• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Start to the "D" Season

Borch

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Despite the cold, rain and wind,(sounds a lot like most of "C" season)my dd and I had a pretty productive day. The morning was as quiet as possible without a single yelp, gobbler or turkey sighting on the first property we hunted today. After hunting until 10 we opted for a change of scenery and drove over to another property about 10 minutes away. Seamed like the sky was slowly getting brighter and it wasn't raining as heavily. Shortly after getting out of the truck we were greeted with fresh tracks all over the place, yep, started in the wrong spot again. My brother was coming out later so we headed to the blind in the field furthest back into the property. We settled in about 11 am calling periodically without response or activity for a few hours but decided that we were going to stick it out and shortly after 2 pm saw a hen across the field so I engaged her in some dialogue and then a tom fired off in an entirely different direction. We turned to look to the right and there he was strutting in towards the Strutting Jake and Funky Chicken decoy. This didn't last long as he start running towards the strutting jake and clobbered it. He was standing on it while pecking and spurring it. I ended up shooting him while he stood on the decoy. I actually missed as I didn't want to hit the decoy and shot over his head but he just kept pounding away. I finally got him lined up and this is what it looked like. It's little blurry but you get the idea.

Turkeynexttostrutter_zps09516006.jpg

He was a nice 2 year old bird with 3/4" spurs, 9 1/2" beard and weighing in a tad over 21 lbs.

Jeff2014Turkey2_zps4872822b.jpg

After a few quick pics we settled back into the blind and continued to wait. Nothing to report other than my phone decided to take a dump after taking the pics but that was the only downer of the day. My brother had finally made it out and had settled into his blind and 20 minutes later I see a couple birds working into the field and make a couple yelps and they turned our direction and once they saw the strutter decoy they both started running on a string right next each other and slowed once they approached the strutter decoy. They were too close to each other to take a shot but after some dancing around the decoy they moved apart and dad's 20 gauge barked and one was down for good. The other tom hung around for another 15 minutes before working it's way out of the field.

Here's my dad with his tom.

Dad2014Turkey_zpsae1cb1b6.jpg

His was also a 2 year old with 7/8" spurs, 9" beard and weighed 22 1/2 lbs.

Here's the two of us with our day one birds. Quite difference in the tail fan color.

JeffampDad2014Turkeys_zpsa0c2fec5.jpg

Sounds like the weather will be improving so hopefully the birds fire up a bit more for the rest of the guys who still are hunting. Plan on getting out an calling for a few family and friend before the "D" season is done.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Congrats!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Good job Jeff to you and your father sounds like a great hunt!

Good job!

I got invited to join a group hunting this weekend. First time turkey hunting for me. Looking forward to it. I think just getting a bird to respond to the call will be victory enough for me.

Can't ask for much of a better start than that! Congrats!

Neighbor_guy, I'll admit I'm hunting with you if you'll admit you're hunting with me. grin

I'd say a blind monkey could get a turkey to respond to a call but I remember what happened the last time I said that. wink

There are no sure things out there so I don't like to get cocky going into the hunt. I will say that after this week's weather, there's a good chance we won't need to take Monday off. smile

Thanks. First time in 15 years that my dad and I got to pose together with a pair of turkeys. Definitely a special day.

No more turkeys down yet. My brother hit a 3rd property we hunt and had an exciting morning with 6 mature gobblers, 8 jakes and at least a dozen hens roosted behind him. Tons of gobbling but they all flew out the wrong direction. My son is in the same spot with his bow this afternoon and sounds like he's got some in sight. So hopefully...

Taking my father in law out for his first turkey hunt Sunday afternoon and Monday. Hoping to have some action then for him.

Congrat's on the birds Jeff. Great pic with your dad and you, now hopefully the others will harvest one also.

Look's like a few feathers still stuck on your chin. wink

Gotta love that pic.

Today was a banner day with 3 turkeys shot off the same property. My brother Wes shot a 2 year old tom this morning about 17 lbs, 3/4" spurs and a 9" beard.

Wes2014Turkey_zps6bafabee.jpg

My son, Travis and I moved a blind to a spot turkey's kept using in the afternoon and I barely got home before my phone rang that he had shot one with the stick and string. Again a 2 year old bird weighing 19.1 lbs, 1" spurs and a 9.25" beard.

Travis2014Turkey_zpsf65b9839.jpg

Before we got out of the field my father in law called that he had arrived at my place so we headed home and my father in law, Marlen and I headed back out. We saw a hen and then had 3 jakes come in and since he had a short time frame and it was his first hunt we had planned on taking the first legal bird. Down went a 15.1 lb Jake with a 3.5" beard. Marlen made a great shot.

2014-05-04_182933_zpsbe3aeb20.jpg

Now my nephew got a head start on the rest of us as a youth and shot a beautiful 3 year old 24.5 lb tom with a 10.5" beard and 1.25 spurs the first Saturday of turkey season.

Charlie2014Turkey_zpsb6736862.jpg

Pretty good spring with us going 6 for 6 and a couple first turkey's shot. Pretty blessed to have some good turkey ground close by and being in the right place at the right time. Time to get the boat ready now!

Way to go Borch and to the rest of you! Seems your family has it dialed in..

Wow, great job guys! smile So, where is this property of yours? grin

Wow, great job guys! smile So, where is this property of yours? grin

I saw the hooks on your bird leech. I think you've got a good spot too. smile

Ya, but do you have to drive 3hrs to get there? tired At times it seems odd to drive down to the corner of the state all the while passing flocks of birds in fields along the way. But, I do the same thing for Deer hunting too! crazy

Well more like 5 minutes for me. wink

Well more like 5 minutes for me. wink

Well, you get a lot more buddy time in when you have to drive 3hrs together!! crygrin