• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best boots for still/stand hunting?

Coach

I am looking for the warmest pair of boots people have found for stand hunting. My son has trouble with cold feet and I want to get him the best so that cold feet is not an issue anymore. Please let me know what you have found.

Thank you

Toe warmers do wonders for kids toes! I buy relatively cheap boots ($50 range) and make sure he has good socks and toe warmers above and below on the coldest days.

jbell, thanks but I should add that my son is 25 so I do not have to worry about him outgrowing his boots next year.

I have a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Icemans. Very warm boot, almost too warm. I spent 11+ hours in my stand last Friday and never got cold feet, they were toasty warm all day. If your son's feet sweat easily have him use anti-persperant on his feet and use moisture wicking socks. Don't lace up the boots real tight either. Tight boots can cause poor circulation which will cause cold feet too.

I have a pair of Lacrosse knee high rubber boots that are 1200 gram, that keep my feet warm, when a lot of other boots wont. My only complaint is the they are not sometime you want to be walking around in, they are heavy.

Muck Arctic Pro, best cold weather boots I have, I have tried boots with liners, 1200 Rocky's, 1400 gr. leather boots, nothing would keep the bottom of my feet warm, last year I went with a pair of the artic pro's and my feet have never been cold since. Ice fishing last winter, warm feet, hole hoping on Devils Lake for 6 hours on bare ice, warm feet.

I use the Cabelas Saskatchewan boots. I love them!

That being said I will start with whats inside the boot. For years I had cold feet. I finally figured out that my feet were always wet from sweating. My problem wasn't keeping warm. I'm always fairly warm, but my feet would sweat and I needed good socks to keep my feet dry and breathing. I found I stay warmer with a proper sock combo in lighter boots unless its super cold.

I would start by figuring out why his feet are cold. More insulation or heaters aren't always better if the cause is wetness. A good combo would include a base layer sock for wicking followed by an insulation layer sock. NO COTTON! Synthetics and wool are the best. FInd the right combination of insulation layers and you won't need a heavy pac boot until the temps truly require it.

I agree with the quality sock statement very true. I HATE big clumsy boots period, I prefer to where a mid weight boot with a good sock combo and if it gets really cold i pull out the boot blankets and put them on when I get in the stand, with them you will never have cold feet again..

I could never get the right boots but I tried the Boot Blankets and they really did the trick for me. You cant walk in them, so you need to carry to and from stand but they sure worked well.

The military surplus Mickey Mouse boots have always done the trick for me. The white ones are warmer than the black ones. Also make sure they say Beta on the bottom. Those are military issue and not knock-offs.

I have the white Bunny Boats also and they are very warm but very heavy. I use them along with good socks (Filson heavyweight) for ice fishing. But they are so heavy that I bought Camuk Extremes (spendy but light and warm) and use the boot booties and toe warmers and I also sit in a heater body suit. I was not cold at all last week.

The military surplus Mickey Mouse boots have always done the trick for me. The white ones are warmer than the black ones. Also make sure they say Beta on the bottom. Those are military issue and not knock-offs.

Agree (but I got the black ones)! I've had my mickeys for almost 20 years and paid around $25 back then. Fleet Farm sells them for about $60 now. I'm going to purchase another pair once they have my size in as I finally put a hole in my old ones. They are heavy and have horrible grips but neither play a big factor from sitting in a stand all day. For ice fishing, you just need some cleats.

All-in-all, best boot for the money hands down!

I have a pair of Ice Mans that i wear when sitting on stand, a little heavy for walking but warm.

MFF has them on sale now for $69.00.

I used some LaCrosse 1200 gram rubber boots all past deer season for 8 days and my toes did not get cold, even with all day sits. I am sold on the activated handwarmers under my toes. I wear polyprop socks with good wool socks and make sure the boots go on a boot dryer every night. I was warm and mostly scent free to boot.

Check out the rechargeable lithium ion heated insoles from the C store.

I was looking at them in the Late Season Hunting catalog last night. Seemed like they might be a decent option to buying new boots. Not that they're cheap, but maybe cheaper than a top of the line new pair of boots. And for the price, I'm thinking they're probably made well.

I'm considering giving them a try.

Oh yeah, they come with a remote for off/med/hi heat. Can last 6 hours on high. Is another remote a good thing for a guy?? wink

Just about any large pack boot with room for toe warmers will do the trick, mickey mouse boots another good option and finally boot blankets with toe warmers will keep anyone warm.

• 2 months later...

I was in the same boat a couple years ago and, after much research I went with a pair of Cabela's Inferno boots. 2000 grams of thinsulate, light and very comfortable.

I dropped a pair of thinsulate thermal insoles in them too...Not because they needed them, it just added a nice layer of cushion. Most days it's just a pair of Smartwool socks, nothing else. Other days a pair of regular old sweat socks is just fine.

Have never needed toe warmers or anything else. In all the conditions you can imagine, my feet haven't been cold in 2 two years.

I have poor circulation in my legs and get cold feet, here is what I have found to work for me...I wear ice armor liner socks, ice armor wool socks on top of that and trekker 2000 gram boots I got at cabelas. I have heard good things about the infernos, ice armor boots and the white mickeys. Good socks is key and changing them half way through the day if possible. Also try a dry powder in boots before putting them on.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

My feet seem to get cold no matter what - or did - with the best boot, sock, tricks/tips combos mentioned. And it is all good advice. My insurance policy, though, is a pair of boot blankets. I slip them on over my boots when in stand or blind, throw in a hand warmer or two inside the blankets that are over the boots, and I am good all day.

Besides good boots one thing I am considering for this fall is to modify my climbing stand a little.  I was thinking of attaching some sort of thin foam material to the base platform.  Boots sitting on cold metal will lose heat quicker than if you have some sort of extra separation/insulation.

I was thinking something like a foam yoga mat or something thicker if I can find it.  It might also help make my stand base less slippery if it snows or rains and it should help make it quieter when moving my feet around or when I inevitably drop something on it while up in the tree. 

• 2 weeks later...

Your point about resting your boots on an open metal platform is very valid. Any piece of closed cell foam will do the trick. The cheapest way I've found is the old fashioned closed cell blue foam sleeping pads. They cost about $10 and you can cut them into whatever pieces you want or stack them up for more foam. 

• 1 month later...

my feet freeze easily, i have some 800 gram irish setters and if its in the 40's and i'm stand hunting they will get cold; so i pack my Mickey boots along, best boots to keep you warm. Socks have never helped me, i can wear cotton socks in mickey boots and be fine. I tried smart wool's in my irish setters and they were useless

Edited by Jmnhunter

I bought a pair of Wolverine's this past winter 1000 gram's.  Very light boot since I walk 1/4 mile to my stand each morning but I did put a toe warmer in the tip and my feet never got cold this year when it was in the 20s.  See how ice fishing goes.  Best part was the boots were only 80 bucks.

I have poor circulation and always cold feet. Several years ago I bought Cammuks extremes by steiger and all my cold issues stopped. There are a camo mukluk. Most comfortable warm footwear I have ever used for deer hunting or ice fishing. I will never be without a pair.

Mwal

• 2 weeks later...

I had same problem as your son for years until I bought Irish Setters. Use 'em for hunting and ice fishing. A bit clumsy if you're walking a ton, but I have only had cold toes when the weather's been well below zero and toe warmers have solved that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I also really like my Irish Setters, I have 1000 gram ones. Always had Rockys before but the last pair I had really fell apart fast. The only thing I don't like about the Setters is the soles really pack with mud and snow and are a pain to clear out.