• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Silver Lab?

mpester

What the heck is a silver lab? I saw some this weekend and they sure look like they have a lot of Weimaraner in them.

Silver labs are pure breds and at no time was there a weimaraner introduced in their genetic makeup. AKC doesn't recognize them purely based on members insisting there has to be solid color for AKC labs.

Silver Labs are only a color variant of a chocolate. TR21HP is right, they aren't recognized as silver by the AKC. Neither are reds (a darker shade of yellow).

Neither are reds (a darker shade of yellow).

Or whites, or ivory, or snowy, or fox red, or British red, or.... Colors are colors... Black, yellow, chocolate. That is all the color the AKC will ever recognize. the rest of the names are made up by breeders. As stated above, Silvers are chocolates... Just a MUCH smaller gene pool to breed to get you a silver dog. People who 'need' a color will buy one over seeking the best fit in a pedigree of a litter.

Good Luck!

Ken

What is up with their eye color? I have never seen an adult lab with blue or grey eyes (other than the silver labs from this weekend). The owner I overheard talking about them kept mentioning DNA testing showing they did not have anything other than lab blood in them.

As far as I understand DNA testing, it shows WHO you are related to. Genetic testing will show you what is in your gene pool. I have found plenty of pages talking about DNA testing along with plenty of pages saying no one has done genetic testing. I think I will just stick with the three recognized colors - black, yellow and chocolate.

No matter how you look at it there breeding for a specific color, and thats not good any way you try to slice it..

Oh for #$$%^ sake, what next. We have WAY too many people breeding dogs today, way too many.

I'm an old fashioned old fart of course, but Labradors are black. Not brown or red or maroon or silver. Black. I know, I know.....yellow blah blah blah. Most of the yellow labs I have been around have been dumb as a bag of dog food. Yep, I know about the ones with the ribbons etc and I acknowledge those and commend their owner/trainers.

But it would have been easier if they had started with a nice BLACK dog to begin with! Ha Ha Ha

But silver......please. And I agree: who says they are the most sought after...blah blah.

Carry on chaps. Time for another old fashioned...while my loyal little black dog lays by my feet.

I've known plenty of Black Labs that couldn't find a bird if you placed it in their mouth. Doesn't have anything to do with the color, it has to do with breeding.

Well after looking at the above mentioned they look like faded chocolate pigadores to me..

People breeding these types of dogs, whether it's a silver, a doodle,or shade of this or shade of that are selling to a group of people that don't have a clue, to the point that I'm not sure they have any idea which end they need to feed or clean up after..

People breeding these types of dogs, whether it's a silver, a doodle,or shade of this or shade of that are selling to a group of people that don't have a clue, to the point that I'm not sure they have any idea which end they need to feed or clean up after..

I realize this is the "hunting dog" forum, and hunting dog owners tend to have a bit of breed snobbery, but this is beyond what I usually see. Judging by the number of people who own labs (I think they're the most popular breed in the U.S.) compared to the number of people who actually hunt with or show them, I'd say the majority in the group of people they're selling to are looking for a family dog that is friendly with the kids. What makes you think they are ignorant of what they want and so stupid they can't feed or clean up the thing?

There are plenty of folks who love the temperament of a lab but want a bit less shedding for their family dog. The labradoodles I've seen (two different relatives of mine have them) shed much less than any purebred lab I've seen, and I'd say that's a good thing for the people that have em. They weren't sold or bought as "hunting" dogs, but they sure make good family pets.

I realize this is the "hunting dog" forum, and hunting dog owners tend to have a bit of breed snobbery, but this is beyond what I usually see. Judging by the number of people who own labs (I think they're the most popular breed in the U.S.) compared to the number of people who actually hunt with or show them, I'd say the majority in the group of people they're selling to are looking for a family dog that is friendly with the kids. What makes you think they are ignorant of what they want and so stupid they can't feed or clean up the thing?

There are plenty of folks who love the temperament of a lab but want a bit less shedding for their family dog. The labradoodles I've seen (two different relatives of mine have them) shed much less than any purebred lab I've seen, and I'd say that's a good thing for the people that have em. They weren't sold or bought as "hunting" dogs, but they sure make good family pets.

By golly, no question I made a slight mistake. I guess I do need some remedial reading lessons.

And quite a few people need to gain a little sense of humor. What is it with all the grim seriousness in today's world?

Actually, while I acknowledge there certainly are some less than brilliant Black Labradors I've never had one. And somewhere in my files I actually have a photo of a yellow Lab standing in stubble field with a bright rooster sitting about five feet away and the bonehead is totally unaware of it! Hilarious shot! But I know there are some super good yellow dogs.

Can't a guy have any fun any more? Phooey!

Ufatz, Sorry didn't mean to come down on you like that in fact I have no horse in this race as I've raised two nfc golden retreivers but I do have a chocolate grandpuppy that is a 4 year old master hunter and a great dog, both at home and in the field, that I really enjoy.

I witnessed (2) "silver labs" running in the Junior AKC hunt test this past weekend at CMRC. Worst working retreivers I have ever seen. I would rather run/swim and retrieve my own birds then watch a silver lab work.

I witnessed (2) "silver labs" running in the Junior AKC hunt test this past weekend at CMRC. Worst working retreivers I have ever seen. I would rather run/swim and retrieve my own birds then watch a silver lab work.

So did they pass?

So my field trial bred dogs aren't friendly with kids, or good family dogs? And my field trial bred black dogs shed too much for the average family to clean up after?? And you think it's a good thing to dumb down the breed based on color and lack of shedding? Rather than breeding based on the dogs natural ability to find and retrieve shot game? Thanks but I'm going stick to my first post about the tail end of the dog.

