• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Perms on public land

gp13581

What do you all think about permanent stands on public land? We hunt state forest land. Took Friday off to put up portables for son and daughter. When I get in the woods I find some very elaborate permanent stands built. I try to be considerate and not set up close but they seem to be everywhere. Seems unfair that the locals can build these stands and in effect "reserve" some prime areas. I didn't see anyone out there on Friday. Permanents are illegal. What should I do? Hunt elsewhere and let them have their way? Tear down the stand? Call DNR? Put portable right next to their perm and duke it out in the morning? I don't know. It just feels like the locals are assuming ownership of what should be public land open to everyone? How would you handle this?

the duke out method is no good. Makes hunting no fun. I think you just need to do your best job to find a spot that isn't too close to legal permanents, if they are legal. Nobody wants to hunt close to another hunter and if you can see them that's even worse.

Could be worse, I bow hunted Saturday am and put a ladder stand on my property on the utility easement. 711am I see the neighbor gal from about 8 cabins over walking her dog with blaze orange on right towards me. She just kept coming and walked 3 paces from my stand. She said hi to me and kept right on going. Came back the other way 30 minutes later, said hi again. I didn't hunt their Sunday am but saw in the snow that she did it again Sunday am. I left it alone but at least would request she walks between 10-2 or something. Maybe I need to post my 150 foot lot? Just kidding, she's a great lady stop and talk to her when she's walking her dog all the time. Just wishing though...

You can't get mad about it, some people just don't know better. The neighbor lady walking her dog has no clue. I have to tell myself that over and over again when I'm fishing and there is a 1/4 mile of open water, yet the pleasure boaters have to come within 10 yards of my fishing boat. I want to believe they honestly have no clue what they are doing.

What do you all think about permanent stands on public land?...

Use them when I want to. Ignore them when I want to. Use them as a tool to scout where other hunters will be. Whatever, no biggie.

the duke out method is no good. Makes hunting no fun. I think you just need to do your best job to find a spot that isn't too close to legal permanents, if they are legal. Nobody wants to hunt close to another hunter and if you can see them that's even worse.

But then the question becomes, how do you know if anyone will be in those stands? I had 3 stands in the area I was hunting on public land that were put out on Friday. Nobody touched those stands on Saturday or Sunday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

It may help you next year to go up a week or two ahead of time and do some scouting to see whats new in the woods you hunt. Like deer sign or new stands where there were none. wink

In my area there is a group of 6 (from what I have seen and heard from others) but they have at least 15 homemade ladder stands and perms that cover a huge area. Pretty frustrating...feels like they are staking claim to the ground. I'm new to the area so I keep my distance...I'm there to relax.

Ban 'em! No place for that on public land. Kind of eliminates the "public" aspect when there are elaborate permies taking up large tracts of land.

From experience, if you know where they camp stop by friday night before season and ask if they using the stand/stands in the area you want to hunt. More times than not in my experience, if it isn't one of thier favorites they will tell you to use it or hunt the area.

We had had issues with elaborate stands being built around us before. Soon we realized no one actually hunted out of them, unfortunately, some do try to block others from a large area. But for us and two other camps whom actually talk to each other we quickly realised it was none of our stands and didn't allow them to deter us from our spots.

There is a sense of ownership to a small area to a lot of us public hunters. It is not that we try to run off newcomers, for us we put a lot of time fine tuning stand sites, learning the terrain, cleaning up the woods and first and foremost it is for everyone's safety. There are 20+/- hunters near us, all now where the others typically are, we keep a mess organized and safe.

Again, my suggestion is talk to the camp, there is probably no problem with you hunting where you want, they will appreciate your conern and you might end up with experienced advice and new friends.

Just so you know, we hunt where we can no longer use permanent stands. Its ok with us as we now prefer ladder stands. Also less mess left in the woods to clean up.

I do wish we still had one platform stand so I could more comfortably hunt, with the kids when they get old enough.

I too, do not support the building of "box" stands on public property. I do not mind simple platforms with no walls or roof however.

anyfish is right on. In most cases they are normal guys just like you and I. Start off with trying to work together and most likely you'll hit it off. Problem is you need to do a little bit of sleuthing to find out how to get hold of them unless you happen upon them.

If they are wiener heads when you talk to them then you probably would want to move down the road a spell anyhow.

If someone is in the stand I will not hunt near it. If no one is there when I get there I will hunt it. I do not use the stand, never know how well it was constructed.

Never had to 'duke' it out when someone came in after I was set up.

