• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spent the better half of Saturday chasing fish on the ole riv... WOW, its dead, was only able to pick up a few rough fish, in a 100% fish spot.  Not what we wanted to do, but we could not find crappies of walleyes anywhere.  Oliver to Harbor.  River has been dead for me..

• 3 months later...

Saw an earlier report of many portables out behind the Bong Center yesterday.  Any word on how much ice they were on?  

Not good, dangerous.  I was out Sunday for a couple hours (first time this year).  I noticed where I was now has water near by.  I thing the strong winds from yesterday moved the ice sheet.  Been checking it. 1-5" and always changing.  Id say another week or 2 for safer conditions.  Stay safe..

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody been out on the harbor or up river at all lately???just wondering if ice conditions have improved.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really..  Was up river earlier this week and it is still pretty sketchy in areas..  Extreme caution should be taken.  I would say after this weekend and the extreme cold we are expecting things will start to escalate as far as ice thickness.  gd luck

• 2 months later...

Do any of you guys find crappies outside the bays this time of year, I'm going to bring the boat to the river to test it out and was thinking of maybe trying to find some slabs while I'm out and about....I'm going to launch at Clyde...

• 1 month later...

I was out Monday and Tuesday 3-7pm got 4 one day and 3 the next....Caught them from Oliver to Arrowhead.

I fished earlier this week, got 5, all males, but one female.  Seems like they're either still spawning or well into post spawn.

Any reports from above 23?  

For current St Louis River Fishing Reports - Click Here.

I'm looking for some pointers on where to go in the river without worrying about damaging my new to me boat. I bought a 1998 Smokercraft 17ft deep V with a 90hp motor. I have very little time fishing the river and never with my own boat. I have the navionics app on my ipad that I'll bring along but I'm sure it doesn't show everything.

Best advice I can give is stay cautious until you learn the river.  Having a track system is super key for navigating, believe me I speak for most river rats when I say we have learned the hard way a few times.  sticking to channel edges can put fish in the boat anyway.  But of course there will be times where you will want to key in on shallow water.  Buoys north is pretty easy, but up past alley and them areas, be careful.  Good luck

Right now pulling spinners and crawlers on any flat will catch you fish. I would start at Arrowhead flats and then work down river on the other flats. Fish are all the way to the entries already.

• 2 weeks later...

Water temp was key this weekend. 60 degrees seemed to be the areas the fish were biting in.  Top of arrowhead flats all the way to Oliver seemed best yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Any late summer tips for fishing the river? Going for our work fishing league next week, looking to target any and all species! Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

Trying to keep this site alive... Fished the Harbor for the 1st time this ice season yesterday. The ice was about 12" thick and VERY slippery ( and I forgot my cleats).

The bite was very light, I thought I was out of practice until I talked w/ 2 other fishers and they agreed. I swear the fish would bite, and as soon you go to set the hook, they'd spit it out. Same thing dead sticking, no matter how much line I'd let them take...they'd spit it out. 

Anywho, ended up with one keeper, and 2 sub slots, all are still swimming.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.