• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kits for mounting antlers

maxx rpm

Have two sets of antlers, and want to get one of those kits to put them on a board and have the velvet on there. Do you cut the antlers off, or drill through the skull part and screw into the plaque? Are there different methods, and which is better. Better brands? Just looking for any tips pointers. I have never really looked at one up close so is new to me. Thanks for the help!

Either go Donbo's route or get a piece of a hardwood lumber and cut it into a lengthwise diamond shape or whatever you like, sand the edges a bit if you don't have a router and stain it. Screw the skull to the board and cover with some velvet type material you can get at any craft store, cut it close and glue it on. I use my wifes hot melt glue gun but anything will do.

The store bought ones look...well like you bought it at a store or at least that's my opinion. They make the rack look like you bought the rack with it. Heck, if you need the piece of lumber I will give it to you for free from our lumber yard. PM me if you want, it's located in St Paul

ive done a couple of the store bought ones and they turned out ok but i do agree that doin it urself with your choice of wood will look better.

last yr i did one using the Iron Buck mount and it looked pretty good. i was very impressed with it.

attaching the skull/antlers to watever base you choose can be done with screw, clamps, hot glue...

biggest tip i can suggest is having some sort of file, grinder, sander, dremel,,, to help fine-tune/shape it to fit snug/properly.