I too, do not support the building of "box" stands on public property. I do not mind simple platforms with no walls or roof however.

I can roll with that, too.

Would you rather know ahead of time someone is hunting that area or the morning of your hunt? I also Hunt public and have found perms...but I have also shot many large bucks in different areas. My point is, the woods area huge and deer don't stay in one place.

Permanent stands do not belong on public land. Who wants to especially look at tower stands all year round and permanent stands have also been outlawed for the nails in trees that loggers hit causing much danger. Temporary portable stands left all deer season I have no problem with.

Yes many counties outlaw permanent stands.

What do you all think about permanent stands on public land? We hunt state forest land. Took Friday off to put up portables for son and daughter. When I get in the woods I find some very elaborate permanent stands built. I try to be considerate and not set up close but they seem to be everywhere. Seems unfair that the locals can build these stands and in effect "reserve" some prime areas. I didn't see anyone out there on Friday. Permanents are illegal. What should I do? Hunt elsewhere and let them have their way? Tear down the stand? Call DNR? Put portable right next to their perm and duke it out in the morning? I don't know. It just feels like the locals are assuming ownership of what should be public land open to everyone? How would you handle this?

So you show up the day before opener and don't expect to see stands in the woods. Permenanent or not there is going to be stands put up well before October. Maybe get in the woods a little earlier next year.

What does it matter if the stand has fabric around it to block wind and keep deer from seeing movement? Or if it has a roof to block the rain? How is it any different than a portable or ladder stand in the same spot? still means someone else set up there first. I would still hunt the area but be respectful of others who are there as well.

I think the no walls and roof rules help in 2 ways. One, there are many people who would like for nothing to be left in the woods, ever. Allowing a raised platform without walls and a roof is the compromise. Second, it keeps people from actually living out of a tree stand on public land. If walls and roofs were legal than someone would just build a home in a tree and call it a deer stand.

Tear it down and expect to be spittin your teeth out. Leave it alone, quit [PoorWordUsage] n moaning about it and find a different spot. Good luck

Move on to a new area. Dont show up day before and think nobody else will already be set up. Leave permanents alone, unless your looking for trouble, just my 2 cents. The locals are not someone you want to deal with up Nort!

Good luck, spend some time scouting a new area for next year. There is plenty of woods out there for everyone, might take a little work, don't be scared to walk in a few miles to get past the hunters along the roads. I walk in a few miles on public land, bring a GPS and you will be fine. Hunting takes a little work but pays off as well!

Luckily for us there were a few old perms in the area as some one cut the cables on two of our ladder stands and stole them. We don't think it was the guys that built the perms because we have used them now for the last 3 seasons and no one has ever showed up. We think it was just someone else that wanted a few ladder stands that took ours. frown

As the law states the permanent stands built are not owned or the property of the person that built it, it is public property.

I don't think that a person should hunt in someone else's stand and I do not do it either. I found a perm and a porty that has been up for quite some time while I was searching for new areas and once I found these stands I simply backed out and found another spot.

the spot I hunted Saturday evening was about a 1/4 mile down wind of the perm I found and shot a monster buck and as I was gutting the brute out I heard the guy in the perm stand shoot one too. the days of walking a couple hundred yards off the main road or beaten path are over. you can find great hunting on public land just have to search it out.

As the law states the permanent stands built are not owned or the property of the person that built it, it is public property.

I don't think that a person should hunt in someone else's stand and I do not do it either. I found a perm and a porty that has been up for quite some time while I was searching for new areas and once I found these stands I simply backed out and found another spot.

the spot I hunted Saturday evening was about a 1/4 mile down wind of the perm I found and shot a monster buck and as I was gutting the brute out I heard the guy in the perm stand shoot one too. the days of walking a couple hundred yards off the main road or beaten path are over. you can find great hunting on public land just have to search it out.

Agree, on not using someone else stands. We have bow hunted this area for the last 16 years and knew that the party that built them had abandoned them and moved on to a new spot. They may have gotten tired for playing with the Wolves and low Deer numbers? wink

sorry but I have built stands on public land and always have the notion that it isn't anymore mine then the next guys and if someone is sitting in it when I come to hunt then I keep moving. the people that would get mad at someone in a stand they built on public land can get bent for all I care. If they gave me a lot of flack I might just start ripping the stand down right in front of them to teach them a lesson. Lets let them try to knock my teeth out!! Hate those that think public is solely theirs cause they live near it. I pay taxes and the land is just as much mine as theirs!! I have never ran into this issue of people having a problem but if the stand is there don't be afraid to sit in it. If it is a stand like a ladder or portable then I won't touch it and move on. I have hunted with a party that has a bunch of permys out on public and when people go into "their" area they get mad at times and I just laugh...they always say "we have hunted here for 20+ years" and I always say "so?" Go out relax and enjoy the season!!

