• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling motor

TJFISHER

Question

Thinking of putting a trolling motor on my 1650 Rebel. Is it bow mount or transom? I figure transon should work but....Also what size??

------------------
A BAD DAY OF FISHIN BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!

2 answers to this question

TJFISHER,
I have a 16.5 foot Alumacraft that is just about identical to your boat. I have a bow mounted minkota 55pounds thrust that is plenty enough to pull it around. I was also thinking about putting on a transom mount. I guess you have to think about how you fish the majority of the time. If you cast for bass then the bow mount is the one. If you do more back trolling, live bait rigging, ect. than maybe the transom mount is the way to go. I actually do more jigging/live bait rigging for walleyes and the bow mount works just fine. One thing that I wish I would have done is to get the Minkota with the built in universal transducer for my electronics. With the bow mount I have there is no real good way to hook up a graph to the bow of the boat, attaching the transducer to the trolling motor bottom. I dont know if the universal transducer comes with all models or not......Maybe something to look into especially if you ever intened on putting a locator on the bow of the boat.

Matt

Tj, Go with the bow mount! Pulling your boat as opposed to pushing it will give you sooooooo much more control and manuverability than a transom mount. Also, that being said, go with the longest shaft lenght you can get (I have a 60" Minnkota 65 Powerdrive on a 1660 Lund Pro-V). Motor does little good when it's out of the water. I'd also highly recommend going 24v if money allows. I'm sure the majority of your responses will echo mine. Have fun shopping!

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!