• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wild Offseason

archerystud

Mitchell signed with Florida. Man, did Florida make some serious signings today!!! They were busy.

I cannot get over some of these contracts. Stoner $13M? Moulson 4 yrs $20M, the Spezza deal, wow!!! They are crazy high.

I would have liked the number for Vanek to be a bit lower, maybe $6M, but I am OK with it.

Next moves/changes:

Trade Zucker, Brodziak, Backstrom (if possible)

Get Right handed big DMan (???), 3rd Line forward. We need a bruiser yet.

Cough Cough how about Bertuzzi? Ouch, did I just say that?

The Wild have $13.4M Cap space left after Vanek. They gave qualifying offers to Nino, Kuemper, Zucker, Fontaine. Let's say those guys all sign for half that (could be high), that leaves $6.7M (probably want to hold back $700K for other moves up and down during season) to spend on other folks not counting any potential trades.

We should be able to fill the last two needs I see for that. Question is, who is out there?? If there is no one that fits the system/team then hold on to the cash and wait it out.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Bear55

• 10,000 Casts

• OnAFly

Here's my line prediction:

Parise-Granlund-Pomminville

Vanek-Koivu-Coyle

Nino-Haula-Cooke

Veilleux-Broadziak-Fontaine

Zucker as a floater.

I wish we had McCormick centering the 4th line. He brought great energy. We need a big body now that Stoner was grossly overpaid by Anaheim.

Good for Stoner. He went from being a rotated out D-man to pretty much being set for life now. He was a great in the playoffs and I'm sure that had a lot to do with his contract.

Word on the street in Buffalo was Vanek and Pommers were awesome together, throw Granlund in between and watch the magic happen! Nothing wrong with Koivu there either, might be interesting to see Granlund with Parise and Coyle too. Heck any combination will be fun to watch and we still have plenty of pieces to put together a heck of a 3rd line as well.

Good for Stoner on that contract but spendy for the ducks, yikes for Mitchell at 4.25, glad we didn't bite on that one. If we can't find anyone else it will be a good year to see if Blum, Dumba, or Folin can play, if not we can always pick up a D in a trade or at the deadline. Love this team right now!!!

Man, a barrel of monkeys has nothing on 30 NHL GMs on the first day of free agency eh? Wow. Some crazy deals yesterday.

Some head scratchers too. Pouliot to the Oil for $4M a year? Really? They guy's good for a point every third game, and a bonehead penalty every third shift... Miller at $6M/year in Vancouver? Didn't they just get out of an overpaid aging goalie mess?

Wild played it smart yesterday I thought. Vanek is a great addition at a reasonable term and manageable money. To put in in perspective, he's getting $1m/year LESS than we were paying Heately... If they'd have had to go 5-6 years at those dollars I'd have said no way. But 3 years is great. He apparently turned down another huge offer from the Islanders to come here. As if the Isles fans didn't hate us enough for the Nino for Cal trade.

Too bad they missed on Mitchell, but for $4.25M/year I'm glad they didn't bite. But they do need a physical D with Stoner gone. Be interesting to see if they go the trade route. The FA D-men left aren't anything to get excited about that's for sure.

And good on Stoner for taking the deal with the Ducks. Seemed liked he was nothing but a good soldier for the Wild, but that's crazy money for a 3rd pair D who plays 12-13 minutes a night.

Our division was already maybe the toughest in hockey. Yesterday it added Richards, Vanek, Iginla, Hemsky, Spezza, and Stansy jumped from one team to another within the division.

Man o man is the Central going to be a brutally tough division next year. Yeesh.

Where were we on Brad Richards? Blackhawks got a steal at 1 yr $2m. He could play on any line and we'd have 4 top 6 centers.

Need that Big D plus a goalie IMO. We need to find another solid Dman who can take some minutes away from Suter so he is not overplayed and has more gas in the tank come playoff time. We have some players to trade now. We have done good so far but no matter how good we are up front....Goalies win games and we are still very questionable there. Hang Koivu and one of our Goalies out there and see who might offer up a Big Dman or a stellar tender....heck throw in Zucker or a guy like Fontaine in there too if you need to...we are very close and it is obvious Fletch & Craig L are hungry for that Cup. This is so fun to see it all unfold.

10kc - I thought about that too, but if you look at us, where would BR play? We need good roles for young guys to develop and BR isn't a 4th liner. Great cheap signing though.

Sounds like GMCF may hold tight and go the trade route for a gritty D. If so, I'm gussing goodbye Zucker.

Olli Jokinen signs with Predators for 1 yr 2.5 mil.

Wonder if the wild showed any interest?

Well Fonzi files for arbitration. Not surprising, but I wonder what he will end up getting? All of the others either didnt file or couldnt so we should have gotten by with base level deals for each one of them which is good. Fonzi might get a few more bucks, but not terribly more.

I would like to see a D man added and possibly a forward yet. I am really liking the makeup of this team now. I just hope we have some stability in net this season. Sure would be nice to have 2 goalies healthy at a time.

One of the goals for this next season, figure out a way to have Suter on the ice LESS. I know he is great for the team, but all those minutes are adding up and I think took its toll on him in the post season.

Sounds like 95% of the time a deal is done before arbitration and it's more of a way to make sure that neither side does anything to try any gain an upper hand in negotiation.

Russo's saying that Cody Almond may be coming back next year. That will be an interesting signing. Sounds like our 4th line is done, if so.

Yeah, I read that about Almond. I dont remember him at all. Must have been a real difference maker on the roster. :-)

Agreed on the arbitration. It shouldnt be much of a big deal at all. The other thing is no one else can sign him during this period so that is good and he will not be holding out.

