• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Memorial Day weekend.

Big Jeff

Any one catching anything? We have one 22", 100 zebra mussels and 2 crawfish. Lindys, bobbers and cranks. You can still mark them but good luck. At izatys so se corner so far 54 temps this morning. Isle bay 59. Saw 3 Muskies but they didn't want our walleye cranks. Willing to trade Muskie spot for spot where the fish actually bite.

Been out since 6am this morning...... Not even a bite. I tried numerous spots along the east and me and even towards garrison. Tried cranks, bobbers, jig, plastics, lindy, and casting cranks and got nothing.

I got one bite jiggin and missed it is unreal don't get it what is going on?

Whew. It was bad. Even worse than I expected and I expected it to be bad, but I wasn't prepared for how bad. Here are the totals for two guys:

1 crawfish. It was the best bite of the weekend by far. He held on tight and he was difficult to extract from the bait! I can't say enuf about the aggressiveness of this fiesty critter. Since there was nothing else biting, my son immediately noticed the extra "heft" on the line and set the hook. He let him go and considered it a good sign of things to come.

Sure enough, an hour later the only fish of the weekend kind of bit on a microleech and the bobber tipped a bit, I think. Anyway, a 19 inch smallmouth was boated. My son caught that too. That was it. I did talk to two guys in a boat who caught a 19 inch and a 24 inch walleye. Yes, a keeper! They were so hammered and celebrating the keeper that I took them on their word! They were using planer boards. I boated over to them and shook their hands I was so impressed. Never saw another fish boated or heard of another caught all weekend. I saw a very respected guide (I will spare his name here) who also had nothing.

Oh, I forgot. We also saw a nice muskie under the boat. He was entirely dormant. Could have hit him in the head with a two by four and he wouldn't have moved. Still, he looked smarter than we did trying to catch fish in this cold water.

is it the water temp that has the fishing bad or what is going on? I will be up next weekend and really would like to have some decent luck or I am going to try a different lake.

2 1/2 hours 4 people bobber fishing 1 17". Slow they are trantioning to depper water.

post spawn blues for the eyes, coupled with a lot of baitfish in the water = slow fishing.

And cold water. Once the water warms up, it will be on again. Usually on fire over Memorial day weekend. Not this year. After this week with this warm up, the fishing will be much better.

That's the spirit. Heading up next Tuesday for the week with the old man. Hopefully it's turned around by then

I don't know the problem but we caught fish Memorial Day. We averaged nearly 6 per hour. Most all were caught in 27ft of water just off structure. Most fish were around 20 to 23 in length. Looked to be males fat and really healthy. Caught on circle hooks and released healthy. Lindy type rigging worked great. Lots of zebras on the sinkers. We started in shallow but once we worked deeper...well you know the rest. Hardly saw a boat...maybe it was the rain/drizzle.

Faner.

I have been seeing a ton of eyes in the shallows by weeds. I have been fishing smallies for the past couple of weeks and have caught quite a few doing that and did target them for a while with cranks and did well. I think with the water clarity the way it is they are relating to the weeds for cover. Its probably the reason they are being found out deep as well. The water clarity is just unreal right now.

Fished for a couple hours Sunday night up on the north end of the lake and boated 5 eyes, 28", 26", 22", and I caught 2 others that were 1/8th over and under the slot limit...go figure. Bobber fished with jigs and leeches. All fish caught looked really healthy too.

Out most most of the day on Saturday out of Cove Bay. Focused on rocks marked by bouys and did not get a thing. Hoping things get better. Gorgeous day to be out but the fishing could have been better. Talked to guys that were coming off at about 11 in the morning that had been out since early in the morning and they did not get anything either.

Went out yesterday from 730am-3pm on the NW side of the lake. First three hours we fished jigs and shiners/plastics around shallower structure with only one 23.5" eye to show for it (came on a plastic), water temp up shallow was 60-61degrees. Decided to try something new so we got out the lindy rigs and headed deeper. Only saw one other boat out there. Fished the edges of structure in 25-27' with shiners and leeches. water temp was 57 degrees, caught 8 fish and missed a couple more. fish were between 20-26.5" so we got one for the box! We noticed a couple of the fish we caught were spewing eggs as we were taking them out of the net... kind of odd. caught one tagged fish too. oh, plain white and chartreuse #2 and #4 hooks. By the end of the day the surface temp toward shore was 63-64 degrees.