• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1978 mercury 50 hp

Question

Hi guys,
Looking for a little advice- I just bought a 1978 bluefin 16' side consloe with a mercury 50 horse, electric start for what I considered a nice price. However, this boat has not been in the water since October 2002, and has been stored in a pole barn since then. I'm picking it up this weekend. Here's the question-is there anything I should do to the motor prior to firing it up? I know the previous owner well, and have fished in the boat before, so I know that it ran great as of 2002. The last tank of gas that went through it was treated with either sea foam or stabil, and then she was put away. I just don't want to blow this thing up before I have a little fun with it, since this is a big upgrade from my little 14', 7.5 hp boat. Thanks in advance!

------------------
Happy fishin'
Fitchwolf

4 answers to this question

I would check a few general things before taking it out. If it were me, I would first change the lower unit fluid, I would be sure that I had a full tank of new gas in it, I would probably change the spark plugs. If the old ones are not to bad they will keep for good spares in an emergency. Grease all parts that need it. It would also be a good idea to clean the carbs, but I am not sure I would do it. Then I would hook it up to the hose at home to make sure it is running right before I go and look stupid at the landing. Hope this helps.

There shouldn't be much to do to it, except I would replace water pump impeller, in case it got brittle and will break during season.
Other than that, I would run Seafoam heavily first 2 tanks of gas, then once in a while.
Check lower unit oil for moisture, and/or replace if needed.
These were great strong motors.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

On the right side of the motor (looking at it from the boat) I think there should also be a fuel filter bowl that just screws off. Good idea to dump anything that is in there out and clean the screen. My motor is a 1980 but I think they should be very similar.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I just got her home, and picked up an impeller, sea foam, and spark plugs yesterday. Can't wait to get her in the water!

------------------
Happy fishin'
Fitchwolf