• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Left Eye Dominant

Mongrel Koi

Apparently I am left eye dominant. But I have always shot right handed. What's the big deal? Am I supposed to shoot left handed?? That would be too weird.

If you have no issues shooting right handed, I wouldn't change anything. I am cross eye dominate...shoot left handed (gun/bow), right handed for everything else. I initially started shooting right handed, thought it was vision problem, and discovered I was cross eye dominate. I switched when I was young, and had no troubles doing so.

While I can shoot right handed (off hand) I have to close my left eye to line up the iron sights on an old bolt action .22. Same applies to scoped rifles. Things just don't line up as easily when shouldered right handed.

If you decide to switch, many companies make popular models in left configurations, however not all models are in southpaw configuration.......

If you do decide to switch, just realize depending on the length you shot right handed, the learning curve could be frustrating....but like I said before, if it ain't broke.....don't fix it!

If you choose to keep shooting right handed, you'll need to close your left (dominant) eye, leaving you looking at your sight and target with your less than perfect eye. You'll shoot better in the long run if you switch to shooting left handed.

I discovered the same issue with myself a few years ago. I even spent time with a well renowned shooting instructor. We started off by trying to shoulder the gun to my left shoulder and it was a complete failure no matter how many times I practiced or shot I was horrible.

I then went back to shooting from the right shoulder and putting tape over my left eye on my shooting glasses and I haven't looked back since. I had a huge improvement in my shooting and now I often hunt with out anything covering my left eye because I am so used to keeping it closed.

I shoot left handed but am right eye dominate. I just close right eye or put opaque tape on right lens of shooting glasses. I tried for many years to switch but just cannot get the swing and mounting down for the shotgun right handed. I have taken deer right handed and payed for it with the dreaded scope cut on eye brow but got my deer. I would try to switch but if you can't you can't. I maintain a 22 avg in trap league and get high 30's to low 40's when i shoot sporting clay's out of 50 so closing that eye does not bother me to much. When using scope I never learned to use both eyes open so no problem. I do know when I miss a live bird its because one of 2 things lifting head off stock or both eyes open trying to identify bird. Rt eye takes over causing a miss

Mwal

I have always closed my left eye when I shoot and have never even heard of shooting with both eyes open! I thought everyone closed one eye while aiming.

My dad spotted my left eye dominance when I was six or seven. He was left eye dominant also, and right handed like me as well.

He just said, "son, put the gun on your other shoulder" and I learned to shoot that way.

I've tried to shoot right handed on occasion and I just cant do it, so I can identify on how hard it is. I shoot with both eyes open lefty, and it seems natural. When I try it right handed, I have to close the left eye or I just cannot get a sight picture.

I have read that Jase Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame switched to his dominant left eye as an adult.

Another advantage of shooting lefty is if you hunt waterfowl with a righty. when you are running out of swing, they are just getting started and vice versa.

Mr.Mongrel...if you are hitting what you aim at most of the time I would not lose a lot of sleep over it. But it probably would help you to learn to shoot with BOTH eyes open. It is not hard to learn it and get used to it.

I have watched quite a few guys struggle with the "dominant eye" thing during many years of trap and skeet shooting and most of them go to using both eyes.

Personally I might squint a bit when shooting scoped rifles but can't even recall whether I do or not, which will show you how naturally I shoot both eyes.

Do it now while you are young and you'll be fine. After all....you should not be worrying a lot about "aiming" a shotgun at flying birds anyway.

Shoot more. Have fun!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Apparently I am left eye dominant. But I have always shot right handed. What's the big deal? Am I supposed to shoot left handed?? That would be too weird.

Me too! Unless you want to become a Grand Champion Marksman. Shoot how ever it works for you! Meat in the freezer works for me! wink

I'm left eye dominant-right handed and shoot a shotgun well. My left eye naturally squints. With practice dry shooting it will come to you.

Your body adapts to all kinds of handicaps.