• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rod cases

noska

I want a rod case that can also fit my tackle. Thoughts? I don't want it to weigh 50lbs. Looking at ice innovations rod case, but have heard it's really heavy.

I bought a Striker Ice Transporter last year and love it, 3 rods slide in each end, top opens to hold tackle, tip ups, ice scoop. plus side pockets for pliers, weights etc etc. So far money well spent

I have the Ice Fishing Innovations rod case and its fairly heavy, but then again I have a ton of stuff in it as it basically holds everything you need. There are times I wish it were lighter and smaller, but I don't think you can find another rod case that fits 6 rods without haven't to do anything to the reels. If you're going to go with 3 or 4 rods you have a lot more options like the Clam Rod Locker's and the Otter case. The Otter is going to be a little heavier as well. The Clam's I'm not sure how long of a rod they hold though as I use a lot of 36" rods.

I have an Otter rod case and I'll never own anything else, it's that good. If you wanted to include a small tackle case inside, you'll need to give up carrying one less rod as you'll need the space.

I bought a Striker Ice Transporter last year and love it, 3 rods slide in each end, top opens to hold tackle, tip ups, ice scoop. plus side pockets for pliers, weights etc etc. So far money well spent
x2. Going on the 3rd season with mine and absolutely love it.

You dont have to, but you would need to put something to cover the bare hook. There is some nylon type fabric that the hooks can get into otherwise.

I bought these foam like treble hook protectors and do not have any issues. I did the first time I used it though, learned my lesson quickly.

Question about the striker...do you have to take your lures off everytime...cause that would be a game breaker for me

if you hook your hook into the cork of end end if your rod or back towards the reel you should be fine.

I have an Otter rod case and I'll never own anything else, it's that good. If you wanted to include a small tackle case inside, you'll need to give up carrying one less rod as you'll need the space.

+1. The new Striker Units looks nice, but the hard-sided Otter rod cases (Sportsman's Box) are foolproof and fail-proof, and have plenty of off-season applications as well. I've got one molded to fit the large Otter Box on the back of my Grizzly, and that box has inadvertently come off at high speed when not properly secured (driver error, not design)...twice, not a scratch on anything inside.

The otter rod case is one of the more durable cases out there. You could cut out some of the foam to make room for a smaller tackle box too. It's pretty light and doesn't take up too much space in the sled either.

Otter case are nice, but definitely not indestructible. WE had two of them have problems with bent piano hinges on the case. They happened when we laid them flat over the top of our gear in the sled we were towing behind the snowmobiles. The bouncing around on the trip across the lake was too much for it to handle. I think if you lay them sideways with the bottom of it sitting on the bottom of your sled you won't have this issue.

I personally use a Stone Legacy Revolution case which is an awesome design - not a hard case but is designed to carry on your back, which is my preference anyways. Unfortunately I don't think they make these any more.

Thumbs up for the ice innovation case. Only case I have had that has managed to not have a rod broken. I can care everything in it. It is huge though but it protects my equipment better than anything else I have found.

The Stone Legacy cases were about the best soft cases out there it is a shame they don't make them anymore. I've had mine since they first came out it will be tough to find a replacement if it ever gives up.

The Stone Legacy bags are awesome but as stated not made anymore. I luckily got a half dozen before they stopped production. Great for most shorter trips but when I need my rods fully protected I use my Otter Rod case. never have a worry about my rods with that baby. I can usually get enough rods and plano boxes in there to last me any trip I go on.

Go on Amazon and search for gun cases. Plano makes a ton. Very durable and spacious. I have one that holds 5 panfish rods and another that holds 10 rods (usually my larger/longer combo's, tackle bozes, jaw jackers, etc.). This one is very similar to the Otter case but less than half the price.