sorry but I have built stands on public land and always have the notion that it isn't anymore mine then the next guys and if someone is sitting in it when I come to hunt then I keep moving. the people that would get mad at someone in a stand they built on public land can get bent for all I care. If they gave me a lot of flack I might just start ripping the stand down right in front of them to teach them a lesson. Lets let them try to knock my teeth out!! Hate those that think public is solely theirs cause they live near it. I pay taxes and the land is just as much mine as theirs!! I have never ran into this issue of people having a problem but if the stand is there don't be afraid to sit in it. If it is a stand like a ladder or portable then I won't touch it and move on. I have hunted with a party that has a bunch of permys out on public and when people go into "their" area they get mad at times and I just laugh...they always say "we have hunted here for 20+ years" and I always say "so?" Go out relax and enjoy the season!!

Out of curiosity , what do you define as "permanent" and why would you sit in some ones permanent but not in a portable ?

So here is another question. This is the first year I am on public state forest land (had private access prior but after taking a 215# 8 pointer, my friends father, brother and nephew decided that they wanted to start to hunt his 30 acres from then on, so I and my now 12 year old son were out)

Perm's are not allowed on state forest land but portables are. I started scouting this area this late summer. I have found, just in the areas I have scouted, over a dozen-15 portables that are left out year round. In talking to some of the hunters this past weekend, there is a group from the cities area (I'm in the very north end of 183) that has a shack on a couple acres next to this public tract that has left these out for @ 10 years. There is a wheeler trail that goes for close to 3 miles with stands of theirs all along it. I scouted up to the weekend before season, and never saw one ounce of activity at any of the stands. This trail runs along the back side of several private fields which obviously attract deer. Is it right for them (4-6 hunters I was told) to expect everyone else to stay out of this area the whole season? Even if all 6 are hunting, there are at least 6-9 empty stands, and my guess is there are even more than that.

I have my stand setup a ways away from this trail, but I have thursday off and am considering walking this trail to see how the snow is effecting the deer movement. When I scouted this area earlier, I literally could not find a spot to put a stand on the backside of those fields that was not within 200 yards of another porty.

I define permanent as a stand that is usually wood and was built into the tree or not leaving the forest. I won't sit in ladder or climbers with the thought they just put them up but if there is sign that the stand has been placed and left out then have at it as I have thinking back sat in a ladder stand or 2 on the 3rd weekend up north when a sole is not around. I don't want to sound like a [PoorWordUsage] but I just don't get the entitlement some feel when using public land. I hunted for years a tract of land that was way deep in the woods for most to access unless trespassing but occasionally I would have a determined person trek back and we would cross paths and if they were set up I kept moving. In fact one time some one was sitting in my favorite stand I built and I had a casual conversation with him and away I went. He offered me the stand but like I told him "yeah I built it (with wood I gathered) but you got here first today so enjoy the stand and good luck!"

So here is another question...

I would just put your stand where you are comfortable with. Unless it's all field with no trees in-between, I wouldn't consider 200 yards to be crowding anyone else.

I think most people assume there is going to be conflict in these situations, but most people hunting public land understand seeing other hunters and having them in your general vicinity is par for the course. Plus, there is no way 6 guys could cover 3 miles of trail.

But, one point of clarification, perms are allowed on state forest lands. They are not encouraged, but they are not illegal.

Seems unfair that the locals can build these stands and in effect "reserve" some prime areas. I didn't see anyone out there on Friday. Permanents are illegal. What should I do?

Honestly, treat them the same way you'd treat a portable or ladder stand...find a new area! Why compete in an area where there are other hunters? Why risk ruining opening day with a dispute? There are lots of public acres if you're willing to go off the beaten path. Be honest with yourself...are you mad that is was a permanent, or more mad that it was set up where YOU wanted to be? If it was a legal ladder stand put up three weeks ago, that's no less "claiming" an area than if it was a permanent--it means someone is probably going to be there. I'm not casting stones or picking a fight. I get where you're coming from and it can be frustrating. I'm just saying it's easier to move along and find your own quieter piece of real estate to hunt.

For me personally, I avoid other people's stands like the plague. I don't sit in something I didn't put up whether I am "entitled" to or not. They scouted, they put the work in to put the stand up, and that's their area--in my opinion, mind you. To each their own.