• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New AT&T cell tower near Cook???

Any of you guys hear any talk about a new ATT cell tower going up near "The Landing" on Vermilion? Neighbor was saying he heard of one going up in a gravel pit type place near the bar.

So no -I have not heard of it. That would be good news for me as I have marginal service near the dam.

StillFishin'

Any of you guys hear any talk about a new ATT cell tower going up near "The Landing" on Vermilion? Neighbor was saying he heard of one going up in a gravel pit type place near the bar.

I think that pit is owned by Bill Gruska, a local construction guy. You could call him up and ask. BGC construction. Good guy, has a small building on main drag in Cook, got singed by the Dollar Store fire.

I was talking to a customer of mine that owns a resort near Cook and she told me that she just switched to AT&T because of a new tower, and couldn't be happier.

So is the "new tower" mentioned in the previous post independent of the tower in question by the original poster??/

Funny our cabin is between Phersons and the White Eagle ---and no joke it is the worst reception on the whole lake for us---the only place we cannot get at least 3 bars consistently on ATT&T to make calls---often have to go in the boat/car to make a call...

A new tower by the Landing sounds amazing.....

This is only a guess with what my neighbor told me about being near The Landing, but I wonder if it's in the back storage area around the corner from Spring Bay Resort?

So is the "new tower" mentioned in the previous post independent of the tower in question by the original poster??/

If I remember Monday, I'll make a call to this resort and see what they can tell me.

I guess I misunderstood my customer. They're referring to the tower at Frazier Bay, basically in the middle of lake Vermillion. But they tell me that one has been there for about 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the area I was thinking about by Spring Bay Resort-guess it might be closer to White Eagle. When is it going up?

A tower by Voss/White Eagle seems to make a lot of sense...

Would make reception on the far West End much better.... currently that area is the poorest reception from ATT@T on the whole lake---at least from my own personal experience....

• 1 month later...

Got a little more info on the cell tower. It is going up in the gravel pit, construction was supposed to have started last fall, but the person I talked to didn't know why it was delayed. At least we know it's going to happen, hopefully soon!

Keep us up to date---delay often means someone changed their mind though...

We sure hope not---its miserable not being able to make a call because you can't get a signal--certainly a new tower would take care of that problem....

It's refreshing to see people excited about a cell tower going up for better reception. smile

Try putting one up anywhere near Ely, and every environmental group in the world is launching a law suit and complaining about it in the papers. mad

Sheeeeeeeeesh!!!!

It's refreshing to see people excited about a cell tower going up for better reception. smile

Try putting one up anywhere near Ely, and every environmental group in the world is launching a law suit and complaining about it in the papers. mad

Sheeeeeeeeesh!!!!

A gravel pit isn't the most pristine environment. And a lake full of motorboats isn't either.

The area where the cell tower protest near Ely was not pristine, OR IN THE BWCA, but in fact about 2 miles or more outside of it.

The lakes closest to the tower are all motorized lakes.

Much ado about nothing, which is the normal trend ot the environmental groups such as the Friends of the Bounddary Waters!

They need to pick their fights more carefully.

The area where the cell tower protest near Ely was not pristine, OR IN THE BWCA, but in fact about 2 miles or more outside of it.

The lakes closest to the tower are all motorized lakes.

Much ado about nothing, which is the normal trend ot the environmental groups such as the Friends of the Bounddary Waters!

They need to pick their fights more carefully.

I supported the Ely tower, and thought the objections were absurd. BWCA is sort of disney-fied anyway, with reservations and potties and designated sites, and bizarre rules like "no wheels"

The objectors seemed to be most upset about reality intruding on their fantasy.

But it's pretty hard to have a wilderness fantasy on head-o-lakes bay.

Back to the "gravel pit" tower near Cook. A post said it was to be delayed but didn't know why.

So is there a new tower going up near Cook? Anybody know for sure or are there just rumors?

StillFishin'

Back to the "gravel pit" tower near Cook. A post said it was to be delayed but didn't know why.

So is there a new tower going up near Cook? Anybody know for sure or are there just rumors?

StillFishin'

If you really want to know, I think the gravel pit in question is owned by Bill Gruska. He will sell you gravel, dig you holes, or update you if you really need to know. Good guy.

doesn't seem to have a web page.

...construction was supposed to have started last fall, but the person I talked to didn't know why it was delayed.
Don't forget that we had a quick start to winter last fall so weather could have caused the delay.

I was told by a close friend of Bill's, that he has a signed contract. Construction was supposed to have been started last August. When I go back up, I'll try to get some more info.

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update, but heard it should go up this spring/summer. As mentioned, Bill has a contract signed. He doesn't deal direct with ATT, it's a firm contracted with them and they don't give him too much info.

What is the tower that's up on Hwy 24 near the two homes along Flint Creek, just south of Vermilion Fairways? Is that a cell tower too?

I think that is some sort of microwave relay tower. It's been there since long before cell phones. (we only got cell coverage in Cook and west end comparatively recently when Cellular 1 put up a tower) Used to lose coverage outside Virginia, right about the junction with 169 going north and 53.

Cellular 1 was acquired by ATT.

• 7 years later...

New cabin owner on the West End and I am supremely interested in this tower.  

When I was last up there, the cell equipment had been installed on the top of the tower, but it was obviously not yet “turned on” as I got ZERO bars from 100 feet away!

Any update on the progress of this cell tower?  I am going to assume that my cell reception would improve drastically if and when this tower comes online. 

Any new info for me?

While I was up the other weekend someone told me its up and running. And from what I could tell I had the best signal I've ever had there. Pretty sure I even had 5G! I'm on the south shore of Head-o-Lakes.