• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horrible people

monstermoose78

Glad to see you guys are keeping the photos to a minimum but I kind of wish you'd quit talking about this quite so much. Last thing we need is for word of our good mousing to get out and next thing you know a bunch of outfitters will move in and lease up all the good ground. Some of us who have been catching mice in certain areas for years will no longer have a place to go.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechlake

• monstermoose78

• pushbutton

• DonBo

Even more concerning to me is the DNR is going to catch on to this untapped sport.

Next thing we know we will be required to take an on line moussing course and display a sticker.

Once they start managing the "herd" it might only take a few years for them to decimate it. Then we will be off to Iowa or Kansas to fulfill our dreams.

Lets be careful here and not ruin a good thing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

My main concern is the effects of climate change or brain worm effecting the NE & NW herds more then in years past. Of course another bad winter like last year or if a pack of Cats move in will not help them fair well as well. frown

Checked the buckets up at the cabin today, SCORE! Only one skinhead but, better than nuttin'. Had to bust him outta the ice though. frown

Checked the bucket this am and SCORE!!! Zero mice in there. That makes three sits in a row with nothing after bagging 5 in 3 nights. Things are progressing just like I want. I am going to move the bucket to the room across the hallway just to see if I've conditioned the remaining mice (I'm actually being serious about that)

Dave, it's funny how sportsman like us can experience both ends of the spectrum, killing wise, but both be happy. It's a true testament to all of us. I appreciate reading everyones posts and good luck whatever that may mean to you.

My main concern is the effects of climate change or brain worm effecting the NE & NW herds more then in years past. Of course another bad winter like last year or if a pack of Cats move in will not help them fair well as well. frown

Don't worry this is being addressed by Lynn Rogers and his new International Mouse Center. His quick to action top notch scientific team will get to the root of this issue quiclky. Remember to like Timmy on Facebook, buy coffee mugs, and stick mouse bumper stickers.......oh, and while well within your legal rights, please don't shoot, trap or use the 5 gallon can of death on poor little Timmy, or any other radio collard mice.

full-27018-51634-mouse3.jpg

full-27018-51635-mousecollar1.jpg

full-27018-51636-radiocollarmice.jpg

Checked my trap this am and it wasn't snapped but the peanut butter bait was gone mad

Gonna have to buy more traps. This barely one a day mouse isn't going to provide enough sustenance for the winter ahead

In photo one it looks like Little Timmy (cute mouse I have to admit) did what mice do best. Deficate on the white operating table blanket.

Gordon Guillen long ago attempted to piggy back his Grouse studies with the study of field mice. It was interesting because although he never pinpointed the reason for the ten year grouse cycle he did figure out the mice cycle. Due to the fact that mice mate constantly and Grouse only in the Spring the mouse cycle generally has less peaks and valleys.

He found that they are nearly as adaptable as Great White Sharks and Crocodiles who have been around for Billions of years.

If Timmy bites the dust in my bucket so be it. He should never have been in my house in the first place. As maybe you recall this post all started with bad cat owners and stray cats. Same goes for Timmy. If his name was Hank or Russ I don't think the attachment to him would be so great. It's all marketing.

Checked my trap this am and it wasn't snapped but the peanut butter bait was gone mad

Gonna have to buy more traps. This barely one a day mouse isn't going to provide enough sustenance for the winter ahead

Cmon! Rig up a bucket. I'm sure last night after TDay dinner you had plenty of time. Maybe you don't work today? Find the time. At the very least try Eyeguys method of half pail of water, seeds thrown on top and the ramp so the mouse just dives right in. It takes way less time but is the equivalent of using worms to trout fish vs dry flies only and personally that's fine with me and your choice.

I really don't think you should question another hunters methods.

Just like with whitetail where some prefer archery over guns.

Here some prefer the beautiful sound of the "snap" vs the "splash".

There is room for everyone in this sport.

Thats the kind of attitude that will brig down this sport. Insensitive comments will just encourage the likes of Peta, and before long you will see them start to lobby the government and eventually grind away at our 2nd amendment rights. Whats wrong with just taking a pass on a few collard mice ? I am one that is perfectly fine having mouse p o o all over my counter and in my cupboards spreading disease. In the name of science....and for that matter..... mousemanity...... Save Timmy!!!, Save Timmy!!!

Dr. Jill....could use a little help here!?!?

Hugonian's bragging about winning the 2012 and 2013 Turkey Contest gave me an idea. Yes I've declared myself the 2014 Mouse Champion, check out my signature. My photo in the snow with the two mice and my Yamaha sled was voted on, by me, and declared the winner.

I will admit there isn't a sweeter sound in the world than laying down to bed and hearing the crisp "SNAP". I know that you shouldn't but I always head downstairs to see the quivering corpse after a clean neck trapping. Very Dahmer like but that's how I roll with mice.

Yous guys know what would be super sweet?? A mouse hunting get together.

We could all hook up in a basement, or an outbuilding. An outbuilding that has a couple boats in storage would be the shiz.

Meet and greet, swap some tactics, check out the latest gear, then go get em.

Maybe even get some hoodies made up.

