• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dad's try this

leechlake

Last night after listening for 5 days about this Adrian Peterson situation I pulled out some photos of my son and daughter when they were around 4 years old. They are now both teenagers. I looked at the photos and could not grasp doing to them what Peterson did to his son. Although most photos were of them smiling and happy I tried to think of those times when they were young where I was frustrated, tired, angry and they were acting less than angelic. I then thought of my reactions I probably did; yelled at them, put them in timeout, made them say sorry when the timeout was over. I looked at the photos again and nearly started blubbering thinking of what a monster I'd be if I did the things he did. Heck, it kind of bugged me I yelled at them and I'm not a real softy father when it comes to discipline.

Most people from this area would all say the same thing, most people from down south would say other wise. It's different cultures and ways of life, there are states that allow capitol punishment and believe kids need whoopings to get your point across.

I have a 3 1/2 yr old right now and all I have to do is raise my voice and change my tone, maybe throw in an evil eye to get my point across.

And Mormons grow up thinking its ok to have several young wives and cannibals grow up thinking its ok to kill people and eat them so these behaviors are ok too then. smirk

Most people from this area would all say the same thing, most people from down south would say other wise. It's different cultures and ways of life, there are states that allow capitol punishment and believe kids need whoopings to get your point across.

I have a 3 1/2 yr old right now and all I have to do is raise my voice and change my tone, maybe throw in an evil eye to get my point across.

I totally agree, if one is raised getting spanked and hard, then that is what you know, not saying it is correct to do but it happens and unless we have walked in AP's shoe's, we do not know exactly what he was thinking at that time.

When my Father was upset, he spanked us and pretty hard. I look back now and realize I had it coming and he got his point across, right or wrong.

I never spanked our son, we just had some long talks and it worked but my Father was raised differently and spanking was what they did back then so, that's what he knew and how he decided to handle discipline issues.

I do not condone what AP did but I do understand why he did what he did, just took it a bit too far.

And Mormons grow up thinking its ok to have several young wives and cannibals grow up thinking its ok to kill people and eat them so these behaviors are ok too then. smirk

Exaggerate much?

In India they believe in gang rape and stoning wives to death for cheating so that must be ok too then. crazy

To spank your kid is one thing...to spank your kid with a stick is another...to spank your kid with a stick to the point of bleeding and to do it with multiple smacks is plain losing it!!! When one loses it they usually have to deal with the consequences and I believe Adrian will have to deal with his punishment! I do think he should be suspended for 4-8 games and I think he should have those game checks donated to a child abuse awareness group and then I think he should go through counseling to realize his mistakes. Jail time doesn't do much in this case but he should take his "whippin" and deal with the consequences for his actions!

Last night after listening for 5 days about this Adrian Peterson situation I pulled out some photos of my son and daughter when they were around 4 years old. They are now both teenagers. I looked at the photos and could not grasp doing to them what Peterson did to his son. Although most photos were of them smiling and happy I tried to think of those times when they were young where I was frustrated, tired, angry and they were acting less than angelic. I then thought of my reactions I probably did; yelled at them, put them in timeout, made them say sorry when the timeout was over. I looked at the photos again and nearly started blubbering thinking of what a monster I'd be if I did the things he did. Heck, it kind of bugged me I yelled at them and I'm not a real softy father when it comes to discipline.

I don't have to pull out photos... my kids are 7 and 4. I have lost my cool and yelled, yanked their arm on the way to time out, etc. There is not a reason to go to the level that he did. What I am having a major problem with, is trying to tell the 7 year old that I have been telling the last 4 years that he could understand, that the great player we have been cheering for cannot play because he is a terrible person.

I can see the wheels turning in his head, and it is confusing him....

Exaggerate much?

In India they believe in gang rape and stoning wives to death for cheating so that must be ok too then. crazy

I see you are having trouble grasping my point. Let me put it like this: Peterson explaining that he thinks what he did is ok because it happened to him is not a valid excuse. He even goes so far as trying to make people believe that the beatings he got are what made him such a great football player. I guess he is just trying to create more great football players then, a whole boatload of them. Thanks Adrian! smirksmirk

I have tried to imagine beating my kids with a switch/whip at 4 yrs old(or any age for that matter) and just can't do it. The thought of beating a kid like that just makes no sense. I want my kids to love and trust me, not fear me. How can you love and trust someone who whips you bloody?

