• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Vest Solution

MNpurple

In a previous thread about dog vests I saw how some guys have trouble with their vests rubbing their dogs raw. My lab has an incredibly deep chest and no matter what I do or how I have tried to fit various vests, it always rubs the inside of her front legs and armpits real bad. Yet there are times she needs some protection as the season goes on and she gets beat up. Its no skid plate, but my solution that may help some others...I went to one of the big box stores and bought a kids size medium Champion undershirt, (the wicking kind), cut down the long sleeves and put it on her as a shirt. It breathes for her, doesn't rub and even covers her belly quite well too. Sure all the other dogs laugh and call her names....but she keeps hunting when the rest are laid up after the cattails have beaten them up.

IMG_20131130_084918_416_zpse0a83397.jpg

Love it! Its her dress!

Hey now stop it, she's very self conscious! Until the truck parks and the shotgun comes out then she forgets she's wearing it. smile

Great idea. I have the same issue with my deep chested Griffon. Have not found a vest that doesn't rub her raw. Thanks.......

My Britts also get deep chested as they reach 5 years of age. Not like a lab, but I have noticed the rubbing issue under the front legs.

The neoprene vest my Britt (in my avatar) is wearing was trimmed away from the inner leg area and there has been no problem since.

There are upland skid plates that protect chest and tummy but are cut so that they do not rub under the legs.