• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2015-2017

Where's Rick at? Figured he'd be all over this thread by now!

He's been working on the east coast and whatnot. Said something about being on some ice this weekend though. I think he mentioned that he was going basically straight from the airport to the lake....

Is there enough ice to drive a wheeler from the winter access to the meth hole? Where do you guys park when you go out there?

I only had 5-6" of Ice where I was on the meth hole. I'd be careful driving a wheeler, we walked out so it wasn't a big deal for us

I only had 5-6" of Ice where I was on the meth hole. I'd be careful driving a wheeler, we walked out so it wasn't a big deal for us

Were you the group that was right next to the hole? We set up between the red shack and that blue one with the generator, and we had between 8 and 9 inches measured. There's some variability apparently, but measuring over 8 in spots and taking the variability down to 6 into consideration, my opinion is that there's plenty for snowmobile traffic.

Another good day out there. Slow going until after dark, then lots of fish on the sonar but no bites on the liver we had. Got some minnows from some friendly neighbors after maybe close to an hour of not a single bite, then immediately hammered 9 straight in a half hour or so, then it slowed again. Switched back to liver and started hammering them again. Ended with 27. Adam outfished me by 4, I think.

Where do the people that are walking on park? Or to take a wheeler can you park on 22 anywhere near the winter access?

Nice to see you and Adam out there, Brian. We were glad to share some of our minnows in exchange for hauling our stuff. I'd say your generosity trumped ours. smile

We had more or less the exact same report. Early on, minnows were the only thing they'd hit. After a while, the rod with liver--that I hadn't even looked at for half an hour--almost got pulled into the hole. From then on, they only wanted liver.

Where do the people that are walking on park? Or to take a wheeler can you park on 22 anywhere near the winter access?

There were at least 15 trucks on hwy 22 when I got there at 4:15 lined up and down the road by the winter access. Probably 10 on the west side, 5 on the east. It'll be obvious when you get there. In the narrow section where you actually pull onto the lake there are 'no parking' signs, but further to the north it's clear of signage and plenty of folks parked there. Never had an issue, personally.

Very nice day to be on the lake smile light wind, warm sun and active fish made for a great outing.

Found between 7-8in of ice where we were. Only an inch or two of snow on top makes getting around pretty easy.

It took a little time before we found a good pod of fish today, we searched out the 22-35 ft depths. Found our best numbers in 28ft, most fish came in well off the bottom. My old standby, the 1/16 Frostee was what I had on, minnow heads seemed to be working just fine wink lost personal count on cats around 15, likley got a dozen or so more after that. Best bite was just after dark, couldn't keep up with one line grinfull-26589-51693-20141129_154028.jpg

full-26589-51694-20141129_161325.jpg

full-26589-51695-20141129_174143.jpg

full-26589-51696-20141129_175220.jpg

Plenty of bait theives too full-26589-51697-20141129_163233.jpg

full-26589-51698-20141129_141258.jpg

Nothing but fun today full-26589-51699-20141129_134054.jpg

full-26589-51700-20141129_150813.jpg

full-26589-51701-20141129_164049.jpg

I'm going to be heading out Thursday or Friday for my first time cattin' through the ice. I got a couple questions that have probably been asked a million times, so I apologize ahead of time.

How far of a drag is it from the winter access to the Meth hole area? Is there any sketchy areas on the way out to look out for?

What's the best/most convenient place to get minnows on the way up from the cities?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Ed

Anne- we were in the thermal frabil on the north end of what I think is the meth hole. There was a green portable north of us 100 hds. Didn't see the houses you are referring to.

Nice report, Rick. Sounds like you were on the fish, as usual. Picking up where you left off last spring, I see.

Well, 612, Stick, and I just got back and it was cold, really cold and not many other silly me(s) out there. Bite was slow, really slow.....unless you were Stick and had a red blade spoon?!?! What??? Little did Clam know they invented the bestes ever negative bite catfish lure...lol. Dude was fishing blind without a flasher.....used his battery for lights instead ..... and was schooling us red flyer users smile Good times though.....

Well, 612, Stick, and I just got back and it was cold, really cold and not many other silly me(s) out there. Bite was slow, really slow.....unless you were Stick and had a red blade spoon?!?! What??? Little did Clam know they invented the bestes ever negative bite catfish lure...lol. Dude was fishing blind without a flasher.....used his battery for lights instead ..... and was schooling us red flyer users smile Good times though.....

LOL. If my flasher doesn't work I go home. I'm too weak to fish blind.

I've comboed the flasher battery for double duty in the past.

Good to see you got out. I was looking for a report but apparently I was in the HSO cattin the chain thread, and not the FM cattin the chain thread. What was I thinking. Now I'm gonna go check on the "outdoor minnesota" thread and see if there are any reports up yonder.

Ha yeah I must have been on the other forum too. smile I did however just read about a great bite up there tonight on FB.

Made it out horseshoe tonight and last night. The catfish bite was phenomenal to say the least. Got a nice fat 8 pounder last night. What a fun fight that was! Had a solid 7-8" all the way from the winter access to the meth hole. Had a double tonight in the house by myself. Fished from about 4 until my headlamp went dead(about 7). Vexilars was lit up the whole time with fish.

Yep, those fish have been super goofy this year. How a catfish can tell, at 25 feet down in fairly stained water, the color of my fishing jersey, I have no idea.

I was looking for a report but apparently I was in the HSO cattin the chain thread, and not the FM cattin the chain thread. What was I thinking. Now I'm gonna go check on the "outdoor minnesota" thread and see if there are any reports up yonder.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I think I need to give these crazy cats a try through the ice.

If you want to head out, Moose, send me a PM. I'll be getting out pretty frequently over the next month or so.

I was out there yesterday 2 I had a blast first time fishin cats in the winter couldnt have asked for a better time I cant wait to bring my girl out there to just hammer them

Super bite last night. Nice to have active fish working. Set up on fish, packed up 4 hours later with fish still under me. Dropped a hemostat on them and they didn't seem to mind. Fresh fathead and liver, didn't seem to matter. Had best luck with a wide gap tungsten jig.

Hoping to get out this weekend for some cats. Are you guys catching them around meth hole? I'm thinking about walking out from the 22 bridge and fishing that area. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Supposed to be nice this weekend.....people will be out, and you will easily see where they are set up.

Scott was that you out all alone in the 4000 last night ?

One man Clam Legend Thermal...a nice guy about 40 yards away bummed me a pretied bobber stop. I pack the kitchen sink and still forget something!

I pack the kitchen sink and still forget something!

This is my life story wink happens to me almost every time I go out...