• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
ikatcher

Al Linders comments on Pic of S.M. Bass

Stick in Mud

Killing Smallmouth bass will do nothing to help the situation.

And whining like a ***** on an internet forum will? I like catching bass as much as the rest of us, but get over yourself.

CaptainMusky

Pretty much every major walleye lake in the state has had a major downswing in walleye production. Red lake during the crappie boom, Leech lake during the infamous "cormorant shootings" and now Mille Lacs. What we don't need is the unfounded finger pointing at culprits that have nothing to do with the walleye decline. The DNR pretty much declared war on smallmouth and northern pike with the new regs this season.
Though I agree with the statement in principle, the events that lead to each are quite different. The Crappie Boom isnt what caused the Red Lake Collapse, the crappie boom was able to happen BECAUSE of the walleye collapse.

Until something is done about the age structure of the walleyes in Mille Lacs this problem will persist for a while. Nature will run its course because those fish will not survive for much longer and the younger fish are not recruiting well so it will get worse before it gets better, but in 5 years it will probably be phenomenal.

Juan Grande

Yeah, I just mentioned the crappie boom to mark that point in time, I know it was a result of and not the cause of the walleye decline.

I agree that nature just needs to run its course before things will turn around on Mille Lacs. I don't agree with the DNR's tactics to expedite this process, however.

CaptainMusky

Agreed.

river rat316

And whining like a ***** on an internet forum will? I like catching bass as much as the rest of us, but get over yourself.

Maybe us bass fisherman are a little more [PoorWordUsage] because we feel like we helped "build" that lake into what it was, I personally take pride in releasing large fish of all species, but you walleye guys are a different breed, if it has fins and swims your all about killing and raping the lake until there is no more left. I could go on for hours about this, but I will be the bigger man and not resort to name calling or whatever, next time you want to call someone a little dam try doing it to there face and see where that gets ya, big guy

Juan Grande

Yep, there's just a different mentality between most walleye and bass fishermen. I was bass fishing a local lake this past weekend and caught a nice 24" walleye on a crankbait. Took a quick pic and put her back. Then proceeded to get ripped by a half dozen fishermen at our camper park because I didn't filet it.

Based on some of the conversations in the URL forum, the meat hunt has moved onto Red Lake.

eyeguy 54

sheesh, I like catching bass and eyes. I must be crazy lol

pushbutton

Whoa....fisticuffs over fish...lmao. Speaking of the meat hunt. Think a great idea, albiet not practical, would be to declare about a dozen "meat lakes" and stock them plump full of crappies and walleyes. Then not allow any harvest for 7 years. Then turn people loose on them for two. Rinse and repeat moving from lake to lake. Build it and they will come.....

As far as Mille Lacs....what a mess. The new smallie regs do not bother me much; despite this picture, still do not see that many bass leaving this lake from the average joe blow.. If the resorts are targeting the big ones......that would be rather short sighted, certainly not surprising given their history though. For sure they should at least encourage the harvest of smaller bass and leave the potential trophies. As for the walleyes, looks like they will be back again in a few more years......probably in smaller numbers....but ready to be netted and fished out again *facepalm*

RumRiverRat

The wheels are turning......

RiverChuckNorris

I personally take pride in releasing large fish of all species, but you walleye guys are a different breed, if it has fins and swims your all about killing and raping the lake until there is no more left. I could go on for hours about this, but I will be the bigger man and not resort to name calling or whatever, next time you want to call someone a little bich try doing it to there face and see where that gets ya, big guy

“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”

- Benjamin Franklin

I'm just sayin RR316....

Getanet

There is another picture on here HSO of the same group, which isn't cropped and has 11 people in it.

Personally, I don't think the launches are targeting small mouths because they think they eat all the walleye. Rather, they are targeting smallies because their customers can actually catch and keep a few for a fish fry. Sounds like that's nearly impossible to do with walleyes right now.

I appreciate the passion bass fisherman have, but really scratch my head at how nasty some of them can turn on others who are are squarely playing within the rules and regs.

Stick in Mud

Maybe us bass fisherman are a little more [PoorWordUsage] because we feel like we helped "build" that lake into what it was, I personally take pride in releasing large fish of all species, but you walleye guys are a different breed, if it has fins and swims your all about killing and raping the lake until there is no more left. I could go on for hours about this, but I will be the bigger man and not resort to name calling or whatever, next time you want to call someone a little dam try doing it to there face and see where that gets ya, big guy

Laughable. You're definitely right to point out that the C&R ethic is much, much more advanced among bass fishermen than it is among walleye fishermen...no doubt about that. And you're right to say that C&R is one reason--maybe the primary reason--why bass fishing is so consistently good...and getting better. And you're right to say that walleye guys could learn a thing or two. And I agree that the increase in allowable harvest of smallmouth is dumb and useless to fix the problem; they didn't cause it, and harvesting them ain't going to fix it. No argument there. We agree on much.

But that wasn't my point. I think it's childish to whine on a public forum about a few fishermen keeping a few fish. You apparently think your particular moral code (catch and release all big fish, all the time, everywhere), which I actually share and practice 99% of the time, should apply to everyone. I don't think that. But keep whining away every time someone keeps a fish that you think they shouldn't keep. And I'm assuming, instead of complaining on a public forum, you and RRR have the stones to confront every person you see keep a bass?

river rat316

If they are over there limit or breaking a slot you bet your one-just-like-silly-me I do, sorry I don't sit on my hands and only "whine" about it on the internet.

RumRiverRat

There is a member of this forum that I no longer will fish with because he does not handle fish properly.

If I see someone drag a bass up on the bank in December, January and February in Monticello I make it a point to explain to them the damage they are doing to that fish.

People need to be called out for their behavior.

I call them out and then educate them.

Sometimes you cannot fix stupid.

Stick in Mud

If they are over there limit or breaking a slot you bet your one-just-like-silly-me I do, sorry I don't sit on my hands and only "whine" about it on the internet.

We're on the same page, then. My complaint was definitely NOT about you complaining about breaking slots or keeping illegal numbers of fish. I'm not sure how you read my previous post to mean that, but if you did, I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Stick in Mud

There is a member of this forum that I no longer will fish with because he does not handle fish properly.

If I see someone drag a bass up on the bank in December, January and February in Monticello I make it a point to explain to them the damage they are doing to that fish.

People need to be called out for their behavior.

I call them out and then educate them.

Sometimes you cannot fix stupid.

You're referring to me, then?

Stick in Mud

All y'all tough guys disappear?

RumRiverRat

Been too busy catching and releasing 5 pound Smallmouth on Mille Lacs.

Getanet

Why, aren't those the best eatin?

Stick in Mud

Been too busy catching and releasing 5 pound Smallmouth on Mille Lacs.

Nice. 'Tis the season for the big girls.

tolle141

Maybe they should just subsidize walleye fillets at cub foods for anglers who purchase a walleye stamp.