• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old?

LHarris

LeninTrulliVillagesItaly1983_zps0257369b

I was 6'3.5" and 183 pounds

Battalion champion 6 years running for 2 mile run with 10 minute 30 second average

Benched 320 lbs at my best.

Couldn't fish because of German Fishing Laws and expenses.

I wasn't always fat and ugly.

So what is throwback Thursday?

However, I get what the OP is saying. I'm 54 y/o, 200 lbs, 6'1" and I work out and am fairly lean.

But it is alot tougher in your 50's to stay in shape than your 20's. I was in my early 40's when it became clear that I could no longer eat like a 20 something y/o no matter how hard I worked out.

Which one in that pic is the OP? I'm assuming it's the guy on the left.

Santa?

smile

All I know is that there is way too much grey in this movember thingy on my face, and I cannot wait until next week so I can shave it and ten years off. wink

100_zps4e92535b.jpg

So now if I'm ever fishing in Wi. I'll know who you are

Could the knee operation and back fusion be related to running? I gave up running/jogging a few years back and have noticed less pain in the knee and hip joints. I walk now

Back in the 80s the military did full touch your elbows to knees sit-ups.

They have changed to crunches now because of back problems.

PT was in utility uniform with combat boots. Not the best for running in.

My profession after getting out of the military didn't help things either.

Santa?

smile

All I know is that there is way too much grey in this movember thingy on my face, and I cannot wait until next week so I can shave it and ten years off. wink

82c186d1-2e56-4e1a-ac16-a35a9883c711_zps

beard does make me look older

It was June 1983. I had just extended in Germany. Because of my specialty "MOS" I was given a bonus of an extra 30 days leave. I promptly took all 30 days.

My german longtime girlfriend and I pointed our Citron Ente towards Italy.

ente_zps34834ae3.jpg

The plan was to sleep every other day in the vehicle and stay in cheap pensions other days.

We hit the west coast of Italy and stopped at every tourist destination and noteworthy ruins. Rome/Pisa/Naples/Pompeii were a couple more well known stops.

We drove across the instep of Italy and visited Lasassi on our way to Brindisi . I went to the military post there to stock up on cheap Budweiser.

We headed up the eastern coast. We had Bari as a destination. We got side tracked in the Trulli area of Italy.

LeninTrulliVillagesItaly1983Roof_zpse78c

Alberobello, Italy

LeninTrulliVillagesItaly1983three_zpsb2f

The area was known for its field rock spires whitewashed inside and out.

The folks were friendly and we got side tracked touring the town and got a late start going back on the road. We picked a side road to park the car to sleep in it that evening.

Michele got really excited because she saw something that was photo worthy. She put on her fanciest lens and was trying to zoom in photo she wanted. All I could she was lots of activity. She told me that baby pigs and puppies were eating out of the same big bowl and she wanted a photo.

Then we saw 6-7 people walking down the dirt driveway at us. I got kinda nervous. Michele knew a little Italian and talked to the entire family that came down to see who was on the road near their house.

After a few broken Italian sentences the teenage daughter asked me if I was an American. She spoke English and was I astounded at how well she spoke. The next thing you knew we were invited up to the house to have a bite to eat and sample some wine from the Family's vineyard.

They were a very poor family. There was no glass in their windows. They were covered with burlap bags. The front door was a tarp. Pigs and chickens and dogs walked in and out of the house at their leisure. We talked to almost dark. None of the family members had ever meet a real American they told me. We shared one large bottle of wine. I noticed that only the three adult males were the only ones drinking.

The group photo was taken now.

The teenage daughter explained to me that her Dad was very old school and he didn't allow women to drink. I remember I had just stocked up with Budweiser and I offered Dad some Budweiser to drink. The daughter translated. I walked to the Ente and got a case of Bud.

The daughter read the ingredients to her father and the son in law. They both cracked open a Bud.

The dad called the beer Water Beer. This is how the daughter translated it. The men had already drank a huge bottle of wine and were slamming Bud and laughing and asking if there was any alcohol in the beer. I offered the mother a beer and dad spoke up and said he preferred if only the men drank.

30 minutes later and 10 budweiser each the son in law and dad excused themselves. They both staggered away to sleep. There were 4 buds left and the women sipped the beer after their drunken father and husband left. They giggled with glee and made fun of their men for slamming 10 buds each in 30 minutes.

We were offered a hay pile indoors at their house to spend the evening. We passed on the invite. We made up an excuse we had to get on the road. We drove 20 minutes closer to Bari and parked slept in the vehicle.

I don't think any of us are as lean and purty as we were when we when we were in our 20s. At least those of on the other side of 50.

LHarris:

Relax, you're still in the early stage.

Stage 1:

You drag out the photo, and it brings back fond memories of the good old days.

Stage 2:

You drag out the photo, and the guy on the left looks vaguely familiar. You have no idea who the people on the right are.

Stage 3:

You drag out the photo, and you have no idea who any of the people in the photo are, and have no clue how you even got the photo in the first place.

I know 75 year old people that look and act late 50's and know guys in their early 60's who act like their 80. That said I'm 47 and ten years ago I could hump Mountains and even though it was tough I was in good enough shape to do it but more importantly mentally wanted to do it. Ten years later my desire limits me to walking and hunting in pretty tough swamps in Minnesota and I that's about all I want to do. I could do more but enjoy other parts of hunting not burning 4000 calories a day.

I was just tested and fitted for a pair of reading glasses yesterday.

I managed to stave off this until 48 years of age.

Not bad. I can still count the feathers on a duck at 2 miles away. I just struggle to make out the fine print right in front of my face.

crazy

I was just tested and fitted for a pair of reading glasses yesterday.

I managed to stave off this until 48 years of age.

Not bad. I can still count the feathers on a duck at 2 miles away. I just struggle to make out the fine print right in front of my face.

crazy

Hang on, it gets worse.

True that, Jameson.

Another wise old sage (my Dad) shared this one with me. "There's nothing golden, about the Golden Years!"

• 1 month later...

I'm going to turn 63 in a couple of months. There are a few more aches and pain, and I have to reach for the glasses whenever I want to read something. I still have an active family life, camp, fish, hike, travel, repair the house, hang out, read, learn and do just about everything I did when I was 37. I have more time and money to do it.

I think the best way to arrive at 60 in good shape is to take care of yourself when you are 30 - 40 - 50. Knock of the cigs, overuse of alcohol, watch the waistline, and get out and get some daily exercise. Some of my friends kept up the bad habits and they have heart problems, COPD, lots of body pain, and other health conditions which severely limit their enjoyment of life. So take care of yourself now and odds are you'll age slowly and live a long healthy life.

I wish I would have taken care of my body when I was in my early 20's!! now 36 and have had bad back and shoulder pains for the past 10+ years and dred what is to come when I turn 50,60 and 70!!