• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 NoDak Waterfowl Reports

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishuhalik

• TylerS

• Bryce

• CANOPY SAM

Not what I expected to encounter waking up to light snow and a winter storm warning but kept the hound busy. Quite a bit of movement but very few players. full-283-50822-2014_11_0910.48.19.jpg

Did a bit of "scouting" during deer opener (did not fill my bow tag, but that's another story). While deer season was uneventful, holy moly did I see some awesome feeds on the drive home Saturday afternoon. Geese and big ducks were hitting the fields hard. They are still out there! Saw quite a few migrating cacklers, snows, Canadas and sandhills.

Nice Bryce! Looks like great gunning weather. How'd you do?

I think if folks want to get in on some duck hunting action, this week is the week to do it. Forecast is for highs in the teens and lows below zero next week. It's gonna go quick...

Area I was in probably done already. For sure locked up by the morning. Saw the same thing you saw yesterday afternoon. One final feed before blowing out of town.

Looked up from donning the gopro and calls right at first legal to see a 30 pack landing. As a jesture of good luck, gave them a in free/out free pardon. Should have took my 2 or 3. Didn't see but a dozen birds after. One single gray then scratched down a juvie out a small confused bunch that strayed into the edge of range. Single double curl seemed a good note to end on. Extra 2+ hour drive back to the metro. full-283-50896-2014_11_1010.12.06.jpg full-283-50897-2014_11_1010.46.29.jpg full-283-50898-2014_11_1010.46.08.jpg

Anyone out there see the SE corner of the state (Hankinson-Lidgerwood area) that might still be open with any birds around Friday. We were going to go out upland and waterfowl late this week but if there is no chance to find any waterfowl we might go deer hunting.

Did a bit of "scouting" during deer opener (did not fill my bow tag, but that's another story). While deer season was uneventful, holy moly did I see some awesome feeds on the drive home Saturday afternoon. Geese and big ducks were hitting the fields hard. They are still out there! Saw quite a few migrating cacklers, snows, Canadas and sandhills.

Got a buddy that shot 127 yesterday and 169 today(snows). And 63 mallards west of Jamestown

Anyone out there see the SE corner of the state (Hankinson-Lidgerwood area) that might still be open with any birds around Friday. We were going to go out upland and waterfowl late this week but if there is no chance to find any waterfowl we might go deer hunting.

Just down there yesterday. Everything is buttoned up except for bigger water, and I didn't see much for birds on the few open spots that were available. Lots of high swan flocks, and one big feed of Canadas. Your best bet will be north of 94 and west of Valley City. But our highs next week are only in the teens and lows are below zero.

Am I just imagining this, or doesn't it seem a little early for everything to just freeze up and be done?

I've still got multiple bags of decoys, lay down blinds, and waders on the porch, just outside the front door, begging me to use them a few more times!

Everyone in the weather business was saying this winter was going to be mild, and we'd have an extended mild fall. Most recent weather reports show us at least 20 degrees below the "average" highs, and there doesn't appear to be any warm up before March!!!

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm personally pretty frustrated, and disappointed at our weather this fall. The wind took away many good days of hunting, and now the cold has set in too soon, and our waterfowl opportunities have gone up like a puff of smoke!

This was supposed to be one of the best duck migrations in recent history. I could count on one hand the number of ducks I've seen fly thru NW MN. Rant over. Now I'll go stick my head in the sand and weep like a little girl. cry

Got a buddy that shot "a whole bunch" today(snows).

Maybe your post is why we say 6 or more MN pickups with trailers on I94 today.

Today was one for the books. Tomorrow - for those going out - maybe ???

Saw one trailer backed into an approach they had their decoys, blinds, and spinners no more than 50 yards from the truck. Don't think they shot many.

Am I just imagining this, or doesn't it seem a little early for everything to just freeze up and be done?

Very cold all the way to Texas.

Agree with much of what you say, but it is tough to predict Alaska getting hit with a record Low Pressure storm. Northern states to pay the price this year. Hopefully once this system passes we will get into a warmer pattern. The pheasants and deer do not need another winter like last year.

Maybe your post is why we say 6 or more MN pickups with trailers on I94 today.

Or maybe some hunters read a weather forecast and figured last call is being served? Any reason you noticed they all had mn plates?

Any reason you noticed they all had mn plates?

Take a deep breath. Relax. I was kidding T.C. a little.

I always look at license plates on the trucks of waterfowl hunters in ND. Did not see any WI plates on the rigs I saw. ... I guess fowlers from other states are in their own seasons now or the distance traveled to risk over reward is too high.