Why do you have to say he is a terrible person? Why can't you explain to him that he lost his cool and made some poor decisions and is going to have deal with his consequences of his actions. We are all human and make mistakes but I don't think he intended to hurt the kid(s) but obviously he went too far but I don't think you need to start saying he is a terrible person to your kid

People up here need to stop saying that it's different in the South. Child abuse is child abuse no matter where it takes place and should not be tolerated and I hope Peterson gets a felony from this.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Why do you have to say he is a terrible person? Why can't you explain to him that he lost his cool and made some poor decisions and is going to have deal with his consequences of his actions. We are all human and make mistakes but I don't think he intended to hurt the kid(s) but obviously he went too far but I don't think you need to start saying he is a terrible person to your kid

+1

Didn't mean to hurt the kids? With what the photos showed of just one leg, the kid had to be screaming in agony and what you figure he just closed his eyes when he started whipping him with a switch and never seen the blood? Do you really believe that? There bloody welts all over that kid.

I exaggerate "terrible person". The point is, I have to break him down slowly as he was somewhat idolized. Now, he starts saying he wants a Cordaralle Patterson shirt. I told him no more player jerseys.

It is a teachable moment, I get what you are saying. But this one hits a bit closer to home. Again, I won't be watching them on Sunday if he is in there unless this gets resolved. We can watch his other "favorite team".

Like most of you I can't imagine ever hitting my daughter no matter how mad or frustrated I might get.

When it comes to AP he screwed up plain and simple. He might have been doing what he was taught as a child but that doesn't make it right nor excusable. At some point the cycle of violence needs to stop.

As for what should happen to AP I don't think they should cut him nor should the NFL ban him. The number one concern in this situation is the well being of the child and making sure that this never happens again. While AP is still a member of the Vikings and the NFL they have more control over AP and can do more to ensure that AP doesn't repeat these actions. They can mandate parental education, counseling, possibly anger management if that plays a part, etc. If they simply cut him or ban him they have no more control to help him change and he goes back home with the same mind set and likely will be beating his kids for years to come. The punishment alone wont prevent this in the future.

I think he still needs to serve some sort of lengthy suspension, probably in the neighborhood of 6 games based on the new domestic violence protocol. However, I think the more important part is to keep him in the NFL and mandate various other education and counseling to help him learn nonviolent parenting techniques.

I think the same type of solution could be applied to the Ray Rice situation. Do you think cutting him really teaches him that hitting women out of anger is wrong? Next time he gets angry he's not going to think back to being cut and then decide not to hit his wife. A ban does nothing more than protect the image of the NFL, it doesn't do anything to teach the player right and wrong nor does it prevent future abuse. However, if you help educate him and counsel him, and help him learn to find better ways to control his anger then perhaps a real difference can be made.

People up here need to stop saying that it's different in the South. Child abuse is child abuse no matter where it takes place and should not be tolerated and I hope Peterson gets a felony from this.

I'm pretty in line with this up to the felony. Not sure if it's considered a felony in TX like it would be here in MN.

I could never imagine doing what he did to any child, much less my own child. I've spanked but it's one or two good whacks. You don't need to beat the snot out of them. On top of that stuffing leaves in his mouth. Unreal.

As for what should happen to AP I don't think they should cut him nor should the NFL ban him. The number one concern in this situation is the well being of the child and making sure that this never happens again. While AP is still a member of the Vikings and the NFL they have more control over AP and can do more to ensure that AP doesn't repeat these actions. They can mandate parental education, counseling, possibly anger management if that plays a part, etc. If they simply cut him or ban him they have no more control to help him change and he goes back home with the same mind set and likely will be beating his kids for years to come. The punishment alone wont prevent this in the future.

I think he still needs to serve some sort of lengthy suspension, probably in the neighborhood of 6 games based on the new domestic violence protocol. However, I think the more important part is to keep him in the NFL and mandate various other education and counseling to help him learn nonviolent parenting techniques.

I think this is one of the best responses I've seen so far. If the Vikes or NFL ban him, they've lost an opportunity to help be any part of a solution to AP's problem or the larger issue of child abuse. Make him get counseling and then have him share his experience and what he's learned about disciplining children. It sounds like there are many regions of the country where this type of discipline is still considered the norm, and AP could be a positive influence in changing that, along with improving his own issues.

Didn't mean to hurt the kids? With what the photos showed of just one leg, the kid had to be screaming in agony and what you figure he just closed his eyes when he started whipping him with a switch and never seen the blood? Do you really believe that? There bloody welts all over that kid.

A good place to start would be Texas schools then, they still allow corporal punishment in their school systems. Little different then up here eh?

I could never imagine doing what he did to any child, much less my own child. I've spanked but it's one or two good whacks. You don't need to beat the snot out of them. On top of that stuffing leaves in his mouth. Unreal.

I don't get the stuffing leaves in his mouth either. Is that to humiliate and demoralize the kid even further?

My dad used to wack us with those wooden spoons. We would hear the drawer open and slam shut in the kitchen and try to hide. Me and my brothers would always hope he would break the spoon off on someone else's a$$ before he got to you. Usually he would just get pi$$ed off that the spoon broke and give up unless we did something real bad then he would go get another one. It hurt like heck at the time but now we look back and laugh about it. Always had respect for my dad though and he never went too far.