I have a pair of dogs that love to hunt mice and any other rodents. A Miniature American Eskimo and a Samoyed. Not got any rodents around, no mice, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and most bird stay away too. Our neighbor that has a cat has more of that stuff in her yard that we do in ours.

Hoodies? Did someone say hoodies?

leech, you think that lame @ss posed photo of you'rs is better than this live action "passup" shot?

full-20096-51477-mouse.jpg

Or how about this trail cam photo from monstermoose's porch:

full-20096-51638-th.jpg

Give me a break. Plenty of self proclaimed experts on here. Must be nice to always think you're the best of the best.

1. Hoodies, yes

2. Get together, love the idea. Maybe an outstate and a suburban one. Learn from each others tactics?

3. Donbo. The poem was the problem. Another problem is that I pulled "Executive Order" and since I proclaimed myself the Executive I won. If you can't beat em join em. Also, Yamaha the sponsor like my product placement, heck I have an Arctic Cat but I know how to play the game. There's always next year.

MMoose never posted that, at least he didn't holding up a recent newspaper proving it's from this year. Gotta read the regs.

Typical Sillytown.

Starting to get a little testy.

Before you know it the one & only is going to pipe in and call someone a hypocrit & fraud or post a face palm.

It is only a matter of time.

MMoose never posted that,

Nope, I posted it because it was my trail cam. Okay, I may have been infringing on his hotspot, but hey, it wasn't legally posted. His new signs were not signed and dated. What's a guy to do?

Yesterday when I got home from work I did a little recon. I think they're starting to herd up in my garage, under the beer fridge to be exact.

All my kids and grandkids will be at the house this weekend. I'm thinking aboot taking my grandaughter out for her first time. She'll be 3 next month. My thoughts were to show her how to load a .050 coniber with Skippy Chunky and set a few under the beer fridge and wait for the snap.

What do yous fellas think, 3 years old too young or is it time to show her the ropes?

I should add, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of em under the fridge. I'm all about party hunting and cross tagging. As long as the youngster can get hers, I really don't care who gets the rest of them as I don't want them causing crop damage in the area of my beer fridge. All are invited. It's private land so you don't have to worry about body grip traps on public land.

get her out there! Almost 3? You should have had her out there year(s) ago. It's you Helicopter Grandparents that keep the sport from where it should be.

When my son was 2 I took him and his great grandmother out who was 98. We (I) bagged 24 that night and were going to call it a day (night) and great grandma threw a stink. She wanted 8 more, she said Great Grandpa passed away after he bought his license so we may as well use it the tags. We nailed another 8 and then when the sun came up we Road Hunted a couple more that we hid in my sons diaper bag in case a CO came around (great grandmas idea, brilliant).

The bonus was she never mailed in Great Grandpas death certificate to Social Security so a month later at Christmas we all got a little extra in our stockings from her. God I miss her!!! On her death bed she told me Gt Grandpa had the lifetime license and she never notified the DNR. Every year I have a toast to him and her for all the lessons they taught me over the years.

Hugonian's bragging about winning the 2012 and 2013 Turkey Contest gave me an idea. Yes I've declared myself the 2014 Mouse Champion, check out my signature. My photo in the snow with the two mice and my Yamaha sled was voted on, by me, and declared the winner.

If you really thought that pic was a winner it would be your profile picture.

Calling in a love sick turkey is truely an art which I am sure Donbo can attest to.

Like it or not, mousseing usually involves baiting which many might think unethical.

Next thing we know there will be mouse drives with posters taking shots at running mice. An injured mouse will run to where a neighboring hunter finishes it off and now the argument starts. Who's mouse is it?

This could get messy.

Calling in a love sick turkey is truely an art which I am sure Donbo can attest to.

Right now I'm just baiting and trapping but if I decide to take the plunge and start mouse hunting, are there any calls I could use to increase my odds on bagging that trophy?

I don't need this grief and don't need to brag about my hunting. That 374-2/8" muzzy elk is one of my weak kills in my life in my avatar. Heck even shot it at 8am on opening day and on public land. I've missed turkeys at 25 yards that were way bigger than yours (unfortunately true, hunting low light, still hurts and my cousin was calling for me).

I may just switch my avatar, but on my terms.

full-2204-51645-img_1747.jpg

yep, I'm a walleye slaying savant too!!!

Right now I'm just baiting and trapping but if I decide to take the plunge and start mouse hunting, are there any calls I could use to increase my odds on bagging that trophy?

I have found Patrick Star squeak toys to be the best. Nice thing is they come in different sizes/squeak pitches. The big one has brought in all my trophies. A little bulky in the field, but something you will never find me without.

full-27018-51646-screenshot2014_11_28at1

That's silly to use a toy for hunting purposes. You should buy the right gear for the specific purpose of mouse hunting. Luckily for you I have developed a mouse call that is the best of all Mouse Calls. You can find them in Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops all across the country or send me $249.99 and I'll ship one directly to you. (That's the black Friday price, regular retail price is $299.99.) Act now, supplies are limited.

[

No need to resort to calling when baiting is more than effective. I suggest cutting an arched top opening in the baseboard and getting some tennis balls and one of those big rubber bands. I think ACME sells them. Personally I would stay away from mouse traps as they can backfire.

Here is an informational video that I threw together.