• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you think about Bass Boats

Bushwacker

Question

I have an opportunity to buy a '93 Nitro 17 footer, Rick Clunn edition. It has a 1993 115 Johnson on it. I now have a 1992 Alumacraft Competitor 17 ft/ with a 1992 60hp Johnson. My Competitor works great for larger lakes like Mille Lacs and it is set up pretty nice for a multi-species boat. If I buy the Nitro and sell my boat it would cost me literally nothing. My question is, what is your opinion of bass boats. To me it seems like they would be great for bass, muskie, northern, and panfish. I do about 50% of my fishing for walleye, though. Usually myself and one other in the boat. Will a bass boat handle a lake like Mille Lacs? I am just looking for any opinions that I can get. I have fished out of probably 30+ boats in my life, but not one single bass boat. What do you guys think I should do?

6 answers to this question

Keep your Alumacraft... pretty tought to handle Mil Lacs 3ft rollers in a bassboat.

Just a thought from a bias die hard walleye fisherman.

SUNNYD

I wouldn't do it! Saw a big bass boat on Mille Lacs get a big wave get washed in the rear of the boat and it went down!
Well not totally down, but with only the front end was sticking up.
Bass boats can handle big waves when moving forward and getting to those bass holding quiet bays out of the wind.
But for drift fishing for walleyes forget it!
There too low in the water to handle the giant swells Mille Lacs can put out!
Bass boats are made for bass fishing, walleye boats are made for walleyes in my opinion. Don't put yourself in danger!

At least not a 17ft for big water. I had a 20ft Ranger and that was ok for the big water. I would not go with anything less. The key is more freeboard, the better.

i would stay with your old boat also. i had had a ranger bass boat(18') for six years and loved it for fishing out of, but they are not the best rough water boats unless you get into the bigger ones and then you have to be carefull. they can take water over the back real easily.( have had this happen several times while loading and unloading!) i just sold mine and went to a fisherman series, but i did this not due to the rough water, so much since i don't fish any big water.but should fit into my plans a little better than the bass boat. del

I picked up a bass boat from this site this winter. It is my first "bigger" boat. I have had it out a few times and it handles prety well. Nothing in high seas yet and I would not go out most of the time anyway if the waves are too big. I see the advantages of having a bigger boat but would also like to have it a bit deeper too. I fish multi species and rarely get to Mille Lacs. For me right now it was a good choice to keep my 14' aluminum and add this to the arsenal.
If you are out in the big chop, as stated, going forward is fine and kind of fun once you know how to handle the boat. Getting swamped from behind is nothing to joke about if you are out in the middle of the lake.

interesting choice for you. better assess how you fish and in what conditions. I will fish in the rain and bad weather but am not really wanting to put the wife through the high rollers in the bass boat.

I have quite a few friends who fish competively in the midwest. They all have bass boats (Skeeter, Nitro, Ranger Ect.) I can take my 16 foot lund anywhere they go. Maybe not as fast but what is the hurry. I think you should go with something that is versital?!?!?

Tad

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.