• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horrible people

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Using a cat for mice is like using hounds for deer it aint fair!! I am working on getting a photo of my pointer but he is taking a nap. He had a rough week last week.

On a side note the cat issue was cleared up because of the nice officer.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechlake

• monstermoose78

• pushbutton

• DonBo

My cat is very fat.

And his name is Matt.

This fat cat, who's name Matt also has a yellow hat.

Matt the fat cat likes to mouse around the house.

In fact, this yellow hat wearing fat cat Matt, likes to mouse around around the house wearing a purple blouse.

This story is almost done, it time to go, but before I go, there is something you must know.

If you have a pointing chihuahua named comit, please don't put a sweater on it.

It makes them sad, it could even make them very very very mad.

So sad and mad that you will have to change it's name to Brad.

first poem ever posted on FM, congrats. I was hunting in No Dak this Fall and one of the older guys brought his wife with. Nice enough gal but one afternoon as we were heading out and she was riding with me and she brought a book. I struck up a conversation with her about what she was reading. She said with a straight face, "Poetry." I kind of chuckled and asked her if she was kidding and she said no.

I bet her poetry book didn't rhyme though. I don't understand non rhyming poetry. Good work! I nominate you for moderator if ever a "Poetry" section is put up.

Looking back, am going to concur with Jameson. Start out having a vision of a new type of cat and that hat off shoot to where we might be able to bring more awareness to mouse hunting to the youth of america. After awhile though the vision started fading....was always taught to finish what I have started and hit submit anyway.

first poem ever posted on FM, congrats. I was hunting in No Dak this Fall and one of the older guys brought his wife with. Nice enough gal but one afternoon as we were heading out and she was riding with me and she brought a book. I struck up a conversation with her about what she was reading. She said with a straight face, "Poetry." I kind of chuckled and asked her if she was kidding and she said no.

I bet her poetry book didn't rhyme though. I don't understand non rhyming poetry. Good work! I nominate you for moderator if ever a "Poetry" section is put up.

I am working on getting a photo of my pointer but he is taking a nap. He had a rough week last week.

Dude, don't overwork your pointer! You'll be out a lot of training costs when health issues arise. Give him a rest in your game pouch sooner.

Del

You are swaying my original thoughts. Pretty interesting. I read it numerous times and liked it more each time.

I have always liked that one, for some strange reason. Anyway, happy to bring a little culture to FM.

That "poem" would confuse anybody. Go ahead: analyze it for us would you please? Explain it. Ask a dozen members to tell what they think it means. You will get a dozen varying takes on it. Nothing personal against Yeats (assuming he actually wrote that) but some of these poetic types seem to have a cramp in their reel hand. A knot in their line. A rock in their shoe. A bad hangover.

I'm no poetry guy but I believe the interpretation or multiple interpretations is what poet people like. I'd assume poetry groups get together and could talk about that poem for a month. Not my bag but I get the concept.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well I set up for the great mouse hunt of 2014 and I have did not see even a turd away where in my garage. I am blaming it on all the cats that were around over the weekend. I think I will have to make a big move to the in-laws to be able to fill my tags.

you see, your original problem may have been a blessing in some way. I guess though mice don't scratch up your front door though. Probably you and your party shot everything in site the past few years and now you're blaming the cats. Us hunters never take responsibility for our actions.

you see, your original problem may have been a blessing in some way.

I was thinking that throughout this thread. In my neighborhood there is a feed store that keeps a bunch of cats around for the purpose of controlling the mouse population. I've lived in my house for 21 years and have never had a mouse in it. I credit all the neighborhood cats roaming the area and am happy to have them since they have never bothered me in any way.

I'm no poetry guy but I believe the interpretation or multiple interpretations is what poet people like. I'd assume poetry groups get together and could talk about that poem for a month. Not my bag but I get the concept.

One of the first things my poetry professor covered in college was that there really should only be one 'true' interpretation to a poem, if the poet is a good one anyway.

Poetry is pretty neat when you get into it actually...Think about a poem if it were a painting.

water-lilies-40.jpg

This is a painting of water lilies. Nobody should see anything other than water lilies... eg: cats in a bag labeled "dog treats"

How a poem speaks to you/what the poem signifies to the reader is different than what the poem means, a subtle yet important distinction.

Now, as to what yeat's is getting at with The Second Coming:

The first stanza is describing the "present state" of the world. Setting the stage for the second stanza. - the poem was written in the early 20's, a time when technological advances were really starting to take off, and the traditional structure of the world geography was changing quite drastically (thanks wwI). The falcon losing the falconer is interesting, implies a sort of wandering from the current values of society (falcon circling further and further from the falconer trying to reach contact). The Gyre is something that pops up an awful lot in his work too, kind of a theme of a cyclical history.

