• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Permit question!

Finlander

A friend of mine called me to ask if I knew if he could get a license for the D-H time periods since he didn't see anything during the first time periods.

Anybody know as the rules don't say anything about this subject?

Not if he was in the lottery and was drawn for one of the first three seasons and didn't switch out of the season he was drawn for. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Yes you can!! Actually if you bought in season A-C and were not successful you can buy back to any non lottery season which is D and on. We did this last year. You just need to ask the ELS person and they can do it.

One tag only if you already hunted and bought a tag you are done. If you purchased last year that was a mistake by the DNR. One tag purchased success or not.

One tag per year is spot on. This year we were drawn for Season A but due to conflicts decided we couldn't hunt that time period. I called the DNR and they said I could hunt a later season without issue as long as I didn't actually purchase a season A tag. We are now going to hunt season G.

Hoyt, I just stopped into Gander in EP and asked again and yes you can buy back I was told. As long as the season isnt full you can do it for 10 bucks. But again it cant be a lottery season A-C. The girl asked me if I wanted to purchase and what season since there was a button to hit to complete the deal. I didnt do it as im not sure when ill have time too.

Why does the turkey regs state that " only one permit per person for the 2014 spring season" I was thinking of doing a later season after no luck in the B season but saw the turkey regs and never went to see if I could get another one.

This buy back after already hunting a season I just don't think exists.

Right on. You are only allowed to buy one permit. If you've already hunted you can not buy another.

WALLY, I was wondering did you ask the DNR before your season started? The reason I ask is my dad was drawn for A, never bought the license though as something came up out of his control. now he is wondering if he could buy a license for a late season.

Seemed pretty clear it was only one permit per year, but emailed the DNR just to make sure. Got a quick response.

"Sorry, no. You can only purchase one spring turkey license each year.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

MNDNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

Guys I know what the regs say. I didn't think it was a possibility but go the Gander and have them do it for you. I'm not trying to get into a who's right who's wrong but we did it last year and we will do it again this year. You buy one license, you are just hunting another season as it only cost 10 bucks. Its not a whole new license. Maybe some license places don't know about it but Gander in EP does so go there and get a new one......

So what you are saying muskieman is that if you were drawn in the lottery for one of the first three seasons and for whatever reason decided not to hunt your season you can switch out for a later non lottery season correct? I know you can do that even though I don't agree with it. The point is if you hunt a season you are done correct?

Yep, thats what im saying. When I went in tonight I was given the option to buy back with my current licencse from season A that I already hunted with. I know its not what it sais you can do by go try it. Its a 10 dollar fee....

You hunted A season and then could buy another license because you didn't score a bird?

This is direct answer from the DNR license issueing agent from a question asked:

If you have not bought the license yet and want a license for a D – H time period you have to do that before the lottery season you won starts. The agent will click on surplus license and then click on the time period and area you want. If the lottery license season has started even if you have not bought the license we cannot change to a later time period. You only pay the $27.00 license fee and no zone change fee.

My input: It says right there if I didn't change my season for my first license,I am just out of luck and I can not hunt later.

Gander and places like Fleet I see have made mistakes before on similar issues.

There is a toll free DNR number you can clarify this in a second.

Could be the Gander and FF are screwing up too.....Just saying my experience is all.....

With the DNR internet forum team active year around I wonder if you won't get a quick visit.

Wisconsin sell surplus permits for $10 (res) and $15 (NR). Those are available regardless of being successful or not.

Yea I'm sure they are going to come guns blazing busting people that are buying license from their system......

If that is correct in what your saying Muskieman and not saying it is. Just being a good sportsman, and already HUNTING the season that you applied for I WOULD NOT double dip! It is what it is! You just didnt get one for the season you hunted. It happens to all of us!

Hey Chief! No need to question my sportsmanship on here. I bought a tag that the DNR allowed me to buy. Due to time constraints I won't be hunting another season this year.

Well that is good muskieman because and ethical person sportmans wouldnt buy another tag knowing they already hunted. I'm glad you know what you are doing. Thanks

I bought a tag that the DNR allowed me to buy.

I think you bought a tag that a 16 year old girl behind the counter (that has no clue) sold you.

Sandpoint- Yes, I called the DNR before our drawn-for season (A) started, and obviously I never bought the license for it. Didn't have any issues picking up the later season license after season A was over, I purchased it directly from the DNR's website using their online system.

Here's my summary/takeaway- You can't hunt more than 1 season. If you get drawn for one of the lottery seasons (A-C), and you purchase the license, regardless of whether you actually hunt or are successful, you are done. If you get drawn for one of the lottery seasons and don't purchase the license, then you can purchase one of the surplus season licenses without issue and hunt then. That's what the DNR told me on the phone when I called them a month or so ago, and it's been 100% consistent with my experience. I was drawn for season A and didn't purchase a tag. I am planning to hunt season G, and I have purchased a surplus tag for that season (at full price ($27)) without issue from the DNR's website.

Hope that helps.

Once you buy a tag and hunt a time period, you're done hunting for other time periods. If you get drawn in the lottery and don't purchase a tag for whatever reason, then you can purchase an archery or surplus tag.