• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pretty good fishing from the top of Spirit Lake up to the Oliver bridge right now. Troll raps slow, .8-1.5 mph against the current along the edge of the channel and you should get some fish.

Good Luck!

That wind yesterday was wicked!! I couldn't get my boat to troll below 2.5 so I dropped the drift sock in and just drifted. Fishing was great!! Big, yellow blades with fat crawlers.

I used a walker type sinker like you use for Lindy rigs and used a floating crawler harness

I didnt see a boat out when I was out. You must have been out very early? I had the same results but did more drifting with big spin n glows and leeches or crawlers. Didnt matter wich one. Water was VERY dark so I was surprised I caught anything.

Are you guys still around the Spirit Lake area or down in the bay? I get to go fishing tomorrow AM.

Finally I could log back on! Sunday on the bay was good until the hail cam in! Caught 10 eyes, mostly small, a couple around 15", the biggest was 19". Caught all fish pulling cranks, most were on purple, the bigger ones came on firetiger.

Fish are spread out from Boyscout to the entries now. Muddy waters but still a few willing to bite. Cranks are putting bigger fish in the boat lately from the guys I have talked to. Try the run up from 61 and the one below oliver. Flats have fish on them too but they seem smaller on average.

Anybody know or think there maybe walleyes in Allouez bay this time of year?

I can't speak for Allouez (Sp?). But responding to a hot tip, I had a REALLY good day around Spirit Lake today. Caught quite a few fish w/ many under size, but did manage 2 nice keepers out of the deal and did catch them on cranks baits.

Allouez Bay is pretty muddy now. I went out yesterday and it was tougher fishing. I did catch one when I trolled off the flats and the water started getting deeper. Crawler harness.

Are walleyes in that 20 some foot depth on the bay? I marked a lot of fish right when I left Allouez Bay and it dropped off from 6 feet to 20

Not really sure where they are in there. I just know people fish it in the summer, maybe mid June usually but everything is a bit behind this year.

Last year was the 1st I've ever fished Allouez bay. There is a creek towards the back that you can drag. Other than that, I would play the wind. I gave up dragging spinners in there due to the snags and lost gear.

Fished the 4th. Zilch. Fished the fith, zilch. Wife needed a sun tan today, so I reluctantly hooked up the boat, and put an old rip stick that had been sitting in the garage for years into the box. That old rip stick was hot! Boated two, 18 and fat 19-1/2, and screwed up the landing of the walleye of my life. Thought I had a musky for a while. Ouch, this one hurts. After an hour in the sun and two in the box it was time to go home to make Sunday dinner. But truth be told, I never would have gone out today had she not wanted some sun. All trolling, and all in fairly fast water.

Last year was the 1st I've ever fished Allouez bay. There is a creek towards the back that you can drag. Other than that, I would play the wind. I gave up dragging spinners in there due to the snags and lost gear.

I use crawler harness in Allouez Bay and although the snags are abundant, the fish can be, too. I like a strong westerly for Allouez Bay. Seems to push the fish on the east side.

I fished the flats yesterday. Better luck that the day before. Seems pink was the magic color.

Crawler harnesses and the St Louis River system....a match made in heaven

In Alouiz Bay I like either a spinner with a small split shot above the swivel or the same placed out on a board and troll about 1.2 mph. I learned that about every 5' out behind the board will get you about 1' of depth. Pink n white and gold n red have been hot as has the holographic rainbow and firetiger blades.

Hello, I am new to HSO and going to be fishing the St Louis River area for my first time in a couple weeks. My family and I are not looking for trophy fish, just a good steady bite. Trolling, jigging or bobber fishing doesnt matter to me. I have planer boards and love to use crawler rigs. Walleye, crappie or small mouth is what I would love to chase. Any tips on areas or techniques? Any help would be great. I dont want to be the guy in everyone's way trying to find the fish..... Thank you in advance.

Easiest way to get fish is to put on some 3 ounce bottom bouncers and crawler spinners and troll at 1.2 mph on the flats. Arrowhead flats, star island flats and the flats below the high bridge from the bridge to the end of Barkers island have fish on them. If they wont hit the spinners, wich Im sure they will, put on some cranks and bump the speed up to 2 mph and try that.

