• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Superbowl Homeboy"

EBass

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• CaptainMusky

• PurpleFloyd

• Canon Guy

LMT have you ever provided anything of value here besides you myopic narcicism? Just curious. I haven't seen it perhaps I missed some gems. Perhaps that's reserved for silly town and the gaming threads?

The Superbowl in MN will be cool. Its a chance to essentially be on the world's stage if only for a few short days.

Yeah the state will have to forego some sales tax on tickets and probably lower price venue rental but the downtown businesses will get a huge shot in the arm.

I have no plans to go to the Superbowl unless I won tickets somehow cuz I would miss all the commercials and my beer and snacks are paid for.

There are a lot of things in life that are "cool", but at the same time are not very practical. I get that a mouth-breathing Vikings fan will never understand this, and simple math is an enigma for them, but sometimes you just have to put the kool-aid down let the adults in the room make the decisions.

LMMFAO, LMIT would be stoked about it all if we would of drafted his boy Manziel, if only that would of happened he could of been a kool aid drinking mouth-breathing Vikings fan like everyone else. Now he won't come out of the closet and has to hide his true feeling even longer!!

You have to admit the Superbowl is a positive for the host city at least in the short run.

Not in terms of wins and losses. To me that is all that counts.

Maybe they should just not have a Super Bowl anymore since even though everyone wants it it's not good for them.

sometimes you just have to put the kool-aid down let the adults in the room make the decisions.
the adults did make the decision you just happen to have a problem with it. So you come here and act like a privileged 12 old girl who's daddy won't buy you that pony you wanted.

LMMFAO, LMIT would be stoked about it all if we would of drafted his boy Manziel,

I'll be stoked when Green Bay plays Cleveland for the Lombardi Trophy in the Vikings' stadium. wink

The butthurt in this state will be EPIC.

the adults did make the decision you just happen to have a problem with it.

No, adults who make responsible choices didn't make this decision. Adults who love to buy stuff with other people's money when they should be putting investments in more important places (other than Billionaire's pockets), did.

Once again, I don't expect the mouth-breathers in this state to comprehend that so it is what it is, but to pretend the Super Bowl is some huge cash cow for the city or the state is complete hogwash and nothing more than preying on the low information public.

Have I said its a huge cash cow? Nope. There are sectors that will come out really well. Will the state forego some sales tax in order to sweeten the deal? Probably. Much of this will likely be recouped through taxing the businesses who are reaping more profits.

Its probably to $25M to $75M boost to the local economy vs the $500M you hear but to think that is something not worth making some concessions for is perplexing to me. If the Superbowl didn't make money why would New Orleans go after their 11th of any city make a push to be a host city?

And if it was such a bad thing, why would Indy make a bid for it so soon after hosting one? Cash cow? I guess that would depend on your definition, but it will be a cash cow for some in business in Mpls. and the surrounding area.

Some will spend the next for years whining about it just like they whine about everything else.

No, adults who make responsible choices didn't make this decision. Adults who love to buy stuff with other people's money when they should be putting investments in more important places (other than Billionaire's pockets), did.

Julie Rosen isn't a responsible adult?

So LMT the stadium was built soleley to host 1 Superbowl?

I am pretty sure there will be 10 NFL football games there each season not counting the other events held there like possibly a Justin Bieber concert so you can chill with both of your friends.

How convenient you forget. The new stadium will not be demolished after the superbowl. I suppose since you cannot pontificate from that soapbox its hard to remember.

So LMT the stadium was built soleley to host 1 Superbowl?

I am pretty sure there will be 10 NFL football games there each season not counting the other events held there like possibly a Justin Bieber concert so you can chill with both of your friends.

How convenient you forget. The new stadium will not be demolished after the superbowl. I suppose since you cannot pontificate from that soapbox its hard to remember.

The point is not that it won't bring in money but rather that it doesn't bring in enough money to even cover it's basic operating expenses. This has been the case for decades with the Metrodome itself where the building itself had been paid for but it never brought in enough revenue to cover it's yearly operating costs without relying on it's depreciation schedule. All of the audits for the dome are available online and if you care enough to actually look at then you will see the dome never operated in the black. Now, you add nearly a Billion dollars in construction costs and don't increase the stadium capacity to any large degree and somehow this new stadium is supposed to somehow make the team more money, pay for itself, and not cost the fans any more for a ticket. Can someone explain how that is supposed to work?

