• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Interstate

Kdog10

Where I hunt in Central MN the property directly borders the interstate (frontage road actually, but you get the idea). I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on how much that interstate boundary comes into play with deer movements. The reason I ask is because directly across the interstate to the north is a hunting party that practices deer management similar to what we have implemented. This year they shot a beautiful buck that Im pretty certain we have on camera. I know deer do cross the interstate there as there are occasionally collisions. The deer are obviously used to the traffic and noise and such.

full-39418-51801-huntland.jpg

The west side of this property is a tamarack swamp. You can see where my normal stand is in the swamp. In addition to probably having the buck shot by the neighbor across the interstate on camera I also shot a nice mature 8pt along the North line this year.

full-39418-51802-img_20141109_165730_526

I guess my question is how much of an affect does the interstate have on deer movements across it?

I'd guess some effect, but between midnight-5AM when it's much quieter and or the rut and or food sources. Once they get in where it's quiet, they feel safe, they have routes to their food source, very little to any crossing then. There's also certain places along like 4 lanes where it's much more common. Just west if not in town in Wadena same on the east side to the 4 lane split. Just west of Motley is high risk. Just north a mile or south a couple miles from Staples sports is risky. A mile north of Randall, etc. There's certain places where it happens or at least in my 20+ years of driving that HWY more than I'd like to, that's where I've seen them the most and or hit the most, the rut could happen anywhere, it can change according to available corn nowadays where corn once rarely existed and or people putting in habitat that is now deer ready, that may have been barren 10 years ago. I don't think this helps to answer your ? lol.