• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Show some class

BLACKJACK

Took Friday off to pheasant hunt and bow hunt. I was on the road by 7:30 to find a public hunting area that said ‘hunt me’. The first area that I went to and had been watching still had standing corn next to it, the combine was in the field but wasn’t close to done. The second area had all the crops gone but they were soybeans and it had probably been awhile since all the soybeans were gone and had probably been run thru multiple times by hunters. The third area looked better, most of the corn on the west side was gone, only about 1/5 of the field left, flare boxes of shelled corn still in the field, east side had an already combined soybean field next to it, lots of grass and potholes in-between, this was it. Settled into an approach on the west side at 8:35 and proceeded to drink coffee, listen to Sid and Dave, waiting for 9 AM.

Was a beautiful morning for a hunt!!! Not a cloud in the sky, sunny and brisk, I even had to dig out a stocking cap for a while. About 20 minutes into the hunt my lab got hot, up jumped a rooster, and I missed it!!! Gee whiz!!! Perfect plan but the jerk behind the trigger missed!!! Proceeded onward, hunted back and forth in the grass, back to the cornfield edge, checked out some potholes, had a couple false ‘there was a bird here boss’ reports from my lab, dipped her a small lake to cool her off, explored by a farmstead and corner that I had never been in before, no more birds but hey, did I mention it was a beautiful day to be out pheasant hunting?

After about an hour and half I started working my way back, heading for the soybean edge, came over the hill – and I see a white truck parked in one of the other parking spots!!! What the heck?? He hadn’t been there when I started!! I know my truck was visible from where he had to drive in at. Where was he? Was I hunting ground that he had already been on?? Proceeded along and pretty soon I see him coming over the hill following the soybean edge, when he sees me he starts angling back to his truck. At that point I’m screwed, in order to get back to my truck I either have to hunt thru the territory he just came thru or thru territory I had hunted already. I opted for my previous territory, maybe another bird had flown out of the corn, the other hunter after a short hike thru grass I had already hunted hopped in his truck and left, long before I got back to my truck.

Was a beautiful day to be out following my lab around, I should have had a bird, but it sure would have been nice to not have to deal with that other hunter cutting me off.

When I told my tale to my wife her comment was “what don’t you understand about public hunting”. My response to her was “there is more than 5,000 acres of public hunting ground within 5 miles of that spot, lots of options to choose from. Opening day is different, you expect it to be a zoo, hunters crowding in at 8:55, cutting you off, but there was no need for that on a Friday morning two weeks after the opener, I didn’t see another hunter in the field, he didn’t need to crowd in there”.

When you’re out this fall, be considerate of your fellow hunters, give them some space, it doesn’t have to be a pizzing contest!! Pheasant hunting is not a competition, you don't have to cut other hunters off. Plan your hunt accordingly, give yourself time to find another hunting area if your first choice is occupied already, there are pheasants in other areas too.

I tend to operate the same way as you, if I see a truck, I keep driving and I usually hunt mid week because I hate running into other hunters...however not everybody operates that way, it is pubic land, he has as much right to be there as you do, if you couldn't see him then he probably couldn't see you, and when you guys saw each other he turned around and left. That's the nature of public land and for me it beats the alternative of paying several thousand dollars/acre for my own honey hole.

Yeah, it happens. My boy and I were out a couple weekends ago hunting a large tract of land and we get to the farthest point from our truck and I see a guy off to our left. I quickly just turn us around paralleling the area we just walked. Having a young hunter and a young dog, I want to be as far away from anyone else as possible. It was a chance meeting. HUGE area and only 3 guys hunting it. I ended up talking to him as we were leaving as he was sitting at his car, nice guy. He did the same thing we did when he saw us! :-)

There are some good folks out there and even though we wear gawdy orange its hard to see where folks are. He probably had no idea we would be where we were since when we ran into each other it was essentially straight North of his car, but we were NW of where we parked. No harm, no foul. He shot a bird, we didnt.

Minnesota public land.

Crowded on a weekeday / Friday no less. Somewhat sad.

That said it is more a mental thing unless there is a safety issue (you are walking towards each other or are within gun range of each other).

Don't assume all pheasants run and flush wild. Many sit tight or circle back. I have watched pheasants walking across black dirt when hunters were walking a narrow belt. I have seen birds cross a gravel road - exiting a slough between two hunters pushing a small cattail slough out into the field.

I have killed pheasants walking over where I just was, let alone someone else. I once walked the same spot back and forth twice (4 passes total) on the 4th pass I killed a nice rooster. He and a few hens held for multiple passes. If they were not pinned by my Britt, they chose to sit or run.

Another time we watch a flock of pheasants fly into a CRP field near a slough where we were hunting ducks. A group of 3 guys and four retrievers pushed across the field flush perhaps a hen or two. I headed in from the opposite direction and dropped two roosters. A third made the unfortunate decision to fly over the slough and my brother dropped it into the decoys.

Not that pheasants and grouse are at all the same, but I have killed more grouse on my walk out than the way in this year.

Pure common sense goes a long ways. Yes it is state land but I think he should have stayed put until he spotted you then headed out a different direction if he wanted to hunt it that bad. I had a guy cut in front of me at about fifty yards with no dog and precede to walk in the direction I was going. I told him either get back here with the dog and I or take the chance of getting sprayed......He left. If its a big enough chunk of land theres no way one guy is going to cover everything anyhow.

came over the hill – and I see a white truck parked in one of the other parking spots!!! What the heck?? He hadn’t been there when I started!! I know my truck was visible from where he had to drive in at. Where was he? Was I hunting ground that he had already been on??

