• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I had about 22" where I was. I drove my truck out to my spot but watch out for sharp ice. 4 wheelers are the way to go. Wear your ice cleats its slippery out there.

I wanna catch some fish. Can't wait to see your truck out there NL. wink I'll be drilling by ya. Jokes aside. I did get some as well. Not NL's spots. The fish have been negative nuetral. The only pattern they really hit was fire tiger tumbler glow spoon VMC. Gave that spoon to another angler and he said it's all they would take. Not a VMC fan yet but that tumbler worked over my regular baits.

Was thinking of trying the river for the first time, where is the best access point? Probably be walking out, not sure if I trust a river enough to drive when I don't know where to avoid. Any pointers would be great, like I said never been there and don't want to do anything sketchy. Thanks, can pm also if anyone wants to not share on here. Not looking for your spots or anything just get me pointed in the right direction

Go to the end of park point and park in the lot at the public landing. You will see where everyone walks from.

Ok thanks, what the typical walk length out there? I'm fine pulling the house a mile or so if needed, that's nothing new. I'm assuming ice cleats are also need or is there some snow?

Has anyone been fishing up river lately? I was thinkino of trying spirit lake area or else water street. Any advise as I have never fished walleye up river on hard water?

I had decent luck last weekend out from the runway on the park point airport but looking for a change of scenery.

Sunday was pretty slow for me, jigging produced a few lookers and 2 little ones caught. Dead stick had a few nibbles and that was it. Weather was fairly tolerable until the sun went down and the wind came up.

I fished arrowhead flats Sunday morning from sun up until noonish and pulled one 13" fish into the house. Marked a few others but it was slow.

Does anybody know if the mouth of the Nemadji in the harbor is boarder waters I was wondering if I can park at loons foot and walk around the corner and fish pout at the mouth of the Nemadji?(I am from minnesota and have a minnesota fishing license)

Hey Steve, Looking at fishing the harbor this weekend. Is it safe to drive my truck out? Please pm me as well I would like to keep in touch with you!

Fishing is slow and I would not encourage anybody to drive their vehicle on the river. Conditions change rapidly be safe if you decide to do it but again I do not advise it instead walk out take a four wheeler or snowmobile you be better off and better safe than sorrynot to mention there is hardly any snow which makes walking very easy this year is especially good for travel

Looking to get out on the river for the first time. I would like to target crappie in the Pokegama Bay and or Kimballs Bay areas. Not looking for anyone's hot spots but rather a lay of the land. Where is the closest place in Superior to park with a truck and trailer? I have a wheeler with tracks so mobility is not an issue. Can I can safely travel between the two areas? Thanks for any input. Dave

There is a few spots to motor up from one being 28st sand pits then its just around the corner dont hug shoreline to close as some dont freeze up. there is the fishermans parking lot off badger drive. and you can alway motor up from arrowhead landing off belknap street in billings park.

How's the fishing in the harbor? Any recent reports out there? Heading out tomorrow after work, not sure where to go, thinking the harbor or Allouez bay.

Hit McClures landing on Friday, slow out there to. Caught 1 nice crappie in about 4 hours. I would like to try some other holes out in the river but I'm unsure of the ice conditions, any pointers on first trips out? The spot I'm looking at is about 1.5 miles out. Was thinking packing very light, walking and drilling lots of holes. Waiting for some warmer weather to. If anybody else would like to go on an adventure in the next few weeks let me know.

Fished Spirit Lake today, tried everything from 7-17', a few nibbles and lookers. Upside was it sure was peaceful out there.

The harbor has died down significantly, I have not gotten much in the last 2 weeks.

Here is a video of some of the fish that I caught in the harbor earlier this year!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to do a quick post on how the river faired for me this ice season. All in all its always fun to venture onto this ice. I noticed the pressure was lower this year compared to the last couple. And that may be because it seemed to be a tricky bite, te las coue of weeks it helps when the hitch freezes up this takes away some angling time on the riv too. Some days sucked some were okay, but defin didn't have any lights out days this year. Also didn't manage to catch a lot of "big" fish but did catch a fair amount of dinks n 15, 16 "ers. Also didn't spend a ton of time chasing te gills n crappies so can't realt comment on that. Did get a couple of them big perchs which are cool!! No ice pike for me this year.. We caught one eye this weekend that was secreting the white stuff (very interesting being so early). The river is a special system and I can't wait to get back out on the open water. Let em go let em grow! Hopefully peoe had a FUN year out there.. Sometimes a lot of times, it's the environment your in and te people your with that make FishN fun. Catching can be the bonus!!

-JH

Thanks for posting. After a few ventures out this winter and not much action I really didn't give it the time I usually do. Sounds like I made a good choice. My experience was like yours. I had better luck with the crappies this year. I am sure someone was catching them somewhere, but tough years like this happen down there.

• 2 months later...

where's everyone going tomorrow? i'm gonna try the lower part of the river

What was the outcome of opener for everyone?  Fishing was good Saturday AM, but slowed in the PM.  Caught 14 walleyes including a decent sturgeon.  Heard fishing was great on the lower river, walleye alley was spotty.  All fish caught were male, including two with WDNR tags.

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 9.47.27 AM.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Odonata, you are pretty right on with your report - The area formerly known as buoy 60-61 was doing nothing, so we motored up river and picked up a few around boy scout before we had to go to family obligations.  Had we started up river earlier, I think we would have done fairly well.  Unfortunately we wasted a couple of hours down river thinking the fish would be there because of the early spring.  Caught one tagged fish also.

• Thumbs Up 1