Don't even bother trying to explain it, PurpleFloyd. Mouth breathers are gonna mouth breathe.

Purple I don't entirely doubt your statement but I found this information when doing an initial search on profitability: "Today, according to Long's research, it's the cheapest ballpark around, with the government more than recouping the initial outlay for construction through the most favorable lease in sports. The public gets a large chunk of concessions revenues, a quarter of stadium ad revenue and 100 percent of parking fees. (All this comes from a Baseball Prospectus story, which subscribers can read here.) As of 2005, the Metrodome had actually turned a $100 million profit for Minnesotans."

It may have no longer been profitable after the Twins left but it would appear at one point it was which is against what you were saying...

Don't even bother trying to explain it, PurpleFloyd. Mouth breathers are gonna mouth breathe.

so sayeth the king of mouth breathers.

Purple I don't entirely doubt your statement but I found this information when doing an initial search on profitability: "Today, according to Long's research, it's the cheapest ballpark around, with the government more than recouping the initial outlay for construction through the most favorable lease in sports. The public gets a large chunk of concessions revenues, a quarter of stadium ad revenue and 100 percent of parking fees. (All this comes from a Baseball Prospectus story, which subscribers can read here.) As of 2005, the Metrodome had actually turned a $100 million profit for Minnesotans."

It may have no longer been profitable after the Twins left but it would appear at one point it was which is against what you were saying...

I would have to see their numbers and how they came up with the "profit". Most of the time these articles use inflated numbers for the amount of spending that occurs around the stadium and fail to account for the fact that much of the spending is discretionary and would have been spent in the area anyway but on other things in the absence of the stadium and the sports team. In other words if I have 300 dollars and want to use it on entertainment I could go to a Vikings game if it was there, or, if not I would use it to go fishing, hunting etc. The only number that should be used in the revenue column to justify the expense is what money comes in that never would have been spent if the stadium was never there. If you use those numbers then you never, ever get to a point where the stadium is revenue positive.

As far as whether the stadium itself is self sustaining, I had a link once that showed the total revenues created for every major sports team in the state at the stadiums they played in and compared that to the operating costs of the facilities and it came up on the negative side of the column. That was since the 60's. What people always do is look at the money brought in but fail to look at the costs involved in operating and maintaining those facilities over the lives of the building. And the new deals made by the owners are done to put more of that money in the owners hands and less to pay back the state for their share. So any additional revenue is not good for the state because Wilf lives in Jersey and takes that profit out of our economy and over to Jersey where it does us no good. Read up on the money multiplier to see how that negatively impacts our state.

Interestingly when I was arguing against public funding for the Vikings stadium you could go to this site:

http://www.auditor.leg.state.mn.us/fad/fadalpha.htm

And get the financial audits for every year which were very detailed, showing all incomes and expenditures. Now that the MSFC was disbanded and rebranded as the MSFA they have removed all of the financial data from the audits which i find very interesting considering that the other audits that I just browsed for comparison still have theirs. None the less if the reports can be dredged from the WWW they will show yearly operating losses.

Purple that's a good point. They also said prior to approval for the Superbowl bid that all details in the bid would be shared but have since rescinded. ??????

Purple that's a good point. They also said prior to approval for the Superbowl bid that all details in the bid would be shared but have since rescinded. ??????

That is by design because the NFL dictated that they would get tax breaks and revenue shifted to them that was originally used on the stats side of the spread sheet to display the revenue and tax potential of hosting it. wink

Noted.

If I were Zygi I'd be smiling too. Dayton, on the other hand, is thinking "weeeeeeee!".

217STAD120413.JPG

Last time the super bowl was in Minnesota there was a lot of talk of changing the time that bars closed so that the super bowl crowd could keep drinking a little later. It took a while but the state did change the time for bars to stop serving.

I wonder if this time around the pot heads will want to legalize weed in Minnesota? Seems like some of the ex-players might get behind that. Whizzonator, Moss ....

I guess it was a real stroke of bad luck getting the Super Bowl. Hopefully we don't get a double whammy and end up with the Final Four now too. That would be awful, the Super Bowl and Final Four, we just can't catch a break.