Soooo....we sign a physical center who apparently broke out with a scoring touch in the Swiss league last year for $550k...to a one way deal. Hmmmm, Brodziak also plays that 4th line C role for $2.83M.

Do we have a trade coming? grin

Quote:
Sounds like our 4th line is done, if so

If that's the case then we are the softest team in the history of the NHL.. And have you guys looked at the teams in the west lately? Just about everyone of them has added enforcers. We were soft when we had Stoner and Mcormick and now we don't even have them...

Quote:
Do we have a trade coming?

I sure hope so.

Soooo....we sign a physical center who apparently broke out with a scoring touch in the Swiss league last year for $550k...to a one way deal. Hmmmm, Brodziak also plays that 4th line C role for $2.83M.

Do we have a trade coming? grin

I heard through grapevine that Wild are in talks with Sens to acquire Eric Gryba Dman big toughguy but that's all I know about him. Heard Sens don't like what we are offering yet but still negotiating...and yes Brodz is part of the package.

Yeah, I'm back and forth on that. Really, I don't think enforcers are effective anymore. What we need to do is just play a little closer to the edge. It seems we play too nice sometimes.

Flames - Mcgrattan, Westgarth, Engo

Oilers - Gazdic, Hendricks, Fraser, Pinnozotto

Sharks - Scott, Brown, Desjardins

Canucks - Sestito

Coyotes - Bizz, Chipchura

Kings - Clifford, Nolan, Greene

Ducks - Jackman, Maroon, Stoner

Blues - Reeves, Ott

Blackhawks - Bollig

Preds- Clune, Hendricks

Jets- Stuart, Peluso

Avs- Bordelea, Mcleod

Stars- Roussell

Wild- The girls that shovel the ice.

Yup, I'm going to say that our toughest guy right now is Jared Spurgeon.. lol.

Really, I don't think enforcers are effective anymore. What we need to do is just play a little closer to the edge.

Agreed BUT the one thing I noticed the Wild really lacked throughout the playoffs was a staple in front of the net, would be nice to have a big DMan that can be a solid post out there and run interference on crafty forwards.

Also if you told anyone 3-4 years back that the Wild would sign Parise, Suter & Vanek not a single person in the world would have believed you.

Also if you told anyone 3-4 years back that the Wild would sign Parise, Suter & Vanek not a single person in the world would have believed you.

Not so sure about that Bear. I would have as would many others IMO, no surprise once Craig L got the team and Fletch got involved it makes total sense from every angle....with the connections all these players have with each other....and to MN....and where their homes/families are...and the budget....and the need....and the direction Fletch and Craig L. wanted to take the team....and I don't think it was difficult pulling it all together when you look back and see what they had to spend and who else was out there....it is the perfect scenario for all involved.

Quote:
You guys have to pay more attention the Wild signed former Gopher Stu Bickel and Joel Rechlicz from the Caps. Plenty of meat out there if needed, Rechlicz sounds like a heavyweight/Boogaard type.

I liked the Bickel signing for depth for injuries etc but I doubt either of those guys will see very many games with the big club and Gazdic, Bordeleau and Macgrattan would kill those 2.. Rechlicz looks like he has been bounced around a few teams and is slated for AHL duty.

I'd still like to see the Wild add another big D-man to help clear out the front of the net better. Gryba would fill that slot nicely and I'd be willing to give up Brodin or Dumba for him.

Scandella and Folin are big enough and Suter is strong enough but they need a replacement for Stoner. Since the Wild do have plenty of tradeable assets I'm sure they have many options to pursue. I will be surprised if the Wild don't have at least one trade prior to training camp.

I would like to see another big D man as well. We all know there will be a few injuries, hopefully fewer than last year.

Quote:
I'd be willing to give up Brodin or Dumba for him

Holy Buckets, no way. Give them Brodziak and a draft pick.

Also I just saw that Matt Kassian is a UFA. He'd be worth the $600k cap hit to just have for the press box and call ups.

Not arguing with trading Brodz but I don't think there is not a ton of outside interest without including a bit more of an asset....

So let me pose this question. Assume are in Fletchers shoes, who of the young guys at this point are you willing to trade? I know a lot also depends on who you get in return, but at this point you may have to give up something else in return.

Trade: Brodin, Fontaine, Zucker, Dumba, Phillips

Untouchable: El Nino, Granlund, Olofsson, Huala, Coyle, Folin, Scandella.

I'm not as high on Brodin as others, he's a little to passive for me.

I assume this is young guys only.

Trade:

Zucker

Phillips (both low value right now)

Dumba if the price is right

Haula if the price is right...and really right

Untouchable:

Granny

Brodin

Coyle

Nino

Scandella (short o D)

I don't know enough about Folin, Olofsson

I assume this is young guys only.

Trade:

Zucker

Phillips (both low value right now)

Dumba if the price is right

Haula if the price is right...and really right

Untouchable:

Granny

Brodin

Coyle

Nino

Scandella (short o D)

I don't know enough about Folin, Olofsson

Pretty accurate list but even though he's a veteran I'd give up Koivu before giving up Haula.

Brodin is only 20 yes old who is to say he will develop into. Passive now but look at what he did at the beginning of last season before the injury! He is untouchable in my opinion. I would say my list of guys to trade regardless of age are this in order: brodziak, zucker, koivu, Philips, spurgeon (depends how dumba develops) or dumba.

Brodin is only 20 yes old who is to say he will develop into. Passive now but look at what he did at the beginning of last season before the injury! He is untouchable in my opinion. I would say my list of guys to trade regardless of age are this in order: brodziak, zucker, koivu, Philips, spurgeon (depends how dumba develops) or dumba.

+1 Spot on IMO