• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I Lost my Buddy today

Bobby Bass

I lost my Buddy today

PICT1732_zps329efa2c.jpg

April 29th 2000 - October 1st 2014

Lost but never to be forgotten

Sorry about your loss, Bobby. They really are members of the family, I just wish they lived as long as other family members.

Believe me, we understand my friend and are all sharing this time with you. It really hurts but it does mellow into fond memories even years from now.

Sorry to hear that.

What a cute face.

Google the Rainbow Bridge if you don't know what it is.

I believe it! I have to, I have too many buddies waiting for me not to believe it!!!

ALMOST THIRTEEN YEARS ago to the day I lost my lab Bud. Bud was a year and half old and my son took him out bird hunting with a buddy. They lost Bud in the woods about an hours drive from home. The son came home well after dark to tell me they lost Bud and as hard as they looked they could not find him. I called into work telling my boss I was going to be late and with the youngest daughter we grabbed flashlights and drove the hour drive and under the stars we started calling out Bud's name. My daughter found Bud or I should say she found her. At the edge of a field she saw eyes reflecting in her flashlight as Bud ran across the field to jump into her arms, no doubt as happy as we were to see him as he was to see us. On the ride back home Bud laid on the seat next to me with his head leaning up against my thigh and for the next thirteen years he has never left it till this morning.

Bud was having health problem and we knew this day was coming. Early yesterday morning Bud had several seizures and it was time. As I sat up with him during the night I didn't leave his side. When morning came I called the daughter who made arrangements with the vet and a afternoon appointment was set. I spent the time outside digging a grave in the rain, my tears mixing in with the rain drops. I made several trips inside to check on Bud, he was in good hands as Duncan the young lab was at his side. The time came and the daughter and wife took Bud to the vet, I didn't go, I could not handle seeing my Bud go.

This morning I woke up to the first time in over fourteen years and did not see Bud's face in mine. I went in search of my slippers and I could not find one. I finally did under the kitchen table where the wife without thinking said that Bud probably put it there. I left the slipper where it was and put on my boots and went outside. Going to take me awhile, everywhere I look I see Bud I grow very attracted to my dogs and losing one is o so very hard. Bud was by best pal, my wing man, the one I told secrets to as he was very good at not telling anyone them. He was always there for me and as I type this I am crying like a baby and I don't care. Bud, Buddy, The Old Man and also called Budrick when he was in trouble was a good dog, a good friend.

I went back in the house and took off my boots and went looking for my other slipper that was under the kitchen table. When I got there it was gone. I asked the wife and she said she had not moved it. I went into the den with one slipper on and in search of the other. I found it, under my desk in Duncan's mouth. He has learned well from Bud...

Thanks for reading this, pet your dog or rub your cat they are never here long enough so love then hard while you can, Bobby. Thanks for your comments, they do help. I wish you could have met Bud, he would take a pat on the head from anyone.

What a nice post. Thanks for sharing, remember the good times, he is well and healthy, waiting for you at the rainbow bridge! I promise

My sympathies. A year ago last month we had to put down our 15 year old Lab, Sadie. Tough to say the least.

Godspeed Bud!

Give Duncan an extra pat on the head! Take him out for a ride in the truck this weekend... Cool sun, fall day. Don't worry, Bud will be there too!

Good Luck!

Ken

Bobby,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I very much can empathize. I too lost my best friend and had to put him (Brody 10.5 year old black lab) down 3 weeks and one day ago. I still think of him every day and probably too often. I find myself looking for him etc. I never got Brody fixed and we live in a small west metro town. He got off his leash so many times and I had to drive around town looking so many times... I think I'm almost a certified / trained dog spotter. I'm way too good at it it seems. And I think it's because of the hundreds of hours I spent looking for Brody while he was out looking for a piece of tail. Anyway, It is amazing what these animals can do to you emotionally and you never really realize it until it's too late. It sounds as if your love for your Buddy was deep and your devotion and dedication to him was similar to his for you.

I learned a great deal with the loss of my Brody. No person will ever truly know what it feels like until it happens to them. I heard from many how it's tough. I never imagined just how tough it actually is.

When the day came (9-15-14), I, along with my wife, took Brody to the clinic and spent a little time with him. When "the" time came, I knelt down, petted him, gave him a few soft hugs and light kisses to his forehead while I told him just how much he meant to me and I thanked him for who he was & held him while the meds were given and shortly after - his heart beat it's last time as his eyes stared up at me. For as long as I live, I'll never forget my best friend Brody. I feel lucky to have had him in my life. Others may come in the future, but no other will ever replace him in my heart. I chose to have him cremated so he could stay with us (his family) for all time.

Bobby, my heart goes out to you and your family for your loss. I think it's very likely that your Buddy was as lucky to have you in his life as you were to have him. Bless you and yours, and do your best to think back at all the good, rewarding, fun, and funny times. Your time with Buddy and those memories will be with you always.

That's what I'm focusing on.

Thank you Fever and every one else for the kind words. Yup Bud for me was one of a kind and it will take a long time to get over not having him around but I am hoping that I never take him for granted. Now I don't have an excuse to go through the drive through and order double cheeseburger's. Bud would always get the tops!

I know how you feel....heartbroken. Had to put my lab Gunther down almost 2 years ago. One of the hardest periods of my life.