Second stanza refers to a second coming - biblical stuff (well, the whole poem calls up imagery from the bible but that's just how he rolls). However he's not referring to Jesus, rather another "messiah." The figure he's describing there sounds an awful lot like the sphinx, doncha think? Kinda tells me he's getting away from the central values that were present up to that point and fears what is coming - even if it's taking its time getting here.

Interesting way to illustrate the differences between the past and future, and what the future holds. The last line kind of tells me he’s not exactly excited about it…

Really striking imagery though, the poems deeper meaning is a bit more vague than what’s on the surface –unless you’re familiar with his other work/history, but the language used is quite evocative.

Interesting poem, always liked that one as well.

sorry for the sidetrack there, now where were we... oh yeah. I saw my neighbor bag his limit of mice in the morning. He put them in the freezer or something and went right back out that afternoon and bagged another limit.

Should i call TIP on him? Or maybe set up some game cams to see if I can do some sleuthing myself?

go with the cam. A few years ago we had a doe and a buck with lights on it in our front yard around Christmas. Every morning I'd wake up to see them in the breeding position. I set up a trail cam sting and captured my buddy and neighbor in the act. Case closed. We worked it out ourselves without the authorities. I think he bought me a few drinks as restitution.

Poetry is pretty neat when you get into it actually...Think about a poem if it were a painting.

water-lilies-40.jpg

This is a painting of water lilies. Nobody should see anything other than water lilies... eg: cats in a bag labeled "dog treats"

How a poem speaks to you/what the poem signifies to the reader is different than what the poem means, a subtle yet important distinction.

The first stanza is describing the "present state" of the world. Setting the stage for the second stanza. - the poem was written in the early 20's, a time when technological advances were really starting to take off, and the traditional structure of the world geography was changing quite drastically (thanks wwI). The falcon losing the falconer is interesting, implies a sort of wandering from the current values of society (falcon circling further and further from the falconer trying to reach contact). The Gyre is something that pops up an awful lot in his work too, kind of a theme of a cyclical history.

Second stanza refers to a second coming - biblical stuff (well, the whole poem calls up imagery from the bible but that's just how he rolls). However he's not referring to Jesus, rather another "messiah." The figure he's describing there sounds an awful lot like the sphinx, doncha think? Kinda tells me he's getting away from the central values that were present up to that point and fears what is coming - even if it's taking its time getting here.

Interesting way to illustrate the differences between the past and future, and what the future holds. The last line kind of tells me he’s not exactly excited about it…

Really striking imagery though, the poems deeper meaning is a bit more vague than what’s on the surface –unless you’re familiar with his other work/history, but the language used is quite evocative.

full-20096-51536-yawn.jpg

One of the first things my poetry professor covered in college was that there really should only be one 'true' interpretation to a poem, if the poet is a good one anyway.

Interesting poem, always liked that one as well.

sorry for the sidetrack there, now where were we... oh yeah. I saw my neighbor bag his limit of mice in the morning. He put them in the freezer or something and went right back out that afternoon and bagged another limit.

Should i call TIP on him? Or maybe set up some game cams to see if I can do some sleuthing myself?

Also recall that the poem was written shortly after the end of WW1, which had been devastating to British society with 700,000 killed and many wounded. It was brutal and sort of pointless.

full-20096-51536-yawn.jpg

Big-Meanie-P-reddxx1-26356847-225-225.jp

Del tries to add a little culture to sillytown, I go and help interpret it, and you go ahead and do that?

AND TO BOOT you didn't even answer my questions about calling TIP or not.

You sir, are a big, fat, meanie.

sticks_and_stones.png

frown

Donbo-funny but heck nothing like a little poetry to make life interesting:

My Road Not Taken, by me:

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the wrong one

I hunted and hunted but deer numbered none

I found beer cans and shell casings but not to my surprise

I didn't see any deer but saw a chipmunk at sunrise

I hunted til dark and never gave in

I was pretty depressed and had a chew from my tin

Memories carry me of hunts long gone by

I think of those passed on and get a tear in my eye

So back to the shack good food still awaits

I'll be back tomorrow and shoot a big eight

"brutal and sorta pointless."

Like that poem.

I GET it fella's just thing it's more of that "touchy-feely" deep, DEEP introspective gibberish.

Nothing against Yeat's or poetry for that matter.

But I have long maintained that if we could take the top off the skull of some of the profound and sensitive and evocative word writers poetry we would see......a ball of worms.

Okay. I've had my say. I GET it. And I like the analogy of a painting becoming a poem or a poem becoming a painting. Good.

Oh great, now we're talking about poetry. The liberals have finally completely taken over this site. grin

I call this one "Iron Bowl Hues"

Roses are red

Violets are blue

alabama sucks

war eagle dude.

wink