I think your story explains the situation. The property sounds like its more than big enough for a couple hunters. You couldn't see him until you came over the hill. He probably couldn't see you either. He probably decided it was best to hunt into the wind and picked a route similiar to yours. It could be an honest mistake. The guy could be a complete jackweed too. Both situations are something you should EXPECT to encounter on lands open to the public.

Public land hunters need to have thick skin. Make the best of the situation and move on to your next walk.

Public land hunters need to have thick skin. Make the best of the situation and move on to your next walk.

^^^This is what I was trying to say, only you said it better.

Maybe the guy thought you were a deer hunter hunting the back corner of the land and that if he did some pheasant hunting far, far from you it wouldn't hurt you any, and may help you.

Couple years ago my dad and I were hunting day after thanksgiving on a wpa out west. We were pushing some cattails towards the boundary that butts up to private. 2 yahoos saw us and drove a truck out on the private ground and faced us, just watching us. Couple minutes later I realized they were muzzle loader hunters waiting to see if we kicked up any deer. I wasn't interested in having muzzle loader slugs thrown our way so we turned around fast. Complete chumbalones.

I almost look forward to seeing others come in behind me on public land. I'll sit and wait for them to push past, then follow and get all the birds they miss. You've never seen the look of frustration like that of a solo man and his wirehair plucking off a rooster limit in land someone literally just walked across. grin

You guys were gentler than I thought, I expected to get barbecued by hunters that think anything goes on public hunting land.

Best comment was concerning having a thick skin but sometimes you just shake your head. I’ve had a couple of hunts on a <80 acre public area where I’m obviously visible yet a hunter stops, gets out and runs the cornfield edge, back to his truck and leaves. Another time, same area, I know they had to see me, three hunters hop out, hunt the brushy draw down the center, and leave. Head shaking…

One reason I started this thread was to so the hunters that do crowd you on public land realize that not everybody appreciates that form of behavior and that at times its accepted behavior (opening weekend) but most times its not.

The best analogy I can think of is driving on 494 and drivers tailgating you at three car lengths while you’re driving 65 MPH. At that point its expected behavior on a major highway, if drivers leave bigger gaps, other drivers fill it. On the other hand, once you get out on the rural roads, driving west on highway 7, wide open country, its not acceptable behavior to tailgate someone at three car lengths without the intention of passing, those drivers think its normal driving behavior, yet most people realize its dangerous, the lead driver may have to hit the brakes hard for a deer or a kid on a bike.

Same with pheasant hunting on public land, its expected behavior on opening weekend to have hunters crowd into management areas, show up at 8:55, cut you off, etc. Yet that same behavior, crowding and cutting people off is not acceptable behavior past opening weekend, its not normal courteous hunting behavior– yet some hunters continue to do it. Hopefully they start to realize that not all hunters like it and they can stop it by a few simple steps – do some map research -- the DNR has some wonderful online maps – plan your hunt so you have other options if the first area is occupied by another hunter, and go a little early in case you need to change plans, take the extra time to enjoy the morning and the countryside.

Safe hunting to all!!

I feel ya, Blackjack. Public land is such a crapshoot.

What's worse is when you park near a wood trail for grouse, and bump into hunters when you're halfway through on the way back.

"Oh, we didn't realize someone was hunting here."

Really?? You literally parked next to my truck. What did you think was going on? A wicken chanting circle? Marijuana farming? Mid-day hillbilly orgy??

You just have to shake your head, give them the mental finger, and move on. It's what sensible Minnesotans do.

I hear ya blackjack. Had pellets and slugs rain over my head and into the cattails around us a few times through the years.

One guy even fired several shots across a paved road into a game refuge at a duck that was flying right toward my dad and I sitting on the refuge line. He dropped the bird in the game refuge his pellets rained over our heads and hit the corn behind us. THEN he had the balls to say "aren't you going to help me find the bird?" He's lucky my dad didn't tear him limb from limb. I was 12 at the time. You can't fix stupid but I just find myself turning around and going the other way if it happens now.

I hunt a lot of public land, and like most say weekdays are better. If it is easy access and it looks birdy you will have competition no matter the day. Some of my best hunts have been on public land but put in some serious work that most are not willing to do. It does stink when people have less respect towards others.

Kettle

I'm only inYear 5 of phesant hunting, but this thread has answered tons of questions I have had about what acceptable when hunting public land. Thanks! It confirms that my first option should be to find another spot if my first choice is occupied. It also confirms that at times it can be acceptable to hunt "the other end" of a big piece, especially if the other party is small in numbers. (I usually hunt alone or with my kids.) Finally, it's good to know I'm not the only ethical hunter screwed over by those jackweeds who cut you off or run the edge of your field. I tell my boys "ok, that's what we don't do." Then I swear under my breath until I get to the next spot...

• 2 weeks later...

While it used to upset me to have someone come by and set up near me while I bowhunted and rifle hunted on public land (It annoyed me enough to buy my own place), I never felt that way about bird hunting. The guy with the best dog wins when it comes to bird hunting. You might kill a bird within 10 feet of where somebody just walked over. In that way it's a lot like fishing.