• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Remington 700 trigger settlement

Remington will replace triggers

The gun manufacturer Remington Arms Co. will replace trigger mechanisms on Model 700 bolt-action hunting rifles, or provide economic relief for purchasers, as part of a settlement of class-action lawsuits.

Remington announced the agreement Thursday.

Suits filed in Missouri and Washington state claimed the rifle has a defective trigger mechanism that can cause injury and death. They are among several suits filed against the gun maker over the years. Remington has sold more than 5 million of the rifles since 1948.

Remington Arms says in a statement that it agreed to the settlements even though the company denies the plaintiffs’ allegations of economic loss. The company declined further comment and did not provide details of how the trigger mechanisms will be replaced.

Remington will replace triggers

The gun manufacturer Remington Arms Co. will replace trigger mechanisms on Model 700 bolt-action hunting rifles, or provide economic relief for purchasers, as part of a settlement of class-action lawsuits.

Remington announced the agreement Thursday.

Suits filed in Missouri and Washington state claimed the rifle has a defective trigger mechanism that can cause injury and death. They are among several suits filed against the gun maker over the years. Remington has sold more than 5 million of the rifles since 1948.

Remington Arms says in a statement that it agreed to the settlements even though the company denies the plaintiffs’ allegations of economic loss. The company declined further comment and did not provide details of how the trigger mechanisms will be replaced.

Is this for the guns with the x mark pro triggers as well as the model 7's from earlier in the year? I sent minr in a long time ago but have not gotten it back.

I would personally install a aftermarket trigger such as a timmney and never worry about it again . A lot of people are sending guns back and I don't think the repairs will be done in a timely fasion. We are getting a lot if calls for remington trigger recall work and telling customers that they must send gun to remington doesn't always go over so well.

Yeah, had I known it would take two months or so to get it done I probably would have done that. I see where lots of people sending them in about the same time as me in May got theirs back in June and here we are nearly mid way through July and I still haven't heard a thing from them since I got the delivery confirmation. I can say this will be the last Remington I will ever buy.

. I can say this will be the last Remington I will ever buy.

Well I don't think I would ever go that far remington is still one the better guns that you an still purchase and they do make a few great AR , s too besides they just purchased DPMS

Love my 700 rifles, have 5 of them and they all shoot and perform very well. My triggers will stay in the rifles. If I were to have them changed out, it would be to a private gunsmith and a better trigger like Timmney as Gordie suggested.

If I were to send it in, it would be long before the hunting season to make sure I had it back in time as I am sure with the amount of rifles they sell, it could take a month or better in a bit. Guess that depends on how many send their rifles in to be repaired.

If we look at all the forced recalls over the years, seems all car mfg has had them and they either repair them or they are forced to repair them. NO different here with Remington. Who knows, another gun mfg could be next.

If one feels safer with a new Remington trigger or a aftermarket trigger, than I would have it replaced for your comfort.

Good point Harvey lee , I have fixed several Winchester mod 100 in the past few months that were recalled for the firing pin many years ago. It's like the Springfield recall on the pistols a friend sent his back to them and didn't get it back until ten months later. Your at the mercy of the manufacture when it comes to this stuff.

Long before what season Harv? It's a .17 fireball that can be used year around. As far as the recall itself, I have no problem with them doing it, but with the fact that for some reason mine is taking significantly longer to get done than others who sent theiers in at the same time and that they have no way for me to see whether it has actually been worked on or is sitting collecting dust or worse yet that it may be missing.

Long before the deer season as there can be deer hunting rifles from what this article states.

Stores carrying the rifles have shipped all of their stock back to Remington to have the trigger mechanisms cleaned. Remington’s HSOforum lists more than 40 different Model 700 rifles, calling it the “most diverse rifle line available to today’s hunter and shooter,” adding that the “range of calibers available is unrivaled in the industry.” There are three compact, short-action hunting rifles in the Model Seven line, which debuted in 1983. Prices for the rifles start at about $450 and can climb to more than $2,200.

Looks to me like more than just the .17 is affected Purple, that why I stated before the deer season or for that matter, any season that has dates for a critter that Remington makes a rifle with the XMP trigger.

After I checked, all my 700's have a front trigger with the ribs so from my understanding, the trigger is not included as the XMP trigger has a smooth front.

From what I have read, it is for any 700 or model 7 rifle with a XMP trigger, not just the .17. To tell if you have that trigger, on the front of the trigger, it will be smooth, not ribbed as the ribbed ones are ok as they do not have the XMP trigger in question.

Here is a link to Remington for the recall with all the info on how you tell if you have the defective trigger in questions and how to contact Remington.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...modelseven.aspx

Is the .17 fireball the only 700 or model 7 with a XMP trigger in question? I could not find anything that states exactly what caliber is included with the XMP trigger but I maybe missed the list.

It should be clarified that the April recall is different than this recent lawsuit settlement (which is the subject of this thread).

The April recall (concerning rifles with the X-Mark Pro) wasn't because of any lawsuit.

Here is the thread for the recall: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cal#Post3234814

It should be clarified that the April recall is different than this recent lawsuit settlement (which is the subject of this thread).

The April recall (concerning rifles with the X-Mark Pro) wasn't because of any lawsuit.

Here is the thread for the recall: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cal#Post3234814

That is what I asked in my first post before it got sidetracked.

Just an FYI, everywhere I've found has the Timney triggers on backorder.

I think a lot of people are opting for aftermarket vs the Remington fix.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent my 204 700 varmint in around the 25 th of May and just got it back on the 6 th of aug. That sucked ! But I sent the $50 rebait in at the same time and still ain't got it back . They need to speed this up

I finally got a Timney trigger delivered. Took a while as they were on back order everywhere, but I got it. Of course that's $100+ out of my pocket, but I know I have a good adjustable trigger and I won't be without my rifle come season.

Quote:
I can say this will be the last Remington I will ever buy.

They must be one of those products that people either love or hate.

My first recollection of Remington unreliability was back in the 70s when a couple of buddies bought a pair of the famous "Jam-a-matics".

I've always steered clear of Remington but some people really seem to like them.

I finally got a Timney trigger delivered. Took a while as they were on back order everywhere, but I got it. Of course that's $100+ out of my pocket, but I know I have a good adjustable trigger and I won't be without my rifle come season.

That timney trigger will make that a whole new gun! IMO its the only way to go.

I sent my 204 700 varmint in around the 25 th of May and just got it back on the 6 th of aug. That sucked ! But I sent the $50 rebait in at the same time and still ain't got it back . They need to speed this up
Still waiting for mine. I send them an email wondering what the problem was and they replied that I should expect a 12 week wait to get it back. I think it is as good as sold once it gets back if there is any market for a .17 fireball.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine back about 3 weeks ago , it took just over 2 months to get it fixed

It took Ice Castle longer to do warranty work on my fish house about 11 weeks

I've always steered clear of Remington but some people really seem to like them.

I have one of the recall 700's. One thing I can say for sure is that it's very accurate. I shot it for the first time yesterday and was able to place 3 rounds in almost the same hole from 100 yards. A dime covers the shot group.

• 3 weeks later...