• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gopher Football 2014

SkunkedAgain

How does the rose bowl work this year? It's a semi final playoff game, correct? What if Michigan State wins the big ten, but isn't selected by the committee to make the playoffs? Does that mean they don't get to go to the rose bowl?

Gophers are ranked 30th now smile

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• JBMasterAngler

• SkunkedAgain

Need to get the Purdue game today, then get a win next week at Illinois. I have this feeling that we could be in trouble in one of these games, I hope I'm wrong. The D and special teams have really stepped up, hope the offense can do their part.

Go Gophers! That was a fun game to watch. Defense gave up some points but the offense just kept rolling.

1 pass completion. Against San Jose State.

Does anyone still think this Jerry Kill program is still moving forward?

I think many people think so.

How many Big 10 wins are you predicting? 3 or 4 depending if they don't get any more injuries. Brown jug coming back this week.

well they have 3 so far with what 5 remaining. Got the jug now let's get some more hardware.

I thought this game was over at halftime. Lots of blown calls in the first half that affected the gophers.

Impressive game today. Pursue has been putting up points on some good teams including MSU.

Fun game to watch today I thought it would be close the way Purdue played Michigan State, thought the 14 point pregame line was high.

Hopefully Northwestern can upset Nebraska tonight. If we can get out of Illinois with a win which should happen it could still get interesting down the line. Ohio State is the only remaining game where we don't at least have a shot, Iowa at home should be a tossup.

They made plenty of mistakes today but still found a way to win where in the past we seemed to always find a way to lose the close ones.

I watched the second half. Really fun game. Fun to see them throwing the ball down the field a little bit. It would have been intersting if purdue would have let the gophers score at the end so they could get the ball back with a chance to tie....

I wish I would have been in the stands for this one. Not our best execution on D or special teams, but a great win. 51,000+ fans in the stands with that ending, wow. It should be a wake up call for the team so we don't take Illinois too lightly, they have scholarship players also. It should be a wake up call to the fans too, watch the Goph's first Vikes second. And I'm betting Kill has seen that "let em score" deal before, so would our runner have taken a knee after getting a first down to run out the clock at the end? High school teams have been in that situation!!

Very fun game to watch, but I prefer those types of games when the gophers are NOT playing in them! Aside from the opening pick 6, every time Purdue would turn it over, the gophers seemed to shoot themselves in the foot with questionable play calls. Glad to see they pulled if off though, and see Kill get that halftime deficit monkey off his back. I said in an earlier post that Ohio State was no juggernaut, but they are getting better and better each week. Hopefully Michigan State knocks them down a couple pegs before they come here. Was also nice to see college football final giving some love to David Cobb at the end of the show.

David Cobb is sure a pleasant surprise that is for sure. He came from off the radar last year and is having quite a good career so far. Very impressed with him.

Leidner is looking a bit better in the passing game, but that will need to improve significantly down the stretch. Sure was fun to watch, but admitedly I didnt think they would pull it out.

You'd swear Leidner had money on Illinois....pathetic passing and also making the wrong decision on option; constantly giving ball when should have been keeping and keeping when should have been giving IMO.

As a Gopher football fan you are always waiting for the ugly loss that shouldn't happen and we got it today. Leidner drives me nuts, he makes some good throws only to make some horrible ones to wide open receivers. In his defense he is only a sophomore in his first year as the full time starter hopefully the coaches can get his footwork problems fixed so he doesn't have so many balls sail on him.

The defense decided not to show up in the first half for the second week in a row for whatever reason, the offense was just as ugly. Its going to be impossible to get another win with their remaining schedule if they play less than their very best down the line, even if they do on paper Iowa at home looks to be the best chance of getting another win. Frustrating day!!

That was an ugly hiccup.

Didnt watch the game, but from what I was told it is typical MN football. They will be lucky to win two more games this year.

Bad loss for sure.

Iowa game is a big one. Win and maybe squeak out 8-4, 9-3. Lose, likely finish 6-6.

Still like the direction program is going. Jerry kill name starting to come up as candidate for other coaching positions. New this would happen. Says he's staying put though.

Didnt watch the game, but from what I was told it is typical MN football. They will be lucky to win two more games this year.

That would have been the case even if they had won today.

Bad loss for sure.

Iowa game is a big one. Win and maybe squeak out 8-4, 9-3. Lose, likely finish 6-6.

Still like the direction program is going. Jerry kill name starting to come up as candidate for other coaching positions. New this would happen. Says he's staying put though.

A capable passer and they would be a pretty good team.

When you give up 14 early points and a "scoop six" toward the end, it's tough to win. We all know we are a run first team and that didn't happen except for the one long run. QB play was well below Big Ten standards, they outplayed us on the line, were much more creative on both sides of the ball. A disappointing loss that's for sure. I'm just hoping we can beat Iowa and get a few lucky breaks against either the Cornhuskers or the Badgers. Ohio State game could be ugly. But I agree, we are making progress, just need to improve our recruiting at the skill positions.

Out-coached in the first quarter. Good comeback, but missed field goal and fumble were tough.

Kill is a good coach and he knows how to make players better. The Washburn running back that can't participate this year will help change the program next year. I hope they can play their best and get two more wins.

A capable passer and they would be a pretty good team.

Yup. QB lost this game. Missed open receivers on several attempts and a couple would have been td's. Defense could have played much better too.

1 pass completion. Against San Jose State.

Does anyone still think this Jerry Kill program is still moving forward?

Still an improving program. I believe they will continue to keep improving.

I was not surprised by this loss.

Not making excuses because this is a bad loss. But it was their homecoming and they had a bye the week before. The defense is starting to concern me and Leidner is still a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
Gophers football: A brief history of disappointment

By Marcus R. Fuller

It was Minnesota's first Big Ten loss of the season Saturday at Illinois, but because of what was on the line, it hit harder than most.

