• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Asandir

perch

Asandir

Anyone have any luck on these yet....looking to head up next week to give it a go.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Graham Smith
      I’ve fished this lake one week a year, at the end of July, for the last 8 years.  We stay at Timber Bay Lodge and I have fished the SE part of the lake, all the way up to the Stony River. I almost solely target walleye.  I say almost because I will fish bass or northern at times for fun.  I’ve yet to target crappie on this lake and this year will be the first. I’ve caught a handful of big crappie by accident on this lake.  I’ve heard they are in there.  For walleye, I’ve typically used Lindy Rig with crawler or leech, and Jighead with a minnow. I typically tie a 3-5 ft leader, red hook, gold bead, 1/4 oz weight. If the wind and waves kick up I’ll use 1/2 ounce weight.   I’ve often used a worm harness with gold or silver spinner too.  Sometime I’ll throw crankbaits and that can the ticket. If I’m covering a flat I’ll use lindys or harnesses, if I’m hitting specific points and structures I’ll use a jighead.  I’ve had the best luck in 8ft to 14ft but every year is different.  For the record, I’ve never caught a huge walleye on this lake.  I’ve caught countless eaters.  But I’ve yet to connect with many big ones.  I know they are in there.  It seems like each year the fish are hot in June to mid July.  Since we go at the end of July, we can be in the doldrums of Summer, so perhaps this is why Ive missed many big ones.  There’s also a chance I’m targeting the wrong areas.  Who knows.  As for areas, I’ll typically target shorelines that have been hit by the wind for the day, or previous day.  If I work an area for 15-20 min with little results, move on.  I’ve experienced the fish stacking up on very specific points before too.  If a point is holding fish, don’t be afraid to drift a small area and use your motor to return to the starting point, over and over.  I’ve done this many times and limited out in an hour.  One thing I have noticed is that the walleyes don’t seem to be active in the early morning.  In fact, the best action I’ve seen has been 10am to 1pm, and 6pm to 9pm.  I’ve never fished after dark. I have fished as early as 6 am on this lake and do not connect with the walleyes.  I’m guessing it’s due to the dark water and low visibility.  I hope this has been helpful and welcome other advice.  If anyone would like to add or refute, feel free.  This has been my experience on this lake and I’m welcome to hear other tactics,  I’d also love some advice on the crappie.  Where and what time of day?  Best of luck on your trip.
    • Poutwhacker
      We're heading to the East side of Rainy, boat camping next week. Just curious if the walleyes are on the reefs and what baits are being used? Any updates would be appreciated.
    • Trump 2020
      Muskies-  Any advice on a good place to stay on Rainy? Was supposed to stay on Canadian side this week and obviously didn’t go. So now I am trying to put together a quick trip with my Dad on MN side maybe later this month instead...
    • james_walleye
      It was in about 12 feet of water I estimated. 100 feet or so I'd say off shore. I kick myself....I wanted to get the pic so bad I didn't hit a waypoint. But it would be easy to find again. 
    • Laker218
      How close to comet island was it?  If I remember the story correctly comet island was named after one of Aronsons early motor boats named “comet” hit the island and sank.  I think the story was in one of the lake vermilion history books the timberjay published about 15 years ago.
    • james_walleye
      Just off the west side of comet 
    • gimruis
      I was able to talk to my Father about his days at LOTW.  He and my Mother caught 12 walleyes in 3 days over 27 inches, plus numerous other smaller ones.  Didn't catch a single sauger.  They caught them jigging, spinner rigs, and on lead core.  Lead core seemed to catch the bigger fish as they use bigger crank baits that weed out the smaller fish.  It was calm all 5 days so they could get to and fish just about anywhere they wanted to without any difficulty.
    • mbeyer
      Vermilion is a "no brainer" when it comes to smallmouth. You'll be fine in early August. What is your favorite way ti catch bass? Start with that and work from there. One of my favorites is a white/pearl fluke...they eat those things up.  
    • jkrash
      is that out front of Mckinley park?
    • HunterFisher11
      So looking at some property on long lake right by Ottertail lake and wondering how the fishing is on it and the depths on it? Thanks for any information!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.