• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinners also worked for us. No luck in the Big Lake today so hit the bay and picked up some dinner. Pink or orange blades were the ticket

I should have hit the bay today too. I tried the big pond for 3 hours and did not get a strike. Lots of marks, no luck!

I should have hit the bay today too. I tried the big pond for 3 hours and did not get a strike. Lots of marks, no luck!

Same here. I was getting hopeful for a laker or salmon with all the blips on the fish finder.

Caught these two musky in less than 24 hrs. First two I have ever caught 39' and 34'full-48296-46400-img_20140602_205229_625

full-48296-46401-img_20140602_205155_757

Congrats on your first Muskies!

If you decide to pursue these awesome fish please read up on the proper release methods and get the tools needed to ensure a safe release for you and the fish.

Keep in mind a muskie in the protected slot must be immediately released. Placing a fish on the ground for pictures would probably not be considered immediately released and certainly is not good for the fish.

Beware targeting these fish is incredibly addicting, you have been warned. smile

The walleye bite on the river is picking up. I have caught fish just about every place I have stopped. Best tech has been spinners on the flats or cranks in the channel. Pulling stick baits on the flats has also produced well. With the water being so dark still I have found pink/whie, silver/orange and firetiger to be my best colors. Going against the current I have got bit more when slowing down. Probably because the current is still up.

No monsters but plenty over 22" all the way to 27.50". Still looking for that 33"er. wink

A good day on the bay. The pink blades produced best but so did the chartreuse. Hit a small log and it busted off my transducer but stayed on the flats and was able to fish by memory

Due to that "work" thing I was not permitted to go fishing today. Yesterday was a great day on the River. Buoy 11-13 and the bottom flats were good to me. I agree that Pink and Chartreuse are hot right now. 24" was the personal best for me yesterday and he hit on a different color blade. Sorry to hear about your 'ducer TackleJ. Guess that is better than L/U issues though.

Hoping to make it out midweek if allowed.

Osok did I talk to you above star island the other day. I had a lund with yamahas on it and I think you had a tiller chrestliner?

That was me and my crusty Crestliner Northlander, after chatting w/ you I buzzed over to the flats and had some good luck in that area as well. Good to place a boat to a name, nice looking boat you have there.

River and bay produced again today. Hit every color blade, no preference for any color. They seem awful chunky this spring.

Congrats on the muskies! Especially impressive for spinning gear.

A warning on muskies: Becoming addicted quickly leads one down the slippery slope to financial ruin. It's shocking that there are not more country songs written about it...

Tues was a great day on the flats. Caught tons and went through 3 doz crawlers. Wed was a lot slower with the big NE winds. Still caught fish but had to work and the size dropped. Did have a few nicer fish on for short times but lost them. Also caught some crappies up on the flats trolling spinners on boards.

northlander dumb question but what is considered the "flats" we have our camper at spirit lake marina this year and im just beginning to learn of walleye options thanks!!

Tough morning on the bay today. Strong winds and many boats out there competing for space. fished 6 lines with 4 people due to high traffic throughout the flats. Went 2 for 4 in two hours before being blown off the water. Hot Head xrap and orange scatter rap drew the only hits. I hope this wind dies down or changes direction!

I fished near the sky harbor airport and you needed to have your head on a spindle ,,,boats coming at you from all directions some with poorly marked planer boards ,,,But fishing was ok ,,,Boated 4 eyes,,, on natural colored stick baits,,,3 18"s and 1 short ,,,,first time fishing the river in years after getting hooked on fishing the big lake

Brutal day on the bay, ended up being more of an exercise in boat handling than catching. 2 small Walleyes to show for the efforts.

Yesterday (Wed) I got out early and fished the Sprit Lake area. By 9:00 AM the wind arrived and ended a what was a productive day. Caught 10 to 12 fish all 15' to 20" using green/gold spinners + crawlers. Decided to hang it up when the surf came up.

Hit it yesterday.

Fog was very thick. Fishing was slow but did pick up a couple. It was hard to tell were I was at

That was some thick soup yesterday. Surprised that the fish weren't swimming thru the air.

Lots of nice fish caught sat in the lincoln park contest. 40th place was a 4 plus pounder and 1st over 9 so that tels you how good the bite was. Surprisingly still a lot of nice fish up river above spirit lake right now.

That's great news Northlander, I was out in the bay today and can tell you where the fish aren't. Put in about 5 hours for 1 fish on a Fire Tiger stripe.

Monday evening we tried to hit the big pond, but the fog quickly came in and pushed us back in the bay (two kids with us, so took the safe route). We trolled the flats and went 8 for 10. Kids reeled everything in and had a blast. Ended with 4 keeper eyes and a nice pike. The bite was light for crank baits, most were hooked on the last treble and fell off in the net. Lost 2 big ones that were on for 15 seconds. It didn't matter where the Kavorkian stick bait was on the planer board line...Purple was HOT! Orange next and one on fire tiger. Stick baits were highly preferred over #5 and #7 shad raps or walleye divers. I am hoping the fog and wind leave before the weekend, but it does not look promising. Only one day of success on the big lake this year in 5 attempts!

I hate when I'm fishing and some guy tells me I'm only keeping "the big ones", then proceeds to show me his stronger of nice mature walleyes! I jus shake my head and roll my eyes. Some people jus don't get it

I hate when I'm fishing and some guy tells me I'm only keeping "the big ones", then proceeds to show me his stronger of nice mature walleyes! I jus shake my head and roll my eyes. Some people jus don't get it

I've seen that, also. However, they are within the law. What would happen if, let's say, they changed it from a two walleye, 15 inch min. and bumped it up to three but inacted a slot limit to protect the females?

Fished the bay yesterday and caught many eyes on mostly yellow stick baits. clown xrap and neon yellow scatter rap easily outproduced all others. So much for Monday when purple was hot. Lots of 18-21 inch fish caught and tossed back many 14.5 inchers too. Great day out there for fishing and the weather still an issue (fog and cold...same old song). Started at 9:30 and ended around 3. I Lost a lure to a pike or muskie, wish I could remember which lure it was... A small eye flopped on the deck when I went to grab it and got stuck with a hook. Barb was in deep, so just cut the hook and kept fishing. You just can't leave when you are getting doubles! Got it out later by pushing it through. 2nd time in 25 years, not bad considering how much I fish. Those hooks on the new Rapala scatter raps are sharp! Be safe out there and don't underestimate those little ones...