• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rem 700 won't group

fishuhalik

This is for a buddy. Bought a new Rem 700 in 25-06 last year. I don't remember which one but it cost $1200 so it's one of the better ones. He put a Nightforce on it cuz, well, he has more money than he knows what to do with. Anyways, the best groups he can get are 8" at 50 yards. It's not his fault; he's a crack shot. The scope was professionally mounted & he's checked everything to make sure it's solid. Any ideas that he can try himself? He lives in Williston & the only gunsmith in town is months out & he wouldn't get the rifle back before deer season.

What kind of rings and bases did he use?? Although at 50 yds,,,, man, thats awful groups. Even with crappy rings and bases.

Is the scope a pile? Could he mount another scope on it and try it?

If it was professionally mounted, can he go back to that person and give the results he is having?

I bought a used 700 in 30-06 from Gander a couple years ago, and that thing is just awesome for accuracy with a Leupold VX1 on it.

That is very very odd.

Check all screws on mounts and on the rifle itself. Something does not seem right. Has he tried more than one kind of ammo? Is he using sand bags? Need more info.

Mwal

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Where and what is he using to sight in the gun? If he's at a gravel pit leaning over his truck hood? It maybe better to spend a few bucks and go to a rifle range with some good benches and rests. If he goes on a good day with a lot of "Gun nuts" there, maybe some of them mite be able to give him some ideas or even put a few rounds down it to see if it maybe just him? wink

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Time to review the ammunition being used-that is the only variable you did not mention.

When ever I have tried different brand ammo at a range. The grouping usually would change a little higher or lower but would not just start spreading out to an 8" random pattern. Something else is going on there. wink

As stated, he's checked everything for tightness. He isn't a novice at all & he's checked everything an ex-Marine would know how to check. He's tried a few different kinds of ammo with similar results. I don't know what kind of rings & base he has but everything he buys is the best of the best so I'm sure they're top dollar. He only shoots at the local range. They don't have sleds but he's been shooting off a bipod & sand bags. As stated, he's a darn good shot. I've watched him put 4" groups at 600 yards with my rifle with a similar setup (he bought his 700 in 25-06 cuz mine shoots so well) so I know it isn't him. I'm at a loss too. That rifle & scope should be shooting sub-minute groups all day long

One other thing. What really has me stumped is that there is absolutely no consistency in the groups. They're all over the paper.

I think he needs to take it in to where he bought it. We are just guessing. My guess is if everything is mounted correctly and tight, it sounds like the scope lost its gas or something is wrong with it internally.

My Rem 700 did the same thing when I got it MANY years ago, bullets where hitting the board all over the place, literally going from one corner of the target to the opposite corner. I was certain I mounted the scope right and I finally got fed up and brought it to Scheels, they went through the mounts, bore sighted it and that completely fixed it, the gun has never acted up again.

I tried different ammo and everything before I brought it in and had it fixed.

Mike

How about bullet weight grains ???? Had problem with a savage .243 started shooting lighter bullets and walla problem solved.

If the scope was mounted properly and all is fine with the rifle and he broke the barrel in properly, I would take a hard look at the ammo he is using.

I have numerous rifles and slug guns that are by far much better at tigh groups using one brand of ammo over another.

For an example, my Rem 700-7MM shoots the best groups with Hornady Ammo and my sons Rem 700-7MM shoots very well with Remington Core Lock ammo. I can put his ammo in my rifle and it does not perform near as well versus the ammo I use in mine.

My granddaughter's Browning BPS slug gun, shoots groups second to nothing else with Lightfield Hybred Exp ammo. I have used maybe up to 5 other brands of sabots and not any of the others can even come close to the grouping I get with the Lightfiled ammo. Some of the others fly everywhere other than what I am aiming at with very poor grouping worse than your friends, a change of brand of ammo and all is well.

If a change of ammo or bullet weight does not tighten the groupings up, then I would go back to the shop where you purchased it. I would also go to a good rifle range with rests to check the accuracy.

I would be willing to bet there is something wrong with the scope or the scope mounts. That is where I would spend my time looking.

A few things to look at here, obvious is to check scope bases and rings, not so obvious, stock screw torque, check the crown, does it have a brake? Just fixed one that wasn't concentric with the bore and bullets were hitting it. Check headspace, is he reloading? that's another can of worms. Is the trigger consistent? Just a few things to consider.

My Rem 700 25-06 did the same thing to me a few years ago when I had a new scope put on. I brought it back in and had them remount it the guy said the scope was loose haven't had a problem sense. We also checked everything Id start with haven it remounted and bore sighted again.

Just told him to have the scope remounted. He's bringing it in today. I'll let you guys know the verdict when he gets it back