• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My Wolf Encounter Video

Neiko

I took Fri off and headed up to Nemadji for the last weekend of deer hunting. I had a long walk out as I had to get through some clearings. I had just come to a clearing and stopped by a down pine tree in the trail. I looked across the clearing down the trail and saw something at the edge of the weeds that looked odd. It was a wolf looking my way. I stood still and 2 other proceeded to follow him and when they hit a low spot I pulled out my phone. It was very interesting watching them.The front one got with in 45 yards but was never afraid. The wind was blowing pretty good and they were down wind. I watched their behavior and when the first one stopped and looked at the other ones to go around and flank I thought wow this what they do when they hunt. Just then I realized I had clipped on my Tink's 69 scent wafer to my jacket and it was probably me they were smelling. Luckily the wind changed at that moment and they went down wind in the new direction. They never saw me wearing blaze orange from head to toe. They probably thought the bush was on fire.LOL I can't wait to go back next week for the wolf opener. They were small but a wolf is a wolf and I am not going to get picky.

http://youtu.be/Ueh6HvgoKGs

That was a cool video thanks for posting. I think my pants would have been full had I seen them coming my way

It seems wolves have come to see man as a curiousity instead of a mortal enemy. I had one follow me a few years ago while I was walking on a snowmobile trail. I also got a little worried as it was a good sized one. It was a safe distance away but still too close for comfort

It seems wolves have come to see man as a curiousity instead of a mortal enemy. I had one follow me a few years ago while I was walking on a snowmobile trail. I also got a little worried as it was a good sized one. It was a safe distance away but still too close for comfort

While bear hunting 4 years ago I had one come in to the bait he noticed me I thought he took off but he was really circling around to get down wind of me before he finally took off

Thanks guys. I thought you might like it. I have come across quite a few packs and even owned a Wolf Hybrid for awhile. They are more curious and are merely trying to get a scent from you more then wanting to attack. The only time my wolf got wild with me is when I tried to take away a deer carcass I gave him. That was the last time I did that. I am hoping it is this easy next weekend when I go back for the 2nd season.

Wish we could send our Ottertail County wolf population back to Nemadji smile As the moose and deer numbers tumbled here came the timberwolf, we already have a maximum number of guns in the county now add in these year round hunters into our wintering herds, oh man lol. Wonder how many rookie deer go oh, just another coyote but then go oh oh, these aint coyotes and it's I'm lunch ! Cool video, buddy in koochiching county had a 10 pack of wolves run by his stand opening day, hard to believe in his 16days up there he saw 0 deer. He saw more bears than deer also lol which was only 1 bear. He had bobcats,wolves,bears and that was about it on his camera, said bet ur fired upfor next year ! smile

We had a pack of 11 cross the ice on us ice fishing up by Crane Lake. Supposedly there is a pack of 30 upthere but I find that hard to believe. We were going to hunt up there for wolves but decided to stick to our deer hunting spot for opener. I talked to the CO today and he said there was plenty of wolves in Nemadji. Hopefully we can take 2 out next weekend.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

We had a pack of 11 cross the ice on us ice fishing up by Crane Lake. Supposedly there is a pack of 30 upthere but I find that hard to believe. We were going to hunt up there for wolves but decided to stick to our deer hunting spot for opener. I talked to the CO today and he said there was plenty of wolves in Nemadji. Hopefully we can take 2 out next weekend.

Nice video and yes, hope you have a wonderful hunt next weekend! smile