• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Troy Smutka

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports by Great Day on the Water Guide Service

Troy Smutka

1/8/18     Enjoyed the warmer weather finally with a day on Mille Lacs on Sunday. Jigged from a portable in 26 feet and had had tipups out in 27 and 28 feet, fishing a transition from rocks to softer bottom. Lots of walleyes of all sizes and small perch on the camera and flashers. Caught walleyes (16-18 inches) early and late in the day--mid day fish were there but not biting. Fish were finicky and tough to hook--we had more come off under the hole then we got through the hole. Bite has been better during more stable, warm periods, than during the prolonged cold spell. Roads out of the resorts all the way to the mud now. We were on 18 inches of good ice. Check with Lynwood at the Malmo Market for up-to-date fishing tips and the best bait on the lake. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

01a787850f987c9568113c5d59334d313f446291e8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

leech~~

How about Jumbos.  Anyone hitting them?  Would be nice to bring something home with the one eye and add to the fun.

Troy Smutka

leech,

Not a ton of those in the lake right now--a bunch getting there in a year or two. Some are being caught around the NE sand humps. A few really nice ones mixed in with smaller ones. I haven't tried there yet, but report from a very reliable source. Four to ten big ones a day (10-13 inchers) and lots of smaller ones. Very small panfish jigs with waxies or Eurolarvae have been the best as they have been finicky with the cold. Basically use sunfish gear.

Stick in Mud

Yep, it would be pretty tough to target perch...Any keepers we've got the last, oh, decade or so have been few and far between.  The last three or four years we didn't even mark the little ones; this year, finally, there are a bunch of 4'' perch almost everywhere we've been.  In the past few years, we only really saw them shallow in the southern bays.  

Hopefully the increased perch population translates into lower rates of small walleye predation.  We'll see. 

• Yayyyy 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• HunterFisher11
      By HunterFisher11
      So looking at some property on long lake right by Ottertail lake and wondering how the fishing is on it and the depths on it? Thanks for any information!!!!
    • DavidA
      By DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lots of limits of nice walleyes this week with plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  Schools of fish all around the lake.  From the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gap area which is adjacent to Pine Island to Zippel Bay to reefs and mud near Long Point and Rocky Point all producing.  Garden Island area also holds nice schools of walleyes.  The go to presentation is pulling spinners with crawlers or leeches at 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Some anglers are doing well trolling crankbaits as well on lead core line or downriggers.  Nice schools of walleyes also staged over deep mud.  Some fish are shallow, 7- 15', other fish holding in 23 - 31'.  Hammered gold, gold/glow, pink, and orange hot colors this week.      
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching some good fish as the season opened on July 1st.  Fishing holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Walleyes hanging out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent fishing for walleyes, pike and bass continue.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  Bucktails for pike retrieved slow working well.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      7.6.20 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Minnesota Lake of the Woods Walleye action continues in less than 10’ casting Rapala’s, floating leeches or pulling crawlers in rocks and sand bays. Walleye are also showing back up on classic structure including points and main lake reefs. Trolling deep diving Rapala’s has been producing very large pike and slot walleye in 12 to 18 ft. of water.

Lake of the Woods Musky opener was successful in shallow, weeded areas. With one over 50” boated and the rare 49.5” as well as many mid 40” fish.

With water temps increasing into the high 70’s this week, Rock areas are heating up. Smaller bass sized baits and blades have been favored by these toothy critters. Current musky anglers are seeing up to 10 fish a day!

• Little Blueberry
      By Little Blueberry
      any current musky info?  Looking for new water since can’t get to LOW.
    • tacklejunkie
      By tacklejunkie
      I haven't seen any reports locally this year. The other forums all have updated reports. 
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got out on Fathers day with the Kayak down the Mississippi River for some good ole Smallmouth Bass action. River was low which made a great float and the smallies were hungry! They just couldn't resist the wacky worm once again. We have such an amazing fishery here in MN, glad to call this state home.  Enjoy. 

• Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • MNredneck
      By MNredneck
      I was looking to go sturgeon fishing on the st croix river, what parts of the river hold a fish-able population of sturgeon. i was hoping to be near st croix or wild river state parks.
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Poutwhacker
      We're heading to the East side of Rainy, boat camping next week. Just curious if the walleyes are on the reefs and what baits are being used? Any updates would be appreciated.
    • Trump 2020
      Muskies-  Any advice on a good place to stay on Rainy? Was supposed to stay on Canadian side this week and obviously didn’t go. So now I am trying to put together a quick trip with my Dad on MN side maybe later this month instead...
    • james_walleye
      It was in about 12 feet of water I estimated. 100 feet or so I'd say off shore. I kick myself....I wanted to get the pic so bad I didn't hit a waypoint. But it would be easy to find again. 
    • Laker218
      How close to comet island was it?  If I remember the story correctly comet island was named after one of Aronsons early motor boats named “comet” hit the island and sank.  I think the story was in one of the lake vermilion history books the timberjay published about 15 years ago.
    • inshal
      Hi, guys, I've written a complete guide on offshore fishing that will be very helpful for the newbies I need you help to make the guide better so everyone can have benefit from it. This is not a spam so I request the admins please don't remove my post. Offshore Fishing Guide
    • james_walleye
      Just off the west side of comet 
    • gimruis
      I was able to talk to my Father about his days at LOTW.  He and my Mother caught 12 walleyes in 3 days over 27 inches, plus numerous other smaller ones.  Didn't catch a single sauger.  They caught them jigging, spinner rigs, and on lead core.  Lead core seemed to catch the bigger fish as they use bigger crank baits that weed out the smaller fish.  It was calm all 5 days so they could get to and fish just about anywhere they wanted to without any difficulty.
    • mbeyer
      Vermilion is a "no brainer" when it comes to smallmouth. You'll be fine in early August. What is your favorite way ti catch bass? Start with that and work from there. One of my favorites is a white/pearl fluke...they eat those things up.  
    • jkrash
      is that out front of Mckinley park?
    • HunterFisher11
      So looking at some property on long lake right by Ottertail lake and wondering how the fishing is on it and the depths on it? Thanks for any information!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.