• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shiner run

There was a solid run of really nice sized shiners over a month ago. Since then it's been pretty sketchy.

Not sure we're going to see much of a steady run this year. The current in the river is as slow as I've ever seen it, and with years like this one, at least in my experience, we just don't see much of a run in the river.

They sure do pile up out in the lake though! Wink wink, nudge nudge... wink

oh, and welcome to the forum! smile

I think someone should have welcomed him about 6 years ago... Welcome aboard !!

My buds over thatta way are all still pretty much doing the pond as of late.

Hopefully it happens as it's been a 2 or 3 falls since I've been on a really good fall season river bite which is really wierd.

Oh well I am still getting a few Wally's so far this fall anyhow.

Like Canopy Sam said, the first wave came through a while ago. It is common that there is a lull after the first run. What happens next is anybodies guess. There is plenty of time left, the run can last right up till freeze up and we are several weeks away from that event(????)

Think thers an ol swedish saying, the shinners dont go if the rivers got no flow. I looked it up, its true. But im norski by decent, and i prefer our saying. If the river dont flow the shiners dont go. grin

Well last nite between 9:00 pm. till about 11:00 pm I had a massive shiner run caught a bunch, but the reports on good fishing in the river is few and far between, the river bite will turn on when it's cold and miserable in mid Nov.?

Thanks for the report Steve, and thanks for the minners last week, and thanks for diggin me out those jigs I'd been searching for. They've been working as usual !!

Good to know, Steve! At least there's a little sumpthin goin' on.

You're spot on about November too! I'll put the boat in storage when the ramps start to get icy. Otherwise it's piles of warm clothes and fish on!

in my expreiance if the shiner run is bad or non exsistant like a few years ago the earlt ice bite is not good. Coments !1

First nite i had a huge shiner run was sept 5th , since then they have been in every nite so far and some incredible amounts some nights, not much current but loads of bait. Earlier on it was to warm to store alot of minnows but its getting better now, and good late fishing will follow just bundle up

If those shiners minnows would go somewhere else to make runs up rivers or creeks the fish would follow them there. It is lucky for us they like the Rainy.

awsome to here, love late season rainy/woods, Ive given up deer hunting for walleyes and..... yeah thats right I gave up deer hunting for late season walley up there, holey smokes, lots of fun and no pressure, if one was to lock his brothers keys in the truck at the landing while trailering a boat that would be the best time to do it. What?? grin

What will happen in the end is unknown but it is still plenty early for shiner gettin'. The ice wont come for a month or more, until then bait guys will be trying to fill the boxes so don't get too shook up yet.

The shiner run for me the last couple of late evenings have been great, I should have plenty of them probably all winter. the bite last evening on the river from 4:00 till dusk was big fish night it was windy but they were snappin if you could hold anchor. steve@logcabin

Not looking for anyone's honey holes, but I'm wondering if you were fishing between the lake and Baudette, or east of Baudette towards Vidas, Frontier?

With the reports I've heard, I"m still torn about coming up. If I arrow a deer in the next couple of days, I'm thinking of making a run up for the day on Monday.

Thanks,

Brian

Steve,

Not sure if you'll remember us, but you gave us some advice last Saturday to head West to get out of the wind. Just want to say thanks, as we had a VERY good day fishing. We will be back up in December and will be sure to stop in.

DK

The bite last evening on the river from 4:00 till dusk was big fish night

Awesome it's gonna maybe happen yet sooner than later. Now if we can get some decent weather I'll really be scratching my noggin on where to go.. So many Walleyes and so little time remaing!!

Thanks for the report Steve.

I have been catching shiners since 1987 the shiner run up here right now SUCKS so believe what you want . sure some people caught a few a mounth ago. but lately when you here a report of how the minnows a running like crazy and the fish are thick in the river because of it . be careful I'm a launch driver and when the wind blows and i can't fish the big lake. I dread the day ahead of me there are very few fish in the river and very few shiners. just my opion.

Well I've been catching Shiners since 1977 when my Dad bought the lot next to where Bugsy's house is now. Seems a long long time ago now and I was still in high school then. My mom took ill so we sold it to the Adrians folks 5-6 years back. I sure miss those big Pine trees. I learned about the catching as well as the power/magic of the Emerald Shiner along with many other things fishy on the river and the pond back then from an older feller and dear family friend named Desi who owned the old white house right on the river between what was then Gerhearts resort, now the Riverbend and Ballards. Ballards now has some cabins on that land. We ate alot of smoked Sturgeonfish back then, old Desi just loved it. I've done a bit of launch driving over the years and I know that some folks can catch fish in the river late fall even during poor Shiner run years. Some better than others. Steve there mentions an evening where some folks apparently did well getting some big fish is all, and that he had a couple of good nites this week with the Shiners on the Winter road. He does have a rather unique location there and I've seen them Shiners thick off of his dock even in what'd be considered a poor run year. He also mentioned back on the 27th that "reports of good fishing in the river are few and far between". About the only "fish are thick in the river" reports I've seen or heard of are from the LOTW tourism folks with their last stating "River fishing is Hot Hot Hot", but then their reports are always, hmmm encouraging eh. One or two good reports ai'nt taking me away from the bite I've been having on the west end of the lake that's for sure. Heck even Clementsen resort and the Royal Dutchman are reporting spotty or slow so far all this season with only a glimmer here and there.

Whether reports are good or bad I try and make at least one river trip each fall myself anyhows just for old times sake. In my little fishbowl fishing sometimes just is'nt only about the catching eh, but I'm fairly certain I can find a few.

I have been catching shiners since 1987 the shiner run up here right now SUCKS so believe what you want . sure some people caught a few a mounth ago. but lately when you here a report of how the minnows a running like crazy and the fish are thick in the river because of it . be careful I'm a launch driver and when the wind blows and i can't fish the big lake. I dread the day ahead of me there are very few fish in the river and very few shiners. just my opion.

Oh and thanks for the advice and words of caution. I've been around the area and the web here long enough to know just who and what to believe, and I can also kind of figure what motivates people, some certainly make it all to clear and obvious. So ya I will believe what I want.

My advice to you...Don't dread that day ahead as you mention, if it comes try and make the best of it.

Peace and out.

One of my very best freinds pretty much lives on frontier the month of Oct. kust an incrediable time of the year to there, and he lake to. just because it is what it is, for a few year now the shinners havent reached up ther durring the month of Oct. but in years past we could alway seem to count on the bite to good to great with 100 fish days or more. he ccatches plenty of fish and nameley residentfish, but its not about numbrs up there for him.just fishing and freinds and a beutiful time of the year to be on the water. lifs got way to busy for me to join him as I did but I made a pact with him to start again. just because i can. no numbers game, just fishing with a freind enjoying a shoreline campfire at night and a ocassional fresh fish fry.

• 1 month later...