Wow, italics AND bold in your response? Must have struck a nerve for some reason. Where did I say your dogs weren't friendly with kids? And where did you come up with the fact that cross breeding is "dumbing down the breed"? Those mutts will never be a part of your AKC field trial this-or-that bloodline anyway, so they can't possibly be "dumbing down" the breed. The pure-bred dogs will always be the same as they are now, regardless of how many mutts are born on the side.

Reading comprehension must not be your strong point. On the contrary to insulting your dog, I gave it a compliment. I said that many people who want good pets (that are good with kids) actually LIKE to go with labs. It's also a fact that plenty of folks who would LIKE to own a lab cannot or would not like to have that much hair in their house -- either from a general cleanliness factor or due to allergies or due to who knows what. Usually, those type of folks look for a breed that doesn't shed, and often times it's a poodle. Poodles aren't nearly as friendly as labs, from what I gather. In this day and age, those people have been given the ability to compromise -- a cross breed between a lab and a poodle. They get less shedding and retain the lab friendliness. Seems good for them, and I don't see how it hurts you.

Plenty of folks must want this kind of mutt (as there's clearly a market demand), and I doubt that those people any smarter or stupider than you are, on average. They just want the dog for different reasons than you. But, I guess since is the "hunting dog" forum, that gives you a pass to insult any dog owner who has a dog for any reason other than field trials and hunting, by basically saying they don't know the dog's head from their arse. Carry on.

There is no smarter dog than the Golden, here is my hound on bunny patrol Sunday eve......

full-552-46779-10465511_781206181911534_

laugh lol

There are markets for almost every dog... From crossbreeds, to show dogs... From field trial breedings to pets, from spotted to silver, from tiny to large... If the dog you buy meets all your criteria, then it was the perfect dog for you! Some will buy on color, some will buy on potential, some will buy for looks... Just research your breedings and buy what's best for your needs.

Good luck!

Ken

Lab's has a good point regarding buy what you like.....it is truly none of my business what dog you buy or live with.

What I DO OBJECT too is what is happening to some of the venerable breeds of days gone by being bred into something that is no resemblance to the old dogs. I am and old dude, and sixty-some years later I can still close my eyes and see a beautiful Irish Setter crashing into some four foot high green water waves after a downed duck. Two old guys, side by side in a blind, pass shooting cans and redheads and that big rangy red dog blasting through the sleet and the waves to pick up those ducks.

Last Irish Setter I saw was carrying a purse over it's shoulder and had a powder puff in one paw.

Duff: Great photo of the rabbit hound. Just like the one I have of the bonehead yellow dog with a rooster crouched five feet away in 4" high cover. Ha Ha Ha

Buy what you want gang...but can't we do something about ruining the breeds? And don't even think about getting me started on puppy mills in MN and SD!!!

The dumb down statement was directed at the browndog, the choco lab has been under the gun ever since they started breeding for that brown color. Don't get me wrong I love a good brown dog and would love to have one again but they really are few and far between. Now throw in the dumbed down version (silver) and you have a real mess on your hands... Add the confirmation into the mix and it goes downhill from there.

Doodles are designer dogs, designed for owners that again ( no offence) do not have a clue what a working dog is supposed to do.. There mutts that cost over a $1000.00 and nothing more.. If you want a working poodle BUY one. Don't mix the lab up in that mess..........................

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The bottom line is if you want a lab as hunting dog, up your odds of getting a good one by staying away from silver labs.

If you choose them based on color do so on the basis of choosing a house pet.

It's misleading in a sense posting about them in here because this really is a "Hunting" dog not a house pet forum

The true intent of most who purchase based on those color characteristics should be for a house pet because as a hunting dog silvers really don't cut it.

If you want a good hunting dog choose dogs that are bred for hunting characteristics. Don't choose based only on color or conformation.....Although I do truly believe it is awesome, when possible to have the best of all three laugh

You've heard to never look directly at your prey. This dog has the tactic down cold.

Our next litter will be ebony labs... That's marketing genius right there, should be able to charge $200 more than we'd get for blacks. grin

I had never seen one of these until a hunt test a few weeks ago in St. Cloud. I was walking in Central Park today and I saw a lady with one. Maybe I had not been looking before but I think I will stick to black or yellow and lean toward the brown ones. I also saw a wild turkey in Battery Park yesterday. I am sure someone had that for dinner last night.

I think someone should say if you want a real hunting dog you should get something else besides a lab of any color. That way you guys can all hug again and agree. laugh

My cousin had a silver for a few years but the dog ended up with health issues relating to epilepsy which we were told was common in that breed. Poor thing started having seizures on a regular basis till they decided to put him down. Was primarily a family dog and in my opinion was one of the best I had ever seen. I think most of the time the dog actually though he was a person! He was loyal, mild mannered,fun and would tire out 10 people playing fetch. He was a great dog and it saddened our whole extended family to see him go. You get out what you put into any dog in my opinion and can't strictly rely on the breed to get a "good" dog. His name was Shadow because his was always right behind or beside you ready to please.....

You guys don't always have to take a simple question or comment and turn it into a PI$^&^%NG match, there's more important things going on in this world to focus your energy on than starting something on an internet forum....GO FIND ONE.. NAMA

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What the heck is a silver lab? I saw some this weekend and they sure look like they have a lot of Weimaraner in them.

Seen um, just always thought they were a mix too? confused

full-27051-46972-imageseanqji4x.jpg

You guys don't always have to take a simple question or comment and turn it into a PI$^&^%NG match, there's more important things going on in this world to focus your energy on than starting something on an internet forum....GO FIND ONE.. NAMA

duty_calls.png

• 3 months later...

The fox red we have is actually reg as a yellow lab

Because it IS a yellow.

Good Luck!

Ken