In what we'll call the Gophers' rebuilding era, there have been more than a few of those.

When the Gophers (6-2, 3-1) arrived in Champaign, Ill., on Saturday they had a chance to retain sole possession of first place in the Big Ten's West Division and improve to 4-0 in the conference for the first time since 1967 -- the last time they shared a piece of the league crown.

Instead, they came out flat, fell behind 14-0 and, after rallying, fumbled away the lead. For Gophers fans waiting for their team to rejoin the ranks of the nation's best programs, it was another gut punch.

Minnesota's Rose Bowl drought of 52 years is the longest in the Big Ten. Not coincidentally, the early 1960s were the last time they also were in serious national title discussions.

It was one thing to lose to North Dakota State or South Dakota when the program was down. Or even get demolished 55-0 by Iowa or 58-0 by Michigan when the season already was in a tailspin. But the Gophers were hoping this finally could be the season for a championship run. It still could be, but last Saturday caused some serious doubts.

Now the Gophers have a bye week to stew over another lost opportunity, off until their Nov. 8 game against Iowa at TCF Bank Stadium.

To refresh your memory -- sorry -- we have compiled the most deflating Gopher losses in the past 15 years.

Advertisement

Drumroll, please ...

Nov. 1, 2008 -- Tim Brewster took Minnesota from a 1-11 record to a 7-1 start and No. 20 in the polls in his second season as coach.

With home games against three unranked opponents among the Gophers' final four games -- Northwestern, Michigan and Iowa -- Brewster had roses in his eyes. But the Gophers lost to the Wildcats when Adam Weber threw a pick-six with 12 seconds remaining, and Minnesota went on to lose its next five games, including a bowl loss and a 55-0 drubbing by Iowa in the Gophers' final game at the Metrodome.

Dec. 29, 2006 -- This one was so bad, it convinced athletic director Joel Maturi to fire coach Glen Mason less than a year after signing him to an extension. The Gophers beat Indiana, Michigan State and Iowa in consecutive games to become bowl eligible, then took a 38-7 lead on the Red Raiders with less than eight minutes remaining in the third quarter of the Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz. Tech then scored 31 unanswered points, the biggest comeback in Division I-A bowl history, and won on an overtime field goal.

Oct. 9, 2004 -- The 5-0 Gophers were ranked No. 13 in the AP poll after starting the conference schedule with two victories when they traveled to Ann Arbor to meet 14th-ranked Michigan. Minnesota took a 24-17 fourth-quarter lead in front of 111,528 fans only to fall when Chad Henne threw a 31-yard touchdown pass with 1:57 left. The following week, Minnesota lost 51-17 to unranked Michigan State in East Lansing.

Oct. 15, 2005 -- Confidence was high for the 5-1 Gophers after beating Michigan for the first time since 1986 -- in Ann Arbor, no less -- and avenging 2004's disappointing loss. Heisman Trophy candidate Laurence Maroney rushed for 258 yards, and the Gophers were beating their archrival 34-24 with 3:27 left in the fourth quarter. But the Badgers scored two touchdowns in less than two minutes to win, including the winner on a blocked punt in the end zone with 30 seconds left, shocking the second-largest crowd (65,089) in Metrodome history.

Oct. 10, 2003 -- Mason admitted last year, a decade later, that if not for the blown 21-point lead in the fourth quarter against Michigan that his program "might not only have ended up in a Jan. 1 bowl game, you might have ended up in the big one. The Rose Bowl."

Minnesota was 6-0, ranked 13th in the country and a contender to win its first Big Ten title since 1967. The Wolverines were 4-2, still a national power, and ranked 19th. It was the 100th anniversary of the Little Brown Jug. The Metrodome was sold out for undoubtedly the biggest game in recent Gophers history, being nationally televised on a Friday night.

Minnesota led 14-0 at halftime, 28-7 after three quarters and 35-21 in the fourth. But Michigan scored 31 fourth-quarter points, six on an interception return, to win.

The Gophers won 10 games that season, including a last-second victory over Oregon in the Sun Bowl. But ask 100 Gophers fans about 2003, and it's the Michigan game they'll mention first.

Follow Marcus Fuller at twitter.com/GophersNow.

DISHONORABLE MENTION

Illinois 28, Gophers 24, Oct. 25, 2014 -- See above.

Iowa 31, Gophers 13, Sept. 29, 2012 -- Jerry Kill's second season started strong, with a 4-0 record in nonconference games, but Iowa showed the Gophers they weren't ready for the Big Ten by dominating them physically in Iowa City. Minnesota fell behind 24-0 at halftime. It was a harbinger of what was to come in conference play (the Gophers started 0-3).

Oregon 24, Gophers 20, Dec. 31, 1999 -- The Gophers were ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and had won three straight to end the regular season, a streak that included victories at No. 2 Penn State and Iowa. But they lost this Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.

Toledo 38, Gophers 7. Aug. 30, 2001 -- The Gophers were coming off back-to-back bowl appearances for the first time since 1985-86 and their first victory over Ohio State since 1981. But the 2001 season started with a blowout loss to Toledo and bottomed out at 1-4 before the Gophers managed to finish 4-7.

Ohio State 34, Gophers 3, Nov. 2, 2002 -- Minnesota was 7-1 and ranked No. 23 before reality hit hard in Columbus.

-- Marcus R. Fuller

I'll be in the deer stand during the game so will not get to watch it on TV. The Gophers will have their hands full with the running game of Iowa, the D better show up from the get go. Offensively we will need to establish the run and then take some shots down field. Hopefully having two weeks to prep will help us this time. Big game for both squads, my heart see's it 31-24 for the Gophers but my head says Iowa by two TD's. I hope I'm wrong.