarked spear hole, he will drive by every spear house with his plow down to scare everything away!! I understand his frustration, but he thinks he owns that section of lake. That would be considered harassment!!! That is punishing everybody, for the bad actions of few. Yes, there are a few idiots out there, but saying you're going to put the plow down and do a drive by to every spear house in your area is taking it too far, imo

Ole #1

I read that too Ryan and I agree, that's not fair to everyone else. I imagine if he decided to put the plow down to scare fish, that those fisherman would have some words for him. Probably not legal to harass fishermen like that either.

TJS

I can see how he would be frustrated with this also. If he has clients come in and someone hits one of those after they use his access he is the one that will get the blame. It's just so easy to push the block and mark those holes.

Ryan_V

Just imagine a guy and his son spearing together for the first time following all the rules and all of a sudden this guy comes with plow down and scares everything away! if it happened to me I would most definitely be videoing it and sharing it with the local game warden! and he wonders why times are tough for him when he talks like that. People see it and go on to the next resort.

MJ1657

He has every right to be frustrated. Im an avid spear fisherman and it makes me down right mad when guys leave blocks on the ice and holes unmarked.

Harraasing others who probably are being responsible is not the way to handle it. Acting like that is not only immature its illegal.

Hopefully its just a bunch of big talk.

Ryan_V

I agree 100% he has every right to be upset. Nobody would want their customers to hit an unmarked spear hole. But making the threats he has against innocent people trying too enjoy themselves is not right, and like MJ said, illegal. I hope the co sees his threat and has a word with him.

mrklean

Not only that but why would I want t potentially give him business in the future with an attitude like that?

pikechaser

+1 MrKlean. That's no better than the idiots leaving the open holes. Just what we all need, another moron

leech~~

I have not speared in years so don't know, is there anything in the Reg's now on how to handle the ice blocks? If not, this is just the kind of thing that ends up being some kind of regulated rule spelled how by the DNR in the Reg book because Sportsman can't agree and follow the same safe process. frown

When I did spear, I just pushed it under and marked the hole with a branch when done which sounds like most of you guys do.

MJ1657

There are no regs that pertain to marking spear holes or leaving blocks on the ice.

I don't want to get in a big debate but there are regs against littering on the ice. By the looks of it regs do not stop littering.

Tough to regulate those that are on the low end of the intelligence or courtesy scale.

leech~~

There are no regs that pertain to marking spear holes or leaving blocks on the ice.

I don't want to get in a big debate but there are regs against littering on the ice. By the looks of it regs do not stop littering.

Tough to regulate those that are on the low end of the intelligence or courtesy scale.

I agree, MJ. I was just saying that when things like this can't be worked out, more freedoms are lost with more rules and laws. frown

MJ1657

You are exactly right Leech. As usual it will be a handful of clowns that get useless regs put on the rest of us.

It's still no excuse for a resort owner to harass people.