• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thermostat in wheel house

Lines tight

I was wondering if any one has used a digital thermostat in their wheel house? I thought that I had read an article of someone putting one in that would start the furnace under the 40 deg. start up temp. I looked back and couldn't find anything.

Yeah, there is only a few that do it under 40.

I'll take a look at mine and tell you the model. I think it might be a Hunter?

I think a lot of the digital thermostats out there will do that. need to read the back of the package to see what options it has.

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago I only found 2 at the store with the M in it. I did find a Honeywell. It was only $19.99 I think the model is RTH111B1016 Just a basic thermostat not programmable. goes down to 40. I had trouble seeing the temp on the mechanical thermostat that came with it. the only thing I noticed was when I left the thermostat in the house and it was really cold it kept flashing "LO" and the furnace would not come on. changed batteries and same thing. I took thermostat in my house and let it warm up and it was fine. Now I just take it with me so it is not in the house in the cold for an extended period of time. Used it for deer season and it worked fine. It just snaps on and off the wall so it is not a big deal.

mine did not say on the package how low it would go. I had the employee open the package and look at the instructions. They all looked at me funny when I asked for a thermostat that would go down to 40....

I use the Hunter Model Number 42123. Digital non programmable. Works perfect in my shop and one in the ice house. It comes set to let a 2° temp swing but you can reset to 1 or 3 if you need. Only $10 at save big money.

Yeah, there is only a few that do it under 40.

I'll take a look at mine and tell you the model. I think it might be a Hunter?

Hunter digital model# 44155C

It fires the furnace up even if it's -30 inside the shack.

I carry spare batteries for it, and my analog thermostat in case there is a failure.

You can always jump the two wires together too, to manually run the furnace in a real pinch.

I had to do that with my first digital Honeywell because it would not kick on until it was 40 degrees in the shack......

You can always jump the two wires together too, to manually run the furnace in a real pinch.

That's what I do. I have a jumper wire made up that I wrap around the thermostat when not in use. When I'm drilling holes, I take the cover off the thermostat and jump the wires to get it to warm up in there. By the time I'm all done cleaning holes and ready to fish, it is warm enough inside the house to put the cover back on.

I usually leave the heat on low when it leaves the shed in the house, but there have been times when the stat has came loose from the wall (set screw issue) and then I just put it in the truck to warm up. Usually by the time I get it from the truck and fire up the heater it's caught up enough to stay on. That or set up the backup heater under the t-stat to keep it warm enough until it catches up.

I think I am going to look into getting the hunter t-stat.

I leave the little set screw out of my thermostat so I can take it off the wall and heat it up over the range. Typically I crank up the range for 15 mins or so to help get the house up to temp faster.

how far do must of you pull your house while leaving the heater on? Do most of you turn it on once you get to lake or turn it one when you leave for your trip? I figure towing a long distance in the cold weather the heater couldnt keep up?

Honeywell rth110B. Temp only adjusts down to 41 but kicks on the heater at any temp. We have one on the furnace and the fireplace. Never a problem other than batteries. Like the digital readout for exact ajustment of temp up or down by a certain number of degrees.

Lip_ripper - I use the range as well if needed.

The only time I shut my heater off is when it is parked in my heated shed. I usually have it on a low setting for travel.

how far do must of you pull your house while leaving the heater on? Do most of you turn it on once you get to lake or turn it one when you leave for your trip? I figure towing a long distance in the cold weather the heater couldnt keep up?

I always top off my truck at the nearest gas station before hitting the ice, which is when I also fire up the furnace.

I see no need to heat the shack for five or more hours down the road..... A +60 mph wind is going to have that baby sucking a lot of propane and a lot of battery for no good reason.

Just keep the stuff you don't want to freeze in a cooler or in the cab during the drive.

Wrapping cases of beer and such with a sleeping bag or blanket works well too unless it is EXTREMELY cold out wink

I have only driven down the road with the heat on in my fishhouse once and that was by accident. I was surprised it worked at high speeds. I normally fire it up right before I go in to pay for the road access. When I stay at a motel I like to leave the heat set low so that I can leave my coolers out in the fish house overnight without worrying about stuff freezing.

I guess you can consider me old fashioned but I like my old school mercury t-stat without any batteries or gadgets. I have a digital thermometer that shows the actual temp inside and outside the house, and adjust the t-stat accordingly.

A lot of times I'll turn the heat on when I stop to get bait and top off the truck. Maybe 30-45 mins before hitting the lake. It's nice to get right into a warm house. I wouldn't drive across the state with it on, though.

Got a Honeywell RTH221B today and stuck the battery in and set it outside and it read LO. Looks like I have to return that one. Firecat, when did you buy that one and what name brand or store? Hunter stopped making the model mentioned above.

Got a Honeywell RTH221B today and stuck the battery in and set it outside and it read LO. Looks like I have to return that one. Firecat, when did you buy that one and what name brand or store? Hunter stopped making the model mentioned above.

Here's a link to the one Firecat has pictured. It's made by Pro1 & is the T771 single stage (1 heat or 1 cool only)...I think they run about $50

Pro1 thermostats

OutlawBiz is correct its a Pro1 T771. It will read Lo when its real cold out, but kicks right on when you hit the on switch. I got mine from a friend, but if you do a search you will find one

full-16408-51560-img_0171.jpg

This works for me, Kicks on the furnace no matter how cold it is.

I got the same one, and it works awesome. I went out to my house the other day at it said 23 degrees, fired right up

Do the aforementioned thermostats work in the really cold weather? example -5F like we have had the last couple days. I have a new wheel house with a Honeywell RTH221B (digital) and once it gets below 40 it says LO, and don't light the furnace unless you jump it. I want to get one that works in the really cold conditions so I don't have to mess around with it. Digital is a plus, but if it needs to be analog I'm fine with that too.