• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roofing Ideas

honda400ex_treme

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of building a 8x16 retractable wheel fish house. I'm using .040 aluminum on the outside with spray foam insulation. I would like to use the aluminum on the roof as well. What are your guy's thoughts? I have the tape so it will seal. Just curious why everyone is using rubber roofing...

The aluminum sheeting should be fine for the roof, so long as you tape all the seams, and spray foam against them. I would go the extra step and caulk them all, just to be extra safe.

An idea I briefly considered was taking 4'x10' aluminum sheet, bending them over the top of the wall to cover 2'6"-3' of the roof on each side, and then running an additional sheet down the middle of the roof to cover the gap. That would likely be the most efficient use of materials, but I ended up finding a one piece aluminum roof to eliminate any seams.

Where did you find the 1 piece at? I work in a steel warehouse and stock .040 alum in 4x10 and 5x10 so it's easy and cheaper for me.. But definately interested in 1 piece roof.

People use rubber because it's easy to do, fast, and 100% waterproof. Alluminum is trickier, takes more skill and planning to do right,and expensive if you screw up. I did a pitched roof for headroom and a ceiling fan which again made rubber easier to do. Also, most of us don't have the huge garage or pole shed to use so fast is good. That being said,I think I would rather have rubber anyway but there are some very skilled builders on here, like LRG, that use alluminum and like it.

Clint @ Ice Assault.

Thanks he was very helpful. Is the roof of your fish house flat?

Yes, flat. No need to have a pitched roof if there are no seams, and even if there are seams I wouldn't worry about it with proper precautions.