Hello, I am new to HSO and going to be fishing the St Louis River area for my first time in a couple weeks. My family and I are not looking for trophy fish, just a good steady bite. Trolling, jigging or bobber fishing doesnt matter to me. I have planer boards and love to use crawler rigs. Walleye, crappie or small mouth is what I would love to chase. Any tips on areas or techniques? Any help would be great. I dont want to be the guy in everyone's way trying to find the fish..... Thank you in advance.

I also like the 3 oz bb or 2 oz snap weights with my harnesses on the river. As far as planer boards are concerned, if you really want to get more lines out they come in handy but I rarely, if ever, use them on the river. It can get busy on the flats and I've come close a couple of times running over someone's non flagged board and getting a snag while trolling a board is my least favorite way to fish.

On the river I keep my boards tight to the boat. 25' max. Lots of times only 15 or so. Its just another way to get more lines in the water. when ya got 3 people in the boats all trolling spinners boards are a must.

NL:

Not sure what you are referring to as Star Island. Between the bridges?

Ya some call it star, some call it bird and some call it Gull. Im not even sure what the real name is for it on a map. I dont know if I have ever seen a name on a map.

I know the area well, just never heard it called Star. It's a great gull nesting area.

My two sons and I are heading there sometime Friday for the day. Is Rice's Point landing the best? Or should we go to Park Point? Never been to either. And then we'll just throw some lines in crazy

Dave e-mail me and Ill give ya some tips. ya rices is best. Ill be launching from there Friday at 5:15 am.

watch out in the river especially near the coal dock area. lots of wood floating around! I know I stuck a piece to the lower unit and got some wood stuck in the spedo hole and have been working to clear out the tiny hole of wood! the rest or the lower unit survived just fine thank god! please be careful some pieces are as big as railroad ties!

We fished last Friday from about 11am to 5pm. Launched at Rice. One of the questions asked to the DNR weed inspector, "what should I be careful of out there?". He said, "LOGS. Lots of floating debris out there". And, we certainly saw some on the way.

Went about a mile or so and fished a couple of flats. Caught three walleye under 15" and a perch. Took a ride towards Allouez bay but, detoured out into Lake Superior just for us to say we had our boat out theregrin.

Made our way into Allouez bay and thought it was a weird color; no wonder why, it's only 6 feet deep of stained water. Saw a few boats so we ventured out, threw the crawler spinners in and ended up with three over 15" (one about 16" and the other two a shade over 18".

We left there and just saw the sites along the way, hitting a small log that must've got wedged in the prop cause the boat stopped. Tilted the motor to see what's up and a small log floated off. We boated around Barkers Island. Made our way towards the lift bridge and once closer to that bay, the air temp dropped about 10 degrees crazy. My sons wanted to boat under the lift bridge. I was a little gun shy as the wind came through that canal and the waves were larger than we're used to. Plus, I really don't like to risk anyone if I don't know what it's like and I didn't want to look foolish in front of visitors on the pier if something did happened. wink

So, we just barely made it under the lift bridge and made our way back to Rice landing. About halfway there, only going about 15mph, we hit something as hard as we've ever had. BAAAAAM! I think all our eyes were as large as silver dollars. I stopped, we looked at each other and said, "well, if there IS a hole, we better get going!!" Both my sons said the log we hit was as round as a telephone pole, maybe a railroad tie.

We made it back safely, no damage to us or the boat, caught a total of 8 or 9 fish and we can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for all the guidance, some of you guys via PM. We appreciate the help with our first time out there. I'll add more pics after my sons download from their phones.

full-3704-47595-20140718_132535small.jpg

full-3704-47596-20140718_143600small.jpg

full-3704-47597-20140718_172130small.jpg

full-3704-47979-20140718_140258small.jpg

The coast guard pulls over boats for equipment checks near the Duluth entry on both sides. They are checking to make sure the boat has the proper equipment required for Lake Superior. Just wanted to let know in case you do make it out on Superior.