• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1lb Propane Bottle Warmer - Bad Idea?

gonehunting

This may sound like a far fetched idea but in the past I have made several trips to Lake Winnipeg and LOW where we have had troubles with 1lb propane bottles freezing. I'm talking -20 to -30 below F. I know it is better to bring a larger tank but like the portability of the 1lb tanks. What I was wondering is if there would be anyway to build a tank warmer using a 12 volt vexilar battery for a power source and maybe making some type of mini electric blanket or wrap that would warm the bottles during the snowmobile trip. It could all be self-contained in a cooler that you could place inside the portable fishhouse. They make 12 volt heated pads on hsolist for things like handlebar warmers for snowmobiles and motorcycles. Would a vexilar battery be big enough? Am I playing with fire wrapping an electric source around a propane bottle? The other thought is to make some type of neoprene can coozey that you could place handwarmmers between the coozey and the 1lb bottle. Ok, maybe I have too much time on my hands.

If you are just looking for a way to keep them warm for the snowmobile trip out you can put the 1 lb. bottles in an insulated lunchbox with some freezer packs that have been microwaved or boiled in water to get hot. They will keep the bottles warm for quite a while. No need to over complicate things.

I'd stick with highlife's plan, or use those little peel and stick hand warmers. 1 pounders have really cheap valves that are prone to leaking, so I would personally shy away from any type of ignition source.

I haven't had issues on LOW at -20F, but my equipment stays in a heated shop (40F) then it is usually 35-45 minutes until the Big Buddy gets rolling with 1 pounders. So my recommendation is similar to above, keep the tanks indoors and be the last thing to load into your sled before hitting the lake. Personally I bring a Big Buddy and a Sunflower then one 20 pounder plus four 1 pounders...especially at those temps. I never leave home without a backup heating plan.

You have plenty of heat available in the engine compartment of your snowmobile while you are running. Just find a way to secure the bottles in a safe spot in the vicinity of the muffler.

I wouldn't put a used one in that has been opened, and you probably wouldn't even have to ride with it. Just do a little experimenting with how long it takes to bring the bottle temp up with a hot machine you have shut down. You only need one warm bottle warmed up to get the heater going, after that you can warm others in the shelter, hanging them overhead where most of your heat is. I would use and infrared thermometer to check the bottle temp if you are concerned with overheating. I carry one of these for a number of purposes: to check my trailer wheel hubs for overheated bearings, temp of the oil on the fish fryer, etc.

You're correct. I just need one warm bottle. After that I usually hang one from the portable supports to warm it up. The snowmobile trick is a great idea in an emergency though.

I have used a neoprene sleeve with a hand warmer in it and it works great.

What do u store them in? I am working on same thing but for batteries....

I have used anything from a 6 gallon pail with lid to a soft sided cooler. That seemed to work the best and you can toss in as many heater packs as you like. I don't do this often, only when I know I will be traveling a good distance in COLD weather.