• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Superbowl Homeboy"

EBass

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• CaptainMusky

• PurpleFloyd

• Canon Guy

Read some of the post-Super Bowl articles from last year in the NY/NJ papers. Despite what some poor cities like New Orleans tend to think, it seems that it's more of a notoriety and status event than something that actually makes money for the host city. Wait until you read about all of the tax exemptions that the NFL demands as a part of the bid and all of the security and emergency services that the City/State must provide. It's quite shocking. Economic impact is quantifiable but rarely verifiable, due to the age old principle of garbage-in, garbage-out in the IMPLAN and other economic models.

So now the Billionaire with morally questionable business practices receives a new tax payer funded stadium and gets to keep the proceeds from a superbowl... YIPEE!

So now the Billionaire with morally questionable business practices receives a new tax payer funded stadium and gets to keep the proceeds from a superbowl... YIPEE!

Pretty sure he doesn't get to keep any of the proceeds from the Super Bowl.

Some people just aren't happy unless they can bring someone else down. This is a big deal for the state and the city. I don't understand why some people always have to put a negative spin on things. You must either be looking to start a fight with someone or you're from Wisconsin.

They said on the radio New Orleans lost money when they had the Bowl last time. It will obviously bring money in but is also a massive expense at the same time.

Well it can't be too bad of a gig. New Orleans has hosted 10 times, this would have been the 11th if they had gotten it.

This is a big deal for the state and the city.

You are exactly right. This will cost the state taxpayers a pile of money. A BIG pile.

full-593-45947-markdaytonshovelingmoney.

It still baffles me why anyone would want us to host a SB. Doing so guarantees a losing season and no chance to make the playoffs. I would much rather have the team in the hunt for a SB ( Yeah, I know it probably isn't happening anyway but it's nice to think the chance is there).

Trivia tidbit:

In the history of the SB there has never been a team to both host the SB and also make the playoffs in the same year. After nearly 50 years this is more than a coincidence.

But but but this is a big deal for MN guys, you must all be trying to start a fight or be from Wisconsin

You guys sound like a bunch of Sally's. Spot light the state, city, nice people. See that MN is not just an ice cube and that there's actually stuff to do. Give us our 2 seconds of fame. Boost the revenue for some local business's. I didn't think these were bad things but leave it to a bunch of nincompoops to speculate how terrible it is.

You guys sound like a bunch of Sally's. Spot light the state, city, nice people. See that MN is not just an ice cube and that there's actually stuff to do. Give us our 2 seconds of fame. Boost the revenue for some local business's. I didn't think these were bad things but leave it to a bunch of nincompoops to speculate how terrible it is.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Craigums how old are you? Like 10??

So KFAN had the MPS Mayor on today and she couldn't stop babbling about how proud she was we got. Then they said "Didn't you vote against the stadium?" Of course she did but she's going to take credit for getting the SB here. Watching the news last night all the tools who voted against it are on there bragging about how this is why we needed a new stadium. These idiots all need to be throat punched.

If you don't think having a SB is good for the city as well as the state, you are sadly mistaken.

Showcase the city? Nobody is going to be watching the game and see a picture of MPLS and say to themselves "Gee I should really go check out that Minnesota in January". I will give you that it is a short term boost to local businesses but as several other people have already mentioned with all the added security, tax breaks and amenities the NFL is asking for it's not really a boon for the state as so many of you seem to think. The real winner here is Zigmunt Wilf and I can't get myself overly excited about that. I see it more as a novelty than anything.

Showcase the city? Nobody is going to be watching the game and see a picture of MPLS and say to themselves "Gee I should really go check out that Minnesota in January". I will give you that it is a short term boost to local businesses but as several other people have already mentioned with all the added security, tax breaks and amenities the NFL is asking for it's not really a boon for the state as so many of you seem to think. The real winner here is Zigmunt Wilf and I can't get myself overly excited about that. I see it more as a novelty than anything.

+1

Just another 'S' show plus snow. The only thing long lasting that MN will get out of this is a ton of garbage buried under the snow that will have to be picked up in the spring.

If you don't think having a SB is good for the city as well as the state, you are sadly mistaken.

I struggle to see how hosting the Super Bowl could possibly be a bad thing. That said the NFL is a money making machine and they will take more than their share. But that should still leave plenty for the city over and beyond what they spend to get ready for it. Also any permanent improvements will be permanent, so you still have benefit. I mean we gotta stack Ziggy Town right?

Its been so long I barely remember the last one here. I think it'll be enjoyable to see it back.

The closest the Vikings will get to sniffing an actual Super Bowl win....today's headline in the Strib:

Vikings war room erupts with Super Bowl win:vikeswarroom.jpg

Quit raining on our parade Skunked. It might be a lame parade with only a couple old overweight clowns, and a few partially inflated balloons but its still our parade none the less and we're proud of it.

Showcase the city? Nobody is going to be watching the game and see a picture of MPLS and say to themselves "Gee I should really go check out that Minnesota in January".

Yeah, because the Super Bowl is all about just the game. There's no fan experience, no media week, no reporters reporting on local activities or culture, no city tours, none of that stuff right? Kind of a shallow way to think. The Super Bowl is an event, a week long event. If you didnt know that than maybe you should learn more before trying to sound smart.

Good for Minneapolis.I am sure the city and the corporate sponsors will put on one heck of an event.

What a bummer we are getting the Super Bowl.....I'm so mad about this I cant even type right now!

grinlaughgrinsmilegrin

grin

Where are we going to ship all the homeless people to for Super Bowl week?