• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turning goose shells into floaters

walleyeking19

Has anyone had any luck taking goose shells and turning them into floaters? I got a few shells that I dont use in the field much and I'd like to bulk up my floater set without dropping a few hundred bucks on new decoys.

Everywhere I've looked online said to use the sheets of insulation foam so I'm gonna try that. Anyone got any tips on what to do (or not do). Or if they actually hold up? Gonna only do a couple to start to see if it's really worth my time.

I have the GHG shells with those spring stakes and what I do is have a piece of black condoit, cut into a wedge on one side to shove into the mud, then place the spring stake in the condoit then place your decoy on top. You have to figure out what heights to cut your condoit and the down fall is to find that right depth for what you but it, But besides that it works great!

The Isulation sheets do work. I bought a Floating MOJO mallard when the spinning wings were first coming out and thats what they sent me. A mallard shell with foam cut out the shape of the bottom of the deek. I've never had an issue with it.

i use foam pipe insulation, form the cut end around the shell, cable zip tie it to the shell (drill 3 holes around the whole decoy to cable tie it) for the weights some of the shells heads have a ring you can tie your weights to it already otherwise i use a i-bolt

You would be better off selling the shells and using the proceeds to buy a few new floaters. Even if you are a Bob Vila/Fred Zink cross, whatever you do to the shells to make them floaters will leave you with a far inferior product to true floaters.