• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crestliner 1850

jimmy40

Question

I just bought this boat, It will have a 125 merc. I have never owned a boat before. I was reading some posts about this boat and I hope I made the right decision. I was wondering if I could get some help from all of you about what to expect. What to look for, question to ask the dealer when I do my walk through. I bought my boat at Crystal-Pierz marine in Albert Lea. I am picking it up May 1st. I'm excited, but also scared. Thanks in advance, Jim.

13 answers to this question

You bought a great boat. One of the best things to do is to keep reading posts in this forum about the mechanical things about boats. Undoubtedly, you're dealer will coach you on the maintenance, break in, and lubrication. Above all else, make sure you understand the lubrication requirements. It sounds like you are new at boating. See if you can find a boating class. Find out where the coast guard will be inspecting boats and have it inspected, you'll learn mountains about the safety requirements from them and there won't be any penalty if you are missing something like signal flares that are required on navigable waters.

And, dont forget, the "Stupidest" question is the one you dont ask!!

Have fun with the new rig!

I can tell ya it will feel under powered with a 125.
I have a Alumacraft 185 Pro with a 140 and I feel It could use a 175, since the 140 only goes about 38 mph.

But I think max is about 150 or 175 for that boat right.
Me and my dad test drove one last year. A 1850 fish hawk with a 140 johnson 4 stroke. It did about 52 mph.
Otherwise Id say it is a great boat and be prepared to have lots of fun.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Motor break-in is critical to the long-term health of your motor. Usually the recommendations are something like keep it under 2000 rpms for the first hour, then between 2000 and 4000 rpms for the next hour while occasionally jacking it up to wide open for a few seconds. Vary your speed every few seconds. Get your dealer's recommendation. Do the break-in before you take the boat out for the opener, or before you take out your buddies that will want to fly across the lake wide-open to see what she'll do, or the guy that will want to troll all day at 800 rpms.

Assuming you have a roller trailer, I've always had my best luck getting the boat back on the trailer if the very back rollers are just barely submerged, and all the other rollers are out of the water.

Hope this helps - good luck and congrats on the new boat.

Congrats on the boat! I've only had mine on the water once, but I love it. Since you're new to boat ownership, I'd say make sure that they go over the entire checklist when you do the walk thru. And look thru the packet they give you and have them explain what the extra keys and tools are for. Just try to absord as much info as possible and call back if you have questions. Then enjoy!

You will not be too underpowered as that boat maxes out @ 150....

I bought my first boat, Crestliner, 2 yrs ago. I alos bought from Crystal Pierz, but in Forest Lake. The walk through is painless, but necessary. Just do what I did - tell them your are new to this and they will walk you thru everything and how to operate, etc...

The motor break in period is also crucial. You'll also probably have to bring in back in after the first 100 hrs I believe for a tune up, etc...Listen to their advice and Yes, ask the right questions.

I agree on the roller trailer comments as I also have one. Make sure the last set of rollers are barely submerged. Otherwise, you'll find your boat tilting o one side or another. What I did was I got a pair of bunk guide on's after my first yr. The hardest part is in windy conditions to get the boat straight on....I would definitely get the guide on's - it will make your life easier!

You'll love the rig! Have Fun!

Nice rig! My friend just got one too and has a 150 Vmax on it and top speed was 54 MPH so you should have a lot of fun with it!

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

I bought this boat with a 150 on it.The boat has a speedometer on the dash but nothing on the back of the boat to tell it how fast it is going. Was it supposed to be mounted for me or do I have to pay extra for this? I would think it is a pressure sensor or something.What did you get on yours?

animalal --

Your 150 probably has a water pick-up in the front of it for the spedometer, and a water line running from the motor to the dash. Try to trace it backwards, starting at the spedometer. Maybe it's disconnected, pinched, debris lodged in the pickup on the motor, etc. Good luck.

Great boat you'll love it. for a first boat you got all that you need for fishing and for water sports for the family and friends. The 125 is plenty of power for your first boat.Get down a system for every time you go out and check it twice. GOOD LUCK!!

perchjerker-You were right, there is a pick up on the motor. I wasnt really sure until I took it out today for the first time. Thanks.

I have another question. When I tested the boat out I noticed a significant amount of water spray coming from the motor. I'm wondering if they mounted it too high or too low. I don't recall any spray on my last boat except where the transducer was located.

Thanks for all the info. I'm picking the boat up on Sat. morning. The weather doesn't look to good but that OK. I hope I can get it broke in before Opener. Since it is my first boat, I'm really lookin' forward to be on the lake. Thanks again, I will take any more advice you have. Jimmy.